New Maryland football uniforms

Mark Olivo

Mark Olivo
Total Posts:  536
Joined  23-02-2005

06 September 2011 13:47

I’ll give them credit for trying this as well.  I personally think if you’re going heraldic, go all-in and complete the uniform in the theme; not just the shoulder pads and helmet.

Benjamin Thornton

Benjamin Thornton
Total Posts:  449
Joined  04-09-2009

06 September 2011 22:32

I like them quite a bit.  I’ve always liked the arms (I must have a bias toward quartered crosses), and this application is creative, appropriate, and striking.

If nothing else, it’s a good lesson in heraldry for the uninitiated.

david

david
Total Posts:  211
Joined  28-05-2009

07 September 2011 10:26

Sort of a tabard approach, modified for the uniform…

Aquilo

Aquilo
Total Posts:  278
Joined  02-10-2010

07 September 2011 12:50

Donnchadh;87515 wrote:

yuck. problem is, imo, this team has 32 different uniforms/combinations to use this year. while i like the nod to the heraldry of the state in this version…it is just one piece in an ugly, ugly trend in sports. tradition out the window…on with the new and ever weirder (you should see their turtle shell helmets).

After while I have a question ...why the team has 32 different uniforms ??

Aquilo

Aquilo
Total Posts:  278
Joined  02-10-2010

07 September 2011 13:15

I must agree with you Coach ...this turtle shell helmet is not attractive ...and what a concept to dress people who are supposed to be as fast as possible like lethargic turtles instead :confused:

http://twitpic.com/6a7ckh

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

07 September 2011 13:53

The nickname of University of Maryland sports teams is "Terrapins," a kind of turtle native to the region.

Luis Cid

Luis Cid
Total Posts:  163
Joined  03-09-2009

07 September 2011 18:01

What do the cheerleaders wear?

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

08 September 2011 02:38

"What do the cheerleaders wear?"

Well, usually as little as the law allows…

RE: the uniforms—I rather like them!—bold, distinctive, visually exciting.  In the end, tho’, I’m afraid that the deciding factor will be the team’s win-loss record—if they do well, that will reflect well on the uniforms; & if they tank, the uniforms will be the least of their worries.

and there are so many college teams nowadays, there’s no danger of "traditional" uniforms disappearing in our lifetimes.  (well, what’s left of mine anyway…)

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

08 September 2011 06:21

I’m not so sure the heraldry is the problem, it’s the implementation…  They look rather disjointed with "splotches" that are barely distiguishable as a coherent pattern….  They may have been better to go with white Helmets with a proper flag or shield on them then done the rest.. giving the non-heraldic a reference pattern… maybe…

Nick B II

Nick B II
Total Posts:  203
Joined  26-11-2007

08 September 2011 06:49

They did beat Miami, but they recently made a point of creating 32 possible uniforms for this season.

Wikipedia’s got two pictures of their helmet on the team’s page. One is what you saw when they beat Miami. The other is a pretty standard white helmet, with a red stripe and "terps" written on the side.

I actually liked their helmet. It’s instantly recognizable, to the point that if you know anything about Maryland’s flag you don’t even have to know that’s their helmet to know which team is on the field. And it’s a lot more unique then a helmet that’s one color, has a stripe op the middle, and has a letter/logo on it.

Nick

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

08 September 2011 07:16

Nick B II;87594 wrote:

And it’s a lot more unique then a helmet that’s one color, has a stripe op the middle, and has a letter/logo on it.

Nick

But not nearly as classy.

http://drphilgood.tripod.com/images2/ala-helmet96.gif

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

09 September 2011 02:45

de gustibus & all that…though I never thought of it in the context of football helmets!

Many folk, sad to say, see heraldry as stodgy and old-fashioned.  Often enough, it is!  This new style will generate more interest than a store-full of oh-so-ordinary helmets with oh-so-ordinary logos, or even arms, painted on them.  Especially most of the arms now used by American colleges & universities—renditions that only an alum could love.

More power to the Terps!