chat use

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

09 June 2011 19:21

I seldom see anyone using the chat function here.  I jumped in and was wondering if from the chat room there is:

1.  A way to see members who are currently in the forums

2.  A way to invite someone on the forums into chat (from chat)

Thanks!

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

09 June 2011 19:32

When someone has flash chat loaded from the forum, their name is visible in the forum list as being in chat.  I have seen people listed as in chat while browsing the forum, though I have never loaded the flash chat myself.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

09 June 2011 19:42

I don’t get it - If I load chat, and want to get someone online to join, will I see them if they haven’t loaded chat?

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

09 June 2011 21:09

I’m seeing myself on the forum list as "in chat" but not seeing you listed, even though I do see you in the flash chat interface itself.  Kathy, you are a spooky ghost! :o

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

10 June 2011 03:49

I had to get out of chat to ask this question (I think).

kimon

kimon
Total Posts:  1035
Joined  28-03-2008

10 June 2011 08:25

The chat functionality is seldom used these days (used to be more popular in the past).

It is though, the mechanism used to conduct the annual meeting of the Society Members (happens after the closing of the elections).

You can be using both the forum and the chat at the same time, you just have to have them on different tabs/windows. Once inside the chat, there are multiple chat-rooms (kind of like IRC, for those who remember it)

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

10 June 2011 08:36

Funny story (at least for me in hind sight) - I was invited to chat quite a while ago by someone - I won’t name names. I asked him/her a question, with every bit of respect I could convey in text, about the individuals arms. In no way did I think it would be possible to insinuate that I was offering a criticism - much less a crass indictment. The individual went off on a tirade condemning me. I sincerely apologized and have never used the chat function since.

Oh well, lol

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

10 June 2011 11:00

In another internet (non-heraldic) group I am a member of, we started using Skype to hold our discussions and for general chit chat because it can entertain multiple people (can do voice chat with or without video).

Turned out this was an amazing way to have meetings and even just general chat.  I was nervous the first time, but it ended up being as comfortable as a normal chat, more so actually because anonymous factor is less so people tend to be more polite.

Anyhow, just wanted to share my experience with that.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Joined  20-06-2008

10 June 2011 11:13

Using Skype wouldn’t be a bad idea for our annual meeting instead of the chat function. Perhaps we should suggest it to the board.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

10 June 2011 11:23

Jeremy Corbally-Hammond;84637 wrote:

Using Skype wouldn’t be a bad idea for our annual meeting instead of the chat function. Perhaps we should suggest it to the board.

I gather it’s mostly a lowest common denominator technology issue.  The use of flash chat is open to anyone who can also get on these forums, whereas Skype might be prohibitive to those who don’t have mic or speakers (webcam isn’t neccessary because Skype vid casters can be on same call-meeting with Skype voice only).

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Joined  20-06-2008

10 June 2011 11:26

I’ve been on a skype call where people joined the conference and didn’t have mic’s. They were able to listen and there is a chat function built in if they needed to contribute.

That said, you’re right, it may not be the best method - but if a poll indicated that a majority of those in attendance could use skype - I ask why not?

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

10 June 2011 11:59

Jeremy Corbally-Hammond;84644 wrote:

I’ve been on a skype call where people joined the conference and didn’t have mic’s. They were able to listen and there is a chat function built in if they needed to contribute.

That said, you’re right, it may not be the best method - but if a poll indicated that a majority of those in attendance could use skype - I ask why not?

Absolutely agreed, and you make a good point that even a mic is not needed.  I seem to have forgotten Skype calls also include a text chat box for those without mics.