Michael Quigley Crest by Andrew Stewart Jamieso

Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Andrew Stewart Jamieson
Total Posts:  244
Joined  13-05-2011

26 November 2011 13:26

This is just a version of the Quigley crest which I did but it is not the final. The lion should be seated which seems, in my humble opinion, not to apply to a sea ‘creature’ with only the dexter leg resting on the anchor. I prefer the stance of this one as it is a little more dynamic again just my opinion. I am of course going to do a second version with the sinister leg touching the ground which is how the Heralds originally envisaged it. These are all pre cursors to the actual grant of arms which I will be undertaking very soon for the College of Arms.

http://jamiesongallery.com/quigleycrest.html

cachambers007

cachambers007
Total Posts:  164
Joined  04-06-2011

26 November 2011 18:44

Very beautiful. It certainly looks imposing.

Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Andrew Stewart Jamieson
Joined  13-05-2011

27 November 2011 06:42

cachambers007;90184 wrote:

Very beautiful. It certainly looks imposing.

Thank you !  My good friend Mike is a military intelligence officer and works with Navy SEALs and such so it seemed appropriate.  :shootout:

mquigley

mquigley
Total Posts:  68
Joined  06-10-2011

27 November 2011 11:02

Andy, once again, you manage to leave me breathless with the vivid and always creative ways you depict heraldic beasts. It is in the lion’s head and the eagle that I can most often see the inspiration of your mentor, the master heraldic artist, Anthony Wood. Its so wonderful to see my crest come to life through your hand and in your mind’s eye.

I can’t wait to see the next, more passive but no less vibrant version of this crest… and then, the magnum opus… the Letters Pattent! I am hoping that it will be your finest work to date!

Anyone who loves and appreciates heraldry should make a point of having at least one original ASJ in their collection… whether it is a rendering of their own arms or crest or simply to appreciate the arms of another… When I see your work, I realize that heraldry’s finest days may lay ahead of us… not merely centuries ago!

Thanks for being my friend and for creating such ensigns that will come to represent me to the world. Like a signature, one’s arms are unique and great care should be taken when selecting who will interpret them and display them to the world. I can think of nobody better to render my arms than you. You do me a tremendous honour and I am forever gratful.

LT Michael J. Quigley, USN

Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Andrew Stewart Jamieson
Joined  13-05-2011

28 November 2011 06:56

Thank you Mike !  I wish I could wake up to a note like this one every morning.  I’m going to go back and read it one more time before I go paint.  Thank you !!!

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

29 November 2011 04:21

Yeah, Mike - but they aren’t My Dragon…

mquigley

mquigley
Joined  06-10-2011

29 November 2011 18:04

Andrew Stewart Jamieson;90188 wrote:

Thank you Mike !  I wish I could wake up to a note like this one every morning.  I’m going to go back and read it one more time before I go paint.  Thank you !!!

Andy, you are very welcome. I mean every word. Print this thread and keep it at ready hand should you ever have "one of those days"... read it again and know that you are appreciated, both as an artist and as a friend! God bless, brother.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

30 November 2011 16:36

All well-deserved compliments.  Wonderful artwork!

However, in the spirit of the court jester hired to remind the King of his humanity, "Well, the orle (or faux escutcheon, this jester never can keep that straight) could have been a tad thicker…"  smile

But then the king is still king, and the jester is still…

Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Andrew Stewart Jamieson
Joined  13-05-2011

30 November 2011 18:54

Michael F. McCartney;90239 wrote:

All well-deserved compliments.  Wonderful artwork!

However, in the spirit of the court jester hired to remind the King of his humanity, "Well, the orle (or faux escutcheon, this jester never can keep that straight) could have been a tad thicker…"  smile

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

01 December 2011 21:06

Geez, everyone picks on the poor clown!  Woe(ful) is me…

Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Andrew Stewart Jamieson
Joined  13-05-2011

03 December 2011 14:58

The 2nd crest will be finished soon.

Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Andrew Stewart Jamieson
Joined  13-05-2011

03 January 2012 13:29
j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

03 January 2012 13:35

Oooh!  That is quite beautiful!  I love the Azure wings with the Or tail.  It all ties together nicely.

tsmith

tsmith
Total Posts:  129
Joined  08-07-2010

03 January 2012 13:37

Andrew,

This is magnificent!  It was your first rendering of this crest that convinced me that 1.) I had to have you paint my arms and 2.) I needed to redesign my own crest.  Thanks for sharing this second painting with us!  We are spoiled to get to see new work from a master so frequently!

Travis

Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Andrew Stewart Jamieson
Joined  13-05-2011

03 January 2012 13:42

This is a third version and each time I change it slightly and all are preliminary to the letters patent from the College of Arms I will be painting for Lt. Quigley.  Travis, I am looking forward to painting your arms.  I’m glad you made it onto my existing client list before the 2012 cut off.

mquigley

mquigley
Joined  06-10-2011

04 January 2012 12:00

Andy, thank you for painting my crest (again)... I am always amazed at the depth of your creativity… each version of my crest seems more lovely and more perfect than the earlier versions… I am particularily thrilled to see the use of the engrailed line in the mouth of the lion…. this, no doubt, is a subtle and creative allussion to the engrailed saltire in my arms. You see more than do most people… its the mark of the artist… his eye! I am so honoured to be your friend and patron. I cannot wait to see what you will do with the Letters Patent when they occupy your mind and talents.

I was afraid that I wouldn’t like the crest redo as much as the rampant version… I thought that maybe you would lose some passion for the subject… you completely out-did yourself! This crest is so regal and elegant… its hard to believe its mine! Thank you, my dear friend. This is a triumph!