Lessons learned from Anthony Wood

Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Andrew Stewart Jamieson
Total Posts:  244
Joined  13-05-2011

13 October 2011 16:01

Kenneth Mansfield;88747 wrote:

You did see the wink, right?

She did, it is just after having her Dad’s arms attacked she is nervous about those who must be obeyed :siren: smile

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

13 October 2011 16:11

Those who must be obeyed are pretty specific about their winks (and frowns).

I wonder…  did Mr. Wood or Mr. Jamieson (making up for the "dear" remark earlier)ever even tried doing a COA without drawing first?  Kind of "free painting" from a thought in your head?

Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Andrew Stewart Jamieson
Joined  13-05-2011

13 October 2011 16:20

Kathy McClurg;88750 wrote:

Those who must be obeyed are pretty specific about their winks (and frowns).

I wonder…  did Mr. Wood or Mr. Jamieson (making up for the "dear" remark earlier)ever even tried doing a COA without drawing first?  Kind of "free painting" from a thought in your head?

Good question Kathy! Funnily enough when we were at college he taught us to paint in freehand lions, blocks of colour etc so that we could get a sense of colour, weight and form.

Ce Howard

Ce Howard
Total Posts:  63
Joined  29-09-2011

13 October 2011 18:16

Kenneth Mansfield;88747 wrote:

You did see the wink, right?

Next time I’ll just put, ‘Anonymous Artist’. wink

Brian

Brian
Total Posts:  145
Joined  07-12-2004

13 October 2011 21:41

Mr. Jamieson,

I had the great luck and pleasure to have you do the line drawing for my ACH registration about 10 or so years ago.  That is when I first saw your work and have been a fan ever since.

Thanks,

Brian Jeffs.

You can see the drawing here:

http://www.americanheraldry.org/pages/index.php?n=Armorial.JeffsB

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

13 October 2011 22:20

Not sure what the going rate is these days for a line drawing, Brian, but I’d bet that you got a steal for the ACH registration costs.

Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Andrew Stewart Jamieson
Joined  13-05-2011

14 October 2011 05:02

Brian;88770 wrote:

Mr. Jamieson,

I had the great luck and pleasure to have you do the line drawing for my ACH registration about 10 or so years ago.  That is when I first saw your work and have been a fan ever since.

Thanks,

Brian Jeffs.

You can see the drawing here:

http://www.americanheraldry.org/pages/index.php?n=Armorial.JeffsB

Thanks for posting this again and thanks for the positive comments.

Ce Howard

Ce Howard
Joined  29-09-2011

14 October 2011 05:46

Kenneth Mansfield;88771 wrote:

Not sure what the going rate is these days for a line drawing, Brian, but I’d bet that you got a steal for the ACH registration costs.

Depends on the skill of the artist.  I had Andy’s prices under the black and white line drawings I posted above but I took them down prior to posting so I wouldn’t be accused of advertising.  :wink:

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  30-11-2007

14 October 2011 10:27

Ce Howard;88792 wrote:

Depends on the skill of the artist.  I had Andy’s prices under the black and white line drawings I posted above but I took them down prior to posting so I wouldn’t be accused of advertising.  :wink:

There’s not much point in advertising around here.  Trust me, we all know what Andy is capable of, and drool over the thought of him emblazoning our arms. wink

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

14 October 2011 10:49

Kenneth Mansfield;88771 wrote:

Ce Howard;88792 wrote:

Depends on the skill of the artist.

Well,.... I thought that it was pretty well implied that I meant a line drawing by Andy, but I’ll work on my communications skills.

J. Stolarz;88809 wrote:

There’s not much point in advertising around here.

Also, if you’ve read the Forum Use Guidelines, you’d know that by using the forum you have agreed "Not to post advertising or any form of commercial solicitation…."

Ce Howard

Ce Howard
Joined  29-09-2011

14 October 2011 11:22

Kenneth Mansfield;88810 wrote:

Well,.... I thought that it was pretty well implied that I meant a line drawing by Andy, but I’ll work on my communications skills.

Also, if you’ve read the Forum Use Guidelines, you’d know that by using the forum you have agreed "Not to post advertising or any form of commercial solicitation…."

I understand that Kenneth. So for clarification, if Andy say wants to post some of his work that he has done to show members are you saying it is advertising? If so then I guess he won’t be able to post? I put all Andy’s new work on web pages this is so they cannot be right clicked and misused by anyone. I just want to be clear so that I don’t leave myself open to the trolls. Thanks.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

14 October 2011 11:34

Ce Howard;88813 wrote:

I understand that Kenneth. So for clarification, if Andy say wants to post some of his work that he has done to show members are you saying it is advertising? If so then I guess he won’t be able to post? I put all Andy’s new work on web pages this is so they cannot be right clicked and misused by anyone. I just want to be clear so that I don’t leave myself open to the trolls. Thanks.

No, Andy is free to post his work, as are you. As an artist, he is welcome and encouraged to share his work - just not to advertise selling it (we all know how to get in touch). The link to your father’s arms, for example, did not include a price tag. Nor did the link you shared to Andy’s line drawings. That’s perfectly fine. My original comment was more in the way of a warning than an accusation. I apologize if I have ruffled feathers.

Completely as a matter of personal preference, however, I’d prefer to see (watermarked if necessary) embedded images in posts rather than always a bunch of links to the Jamieson Gallery website. You can always link to a higher resolution image at the gallery’s website, but it keeps the conversation here.

Ce Howard

Ce Howard
Joined  29-09-2011

14 October 2011 11:50

Kenneth Mansfield;88815 wrote:

Completely as a matter of personal preference, however, I’d prefer to see (watermarked if necessary) embedded images in posts rather than always a bunch of links to the Jamieson Gallery website. You can always link to a higher resolution image at the gallery’s website, but it keeps the conversation here.

John Ferguson who you will know is a member of the Society of Heraldic Arts had a lot of his work pirated and used on all kinds of merchandise. No I’m sorry we have to post on Jamieson Gallery web pages.  Provides double copyright protection.  The site is covered COMPLETELY and all art falls under that umbrella.  We had to put all of this in place last year due to a detected misuse of images.  Andy asked me to come up with a way to combat this, watermarks are not always enough and if we see anything out there then we know they lifted it from one of these pages. Honestly, you can’t imagine how many times someone has cropped one of Andy’s designs to use as a profile pic on sites like facebook.  He literally has hundreds of arms out on the web now that we have to monitor.  Not only for Andy’s sake but the sake of the client.

Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Andrew Stewart Jamieson
Joined  13-05-2011

14 October 2011 11:58

No, Andy is free to post his work, as are you. As an artist, he is welcome and encouraged to share his work - just not to advertise selling it (we all know how to get in touch). The link to your father’s arms, for example, did not include a price tag. Nor did the link you shared to Andy’s line drawings. That’s perfectly fine. My original comment was more in the way of a warning than an accusation. I apologize if I have ruffled feathers.

Thanks Kenneth for the heads up! Ce has covered it pretty much. I don’t want to cause any upsets on the forums by posting in formats that are deemed in any way unacceptable here. So I will refrain from posting anymore artwork - I thought the line drawings were a good example of the necessity of good training in heraldic art. I had Ce remove all the Ad stuff prior to posting. I realise you guys have to tread a thin line so no ruffled feathers here.

Ce Howard

Ce Howard
Joined  29-09-2011

14 October 2011 12:09

My original comment was more in the way of a warning than an accusation.

I deleted my posts with the link ~ No problem.