Family Armorial

Richard G.

Richard G.
Total Posts:  451
Joined  26-07-2011

19 August 2011 05:26

I’ve produced an Armorial for my family which is now gone to print. Should anyone care to have a look, it can be seen here http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/2413733

Richard

motx72

motx72
Total Posts:  179
Joined  28-04-2005

19 August 2011 08:00

Wow!  What a multitude of illustrations.  Very nice!  smile

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

19 August 2011 12:11

Wow!  That is an amazing piece of work.  Congratulations.

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

19 August 2011 13:28

Excellent family book. I especially like the family trees. I also enjoyed reading the info on John Ball/Thomas Globe. If that wasn’t a well-known family story, then that’s some impressive genealogical sleuthing.

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Total Posts:  760
Joined  02-08-2007

19 August 2011 16:20

A truly beautiful book!

Iain Boyd

Iain Boyd
Total Posts:  309
Joined  15-10-2005

19 August 2011 17:31

Dear Richard,

I tried to look at the preview copy of your book, but, all I got was a blank page. I get the same result when trying to view other books on the same site.

Should I be doing anything else to view it other than click on the image?

Regards,

Iain Boyd

Richard G.

Richard G.
Joined  26-07-2011

19 August 2011 17:33

Thank you for your kind remarks. Momentarily the link is not functioning owing to a correction in the book’s text. I’ll re-post the link as soon as this has been done.

Arian, the story was not well known and I only came across the fact that Thomas Globe might have been a foundling when reading a parish baptismal entry in the Doncaster archives that had "foundling" written after his name. It would seem the stigma was ever present. Even then it took some time before the penny finally fell. This led to a chance visit and a eureka moment in the London Metropolitan Archives where the Foundling Hospital archives are preserved.

Aquilo

Aquilo
Total Posts:  278
Joined  02-10-2010

19 August 2011 19:26

Actually preview shows the entire book ....all 80 pages here :

http://www.blurb.com/books/2413414

Richard , congratulations ! It’s really enjoyable edition ,including family history, archival records and colorful heraldry .I like the badges of the Globe family ...the ancient three-masted ships in full sails ready to meet northern wind ...aquilo smile

Richard G.

Richard G.
Joined  26-07-2011

19 August 2011 19:34

Thank you Anna.

Corrections have been made and the link in my first post at the top of the thread, is functioning.

Aquilo

Aquilo
Joined  02-10-2010

19 August 2011 19:46

I was about to write that the one provided by me doesn’t work smile there must be a problem with linking ... anyway I found the book searching by author’s name and it worked.

BTW, it seems to be a great tool ...’ Make your own book’ application appeared and I wonder how it works ?

Richard G.

Richard G.
Joined  26-07-2011

20 August 2011 03:28

I’ve just tried the link and it appears to be working without problems.

You download the application Anna and it guides you through how to do layout and apply text. I faffed about with it for awhile before getting the hang of it. You can, in theory, upload a whole book to Blurb for self publishing and many do. I afforded myself the luxury of an editor and am pleased I did. I don’t have a graphics editing programme like Photoshop or Corell and the cover for example, was done in Photoshop. The whole book was then loaded into pdf files and then uploaded to Blurb.

Blurb aren’t exactly cheap and there are alternatives that might prove better value.

david

david
Total Posts:  211
Joined  28-05-2009

20 August 2011 09:54

Richard, sincere congratulations. Terrific job.

Aquilo

Aquilo
Joined  02-10-2010

21 August 2011 09:45

Thank you Richard.For a similar task I was using InDesign from Adobe that allows you to align the text and coordinate illustrations on two pages at the same time…sometimes useful while dealing with larger designs.

I agree, a terrific job done ,especially that it’s your editorial debut (am I right ?)

It’s a first time I’ve seen the heraldic artwork by Ljubodrag Grujic .

Richard G.

Richard G.
Joined  26-07-2011

21 August 2011 17:47

Thank you David.

This is my first editorial effort Anna. I was hoping to create a book for my family that would tell something of our history through the medium of heraldry. As I’m sure like many families, mine know virtually nothing on the subject and I hope this might provide an introduction that can be read and understood by all ages.

I’m thinking of acquiring a graphics editing programme. Joshua suggested Inkscape which is free. First however I must get a new PC as this rickety old thing is on its last legs ..... wink

Aquilo

Aquilo
Joined  02-10-2010

21 August 2011 19:07

I looked carefully through the book , at first to find an answer ...and a blazoning of your arms smile

‘Lysiak’ - is it an original spelling or maybe anglicized Polish Łysiak ??

Waldemar Łysiak is a writer ,very well known in Poland ...an architect , avid collector of books and old manuscripts ...and in the past my academic professor teaching the History of Civilization .

Richard G.

Richard G.
Joined  26-07-2011

22 August 2011 03:42

Aquilo;87190 wrote:

I looked carefully through the book , at first to find an answer ...and a blazoning of your arms smile

‘Lysiak’ - is it an original spelling or maybe anglicized Polish Łysiak ??

Waldemar Łysiak is a writer ,very well known in Poland ...an architect , avid collector of books and old manuscripts ...and in the past my academic professor teaching the History of Civilization .

I hope Anna they’re nails although I admit the semé in Ljubodrag’s version is very dense and appears rather "whiskery". I’m attaching a version of my shield Barrie Burr was kind enough to draw. The nails are more visible. Thomas Globe, the founder of our family was a nail maker and therefore I chose nails to represent our name.

My niece Tanya, is indeed first generation Canadian of Polish descent. She is aware of Waldemar Lysiak although I’m not sure they’ve ever met or are related. I would love to begin researching her family history although for that I’ll need help. She was the editor of my book, mercilessly correcting my helpless erratic style, grammar and punctuation.