Henry Laurens

Wilfred Leblanc

Wilfred Leblanc
Total Posts:  1223
Joined  31-07-2007

05 August 2011 04:43

I inadvertently came across the following interesting passage in The Papers of Henry Laurens, Vol. 9, p. 292:

"[My coat of arms] will appear on the outside of this Address, but differs from the original by having the Crest of two Arms holding a Garland, which I adopted, instead of a Lyon passant."

It sounds like Laurens had no compunctions about simply changing an aspect of his inherited arms he didn’t care for. I wonder how typical that was for colonial Americans. In any case, Laurens expands on the history—such as it is—of his coat of arms in documents elsewhere in this volume.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

05 August 2011 07:28

Thanks for this.  Coincidentally, just yesterday I ran across actual evidence for what I had taken to be a heraldic legend, that one of the early New York Livingstons had changed his crest to a ship to commemorate his having survived a shipwreck on the Portuguese coast en route to the Netherlands.

Wilfred Leblanc

Wilfred Leblanc
Total Posts:  1223
Joined  31-07-2007

05 August 2011 15:12

Glad to be of service!

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

05 August 2011 21:56

I had seen reference to Livingstone changing crests—nice to know it was true!  (Wasn’t one of this family Governor of NY?)

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

05 August 2011 23:52

Michael F. McCartney;86840 wrote:

I had seen reference to Livingstone changing crests—nice to know it was true! (Wasn’t one of this family Governor of NY?)

Lords of Livingston Manor, members of the Provincial Council, two members of the Continental Congress, one signer of the Declaration of Independence, the Chancellor of New York who swore in Washington as President, one of the negotiators of the Louisiana Purchase, several Congressmen, a governor of New Jersey, and lots of other things, but, alas, no Governor of New York.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

08 August 2011 21:54

With that track record, I doubt they’ll miss the odd governorship! (Hmmm ... Governor Ship?  Nah…)

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

09 August 2011 13:57

Joseph McMillan;86847 wrote:

Lords of Livingston Manor, members of the Provincial Council, two members of the Continental Congress, one signer of the Declaration of Independence, the Chancellor of New York who swore in Washington as President, one of the negotiators of the Louisiana Purchase, several Congressmen, a governor of New Jersey, and lots of other things, but, alas, no Governor of New York.

So your basic group of underachievers….