American Officers of Arms

mquigley

mquigley
Total Posts:  68
Joined  06-10-2011

06 October 2011 15:18

I think that a College of Arms of the United States, if it ever were to come into exsistance, should be headed by, "The Grand Marshal of Arms and Chief Herald of the United States". He/she would be assisted by several heralds, each responsible for heraldic matters in geographic regions of the country, they being: "The Columbia Herald" (Middle Atlantic states, the Federal Govt, and US Armed Forces); "The Liberty Herald" (NY, NJ, and New England states); "The Dixi Herald" (Southern and south-western states); and "The Eureka Herald" (Midwestern and western states). Each of these heralds would have further assistance from a cadre of pursuivants, with the Columbia Herald having an additional three pursuivants for military and naval heraldry. The cadre of pursuivants would be: "The Eagle Pursuivant" (Columbia); "The Torch Pursuivant" (Liberty); "The Palmeto Pursuivant" (Dixi); and "The Sequoia Pursuivant" (Eureka). The military pursuivants would be: "The Goldanchor Pursuivant" (Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard); "The Cuirass Pursuivant (Army); and "The Thunderbolt Pursuivant" (Air Force).

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

07 October 2011 07:48

I’m not sure the USMC would like to be thrown into the Goldanchor Pursuivant.  They don’t seem to appreciate teh fact they are paid by the Department of the Navy now… One of my favorite sayings when a little service inner rivalry happens. "Have you looked at your paycheck lately?"

mquigley

mquigley
Total Posts:  68
Joined  06-10-2011

07 October 2011 13:59

The Navy and the Marines are on far better terms then they were even a few years back. The Naval or Sea Services are steeped in a common tradition of which the Marine Corps proudly plays a part. Since anchors are used on the Seal of the Department of the Navy; the Seal of the US Navy; the Seal of the US Coast Guard; and the Seal of the US Marine Corps… no entity would object to the anchor as that charge which united them all and still holds a distinctly nautical character.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

07 October 2011 16:17

mquigley;88432 wrote:

The Navy and the Marines are on far better terms then they were even a few years back. The Naval or Sea Services are steeped in a common tradition of which the Marine Corps proudly plays a part. Since anchors are used on the Seal of the Department of the Navy; the Seal of the US Navy; the Seal of the US Coast Guard; and the Seal of the US Marine Corps… no entity would object to the anchor as that charge which united them all and still holds a distinctly nautical character.

Nope - don’t believe a word of it… :rolleyes:

David Pope

David Pope
Total Posts:  559
Joined  17-09-2010

18 October 2011 19:00

Kathy McClurg;88413 wrote:

I’m not sure the USMC would like to be thrown into the Goldanchor Pursuivant.  They don’t seem to appreciate teh fact they are paid by the Department of the Navy now… One of my favorite sayings when a little service inner rivalry happens. "Have you looked at your paycheck lately?"

We’ve always been a department of the Navy…the MEN’S Department….

(:pSorry, couldn’t resist an immature jibe…)

I wouldn’t object to any connection with the anchor/fouled anchor.  Modern Marine buttons incorporate an early emblem which features the fouled anchor more prominently:

http://rpmedia.ask.com/ts?u=/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2e/USMC_oldEGA_button.jpg/150px-USMC_oldEGA_button.jpg

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

18 October 2011 20:02

Aye, I know the USMC likes fouled anchors.  I understand the implication that they are part of the Navy doesn’t cary the sting it use to.  Gotta love a little service rivalry!

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

24 October 2011 23:48

From the vantage point of a former Army officer, I just assumed that the Marines’ use of a fouled anchor was a swipe at their shipmates—but then whadda I know?