New Member from South Carolina

DS Baker

DS Baker
Total Posts:  6
Joined  06-10-2011

11 October 2011 12:46

Hello! My name is David S. Baker and I live in Columbia, SC. I am a descendent of Joseph Alden of Duxbury Mass. His mother’s maiden name was Moulenoux.-(Whom it was/is alleged to have had an ancestor in the fighting tale of William the Conqueror.) David Ayers-was Joseph Alden’s great, great grandson and one of the founding "father’s" of the Republic of Texas.

I am inordinately proud of my family history. We have published several books on our family tree. But being typical Americans we have not kept up with or carried Coats of Arms, since the mid 18th Century.

I began working with Heraldic Artist Andrew Stewart Jamieson, several years back. WE have come up with a device that was purposefully designed to look as if, it came from the late 15th Century. It has allusions to Normandy, Brittany, and of my military service-US Army and Army National Guard.

At one time I did medieval reenactments, with heavy emphasis on authenticity of armour and of period clothing. At one point I began my quest to Joust. However health reasons, has rendered that desire moot. But in the spirit of my desire to Joust, Andrew and I choose a "Frog Faced Tilting Helm" as a part of my Crest. It has a jeweled collar-(signifying my ability to be ransomed or pay ransom.) And most interesting of all to my mind, a Winged Poodle.

I don’t know of any other instances of a Winged Poodle. The quills in my device reflect my writing and my poetry.

My Blazon is thus: Azure a chevron Ermine between three leopard faces Or jessant of feathers Argent quilled Or and for a crest on a wreath Or and Azure a demi Poodle Sable winged Or gorged with a collar company Ermine and Azure chained and reflexed about the back Or, Holding trimmed quill Or. Mantled Azure doubled Argent.

I hope I got that right! These are assumed arms. I have not yet had an opportunity to have them registered as such. I hope I can have my CoA displayed here soon. Thank you for your time!

David S. Baker

david

david
Total Posts:  211
Joined  28-05-2009

11 October 2011 12:59

Always nice to welcome another David to the group. Looking forward to seeing your CoA.

Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Andrew Stewart Jamieson
Total Posts:  244
Joined  13-05-2011

11 October 2011 13:16

Dave has been a good friend and ‘brother’ of mine for many years and we have shared a lot of laughs together and a great love of all things medieval, chivalrous, heraldic and we have cried ‘Havoc!’ and unleashed the ‘Dogs of War’ on many an occasions….in his case a Poodle now immortalised on his crest!

http://jamiesongallery.com/baker.html

Ce Howard

Ce Howard
Total Posts:  63
Joined  29-09-2011

11 October 2011 13:28

Dave’s a friend of mine too as well as Kathy, Mike and the rest of the gang.  He failed to mention that he is an up and coming abstract artist. smile  I’m very proud to know him.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

11 October 2011 13:31

Glad you found your way here, David.  Hey, Aren’t you suppose to be writing a book and a play?  What’s this abstract artist thing, too?!

Ce Howard

Ce Howard
Joined  29-09-2011

11 October 2011 13:34

Kathy McClurg;88623 wrote:

Glad you found your way here, David.  Hey, Aren’t you suppose to be writing a book and a play?  What’s this abstract artist thing, too?!

Hush Kathy….I want him to paint.  Dave I sent you a link.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

11 October 2011 15:14

Ce, I want YOU to paint.  David is a poet and a storyteller.  If I can get you two going - eventually you can illustrate some of his stories…  Not everyone should paint (not saying that David can’t or shouldn’t - just that he’s been working the word thingy and we’d have to change the quills in his arms to paintbrushes!)

mquigley

mquigley
Total Posts:  68
Joined  06-10-2011

11 October 2011 15:24

Welcome to the AHS Forum! After you, I am the next newest member here… interesting discussions abound… very educational… for the most part. Have fun and be careful out there.

Ce, thanks for the shout out. Friendship is a very special thing… I like what Benjamin Franklin said about solidarity… "we must all hang together, or rest assured, we shall all hang separately!" Heres to hang’n with you, Andy, Kathy, and the gang… and now David!

Ce Howard

Ce Howard
Joined  29-09-2011

11 October 2011 15:35

Everyone friend Suzanne Saks too.  She’s very special to Andy and me.  My sister from another mother.  smile  Dave I just sent you link no. 3 hopefully now you can post your arms to the forum.

mquigley;88626 wrote:

Welcome to the AHS Forum! After you, I am the next newest member here… interesting discussions abound… very educational… for the most part. Have fun and be careful out there.

Ce, thanks for the shout out. Friendship is a very special thing… I like what Benjamin Franklin said about solidarity… "we must all hang together, or rest assured, we shall all hang separately!" Heres to hang’n with you, Andy, Kathy, and the gang… and now David!

Richard G.

Richard G.
Total Posts:  451
Joined  26-07-2011

11 October 2011 15:37

Welcome David. Your family research sounds fascinating, and your arms are of course superbly represented.

I look forward to reading your posts.

Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Andrew Stewart Jamieson
Total Posts:  244
Joined  13-05-2011

11 October 2011 15:51

Ce Howard;88627 wrote:

Everyone friend Suzanne Saks too.  She’s very special to Andy and me.  My sister from another mother.  smile  Dave I just sent you link no. 3 hopefully now you can post your arms to the forum.

Ce add another to the list, Kevin is in the building !

DS Baker

DS Baker
Joined  06-10-2011

12 October 2011 02:46

It has been a long time since I posted on a Bulletin Board. I am more than a little rusty. I din’t want to be too forward but Andy is a long lost brother, and of course Ce is soon to be an adopted sister-in-law.

Kathy-I have been doing my electronic "paintings" about as long as I have been writing. I actually have been itching to get my hands on canvas and gesso for a real long time. But I promised I would work on my play and I am doing so. I actually write something<i> everyday.

To everyone else who took the time to post a reply to my joining this august body, thank you very much! I look forward to reading your opinions and view points on our world of Heraldry. I promise with practice I will be able to post names, and copy & paste quotes.

Once I figure out how to do things here I am sure I am going to be pretty active.

Ce-The forum requires an avatar/picture be 150x150 pixels(?) with a maxium of 64B….The smallest image you sent me was something on the order of 94B. I am such a Luddite it is a wonder I don’t drive a horse drawn wagon to work!

A favorite quote for Andy: When asked why LLoyd George had invited Winston Churchill back into government service he said, "I would rather Winnie inside the tent and pissing out!"

Thank you again for all of your warm welcomes!

DS Baker</i>

DS Baker

DS Baker
Joined  06-10-2011

12 October 2011 02:47

Ok will figure this board out shortly!

DS Baker

DS Baker
Joined  06-10-2011

12 October 2011 02:49

Thank you! Yeah! Us "Davids" need to stick together!

Cheers!

Ce Howard

Ce Howard
Joined  29-09-2011

12 October 2011 03:37

Dave ~ I’ll have to get upstairs and do it on the computer in the studio when the rest of the family wakes up.  I’ll get it to you a.s.a.p.  Still owe you that phone call sorry…time gets away from me.

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  30-11-2007

12 October 2011 11:22

Welcome to AHS!  It’s always nice to see new people joining the group, and it was interesting reading a little bit of your family history.  I really love genealogy as so many others here do.