Tracking Software and Stealing Images

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

23 December 2011 12:36

For Andy Jamieson,

When you or Ce get a chance, would you check to see if I visited your jamiesongallery site today? I did visit the heraldry-dot-us mirror, so you should find me on your log there, but I’m curious if your counter recorded me on the main site.

The reason I ask is that if I Google your name for images, I get pages and pages of your artwork, including work that is on your own website. I know all your stuff is right-click protected, and yet by using the Google search feature I can get to this image of your own arms, from your own website, with no protection at all:

[link removed—point made]

The above is a link to your own site, but I could just as easily have copied the image to my hard drive and uploaded it to my own site, or posted it on Facebook or Wikipedia, all (I think) without actually having visited jamiesongallery-dot-com at all. I believe this can be verified one way or the other by checking your counter.

Just an experiment to test the difficulties of protecting material on line against those who won’t play by the rules.

(I will delete the above link once you’ve had a chance to read this, as it’s just as unprotected here from this post as it is via Google.)

werewolves

werewolves
Total Posts:  477
Joined  14-08-2007

23 December 2011 13:18

Joseph McMillan;91039 wrote:

...I know all your stuff is right-click protected…

Unfortunately right-click protection is really no protection at all.  I won’t post how simple it is to get around, but it is trivial and widely known.  As Joe pointed out, once Google (Bing, etc.) scans your site, it’s out there anyway.  Like it or not; once you put it on the internet, it is no longer controllable.  A watermark is your only real option.

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  30-11-2007

23 December 2011 21:39

werewolves;91043 wrote:

Unfortunately right-click protection is really no protection at all.  I won’t post how simple it is to get around, but it is trivial and widely known.  As Joe pointed out, once Google (Bing, etc.) scans your site, it’s out there anyway.  Like it or not; once you put it on the internet, it is no longer controllable.  A watermark is your only real option.

As you said, I know of several ways to get around right click protection so it is pretty moot to try and prevent it.  I agree that a watermark is the only real option, or just accept the fact that your work may end up all over the internet.  Hey, free promotion wink

Terry

Terry
Total Posts:  419
Joined  07-01-2008

23 December 2011 22:06

I usually place a layer over the image with some text.  A cheap mans version of watermark.  The original upload has the marks so copies will also.  Yes they can get around it…but they have to work for it.

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  30-11-2007

23 December 2011 23:44

Terry;91070 wrote:

I usually place a layer over the image with some text.  A cheap mans version of watermark.  The original upload has the marks so copies will also.  Yes they can get around it…but they have to work for it.

That’s what I usually do as well.  It works well enough for the most part.

Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Andrew Stewart Jamieson
Total Posts:  244
Joined  13-05-2011

24 December 2011 10:01

Joe is this you?

Verizon Internet Services (96.2) [Label IP Address]

Alexandria, Virginia, United States, 4 returning visits

Date Time Type WebPage

23rd December 2011 09:59:07 Page View heraldry.us/

jamiesongallery.com/

This had better not have to do with Anna or comments she has made.  She has made comments in the past about my website being ‘cloned’.  She knows heraldy.us comes to my website as she visited the site using this link earlier in the week and I wrote to her and her husband that same day as I have told her MANY times to stay off my website.  She used to visit the site dozens of times a night.  It is a fact and I have tons of evidence to prove it that Anna has been cyberstalking me for 2 years now.

Email I sent to Anna via facebook:

Once Again I see you are busy cyberstalking me. I have told you many times to come nowhere near my business. Just because my information is on the web it does not give you the right to crawl all over it I have said this before and you obviously seem to lack the basic intelligence to comprehend a simple fact. STAY OFF MY WEB SITE ! A copy will be sent to your husband.

Benjamin Thornton

Benjamin Thornton
Total Posts:  449
Joined  04-09-2009

24 December 2011 10:31

Andrew Stewart Jamieson;91080 wrote:

Joe is this you?

Date Time Type WebPage

jamiesongallery.com/

This had better not have to do with Anna or comments she has made.  She has made comments in the past about my website being ‘cloned’.  She knows heraldy.us comes to my website as she visited the site using this link earlier in the week and I wrote to her and her husband that same day as I have told her MANY times to stay off my website.  She used to visit the site dozens of times a night.  It is a fact and I have tons of evidence to prove it that Anna has been cyberstalking me for 2 years now.

Email I sent to Anna via facebook:

Once Again I see you are busy cyberstalking me. I have told you many times to come nowhere near my business. Just because my information is on the web it does not give you the right to crawl all over it I have said this before and you obviously seem to lack the basic intelligence to comprehend a simple fact. STAY OFF MY WEB SITE ! A copy will be sent to your husband.

I can’t imagine how a personal quarrel related to an outside business needs to be dealt with here.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

24 December 2011 10:38

Andrew Stewart Jamieson;91080 wrote:

Joe is this you?

Date Time Type WebPage

jamiesongallery.com/

This had better not have to do with Anna or comments she has made.

Yes, it is me, but it looks like what it caught was my going to the heraldry.us mirror, unless I’m reading the report wrong.

But I actually looked at the image and copied the link from jamiesongallery.com (through the image that popped up on the Google images search), not by visiting heraldry.us. I didn’t go to the jamiesongallery.com site at all yesterday.

I just did it again. Go to Google, search images for "Andrew Stewart Jamieson." As of a minute ago, the third result is this image of your own arms:

Quote:

LINK TO JAMIESONGALLERY.COM DELETED AS PROMISED

I got the URL for the image by right-clicking the Google result, not by going to the page on your site.

No it has nothing to do with Anna. It has to do with the other discussion about tracking visitors and whether it’s possible even for a computer amateur like me to steal images without being caught. I haven’t been to either of your sites today. The URL in my IE browser window is
<div class=“bbcode_code”>
<div class=“bbcode_code_head”>Code:</div>
<div class=“bbcode_code_body” >http://www.google.com/imgres?...&imgrefurl=http://www.jamiesongallery.com/clabiog… etc.

Anna has not mentioned you at all on this forum in months, as far as I can recall. She did explain what she was talking about regarding cloning. Please (all of you) take your personal quarrels elsewhere.

Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Andrew Stewart Jamieson
Joined  13-05-2011

24 December 2011 10:56

Thanks Joe for pointing this out.  I appreciate it. It is just comments have been made in the past about my site being a fake or cloned or a scam !! So to cofirm to all interested parties, I own Heraldry dot US and Andrew Stewart Jamieson dot com as well as a few others.

Merry Christmas !

Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Andrew Stewart Jamieson
Joined  13-05-2011

24 December 2011 11:05

It’s not mirroring the domain forwarding from heraldry.us to jamiesongallery.com is hidden.

It’s been a really interesting few days first a moderator points out how individuals can block their ip adddress when visiting my website and now you’ve brought to everyone’s attention that they can copy and save my artwork to their home computer and that my right click disable function doesn’t work. I think I prefer that you guys focus your attentions elsewhere.  smile

Please delete the image of my artwork above.  I have not given you permission to use it.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

24 December 2011 13:43

Andrew Stewart Jamieson;91085 wrote:

It’s not mirroring the domain forwarding from heraldry.us to jamiesongallery.com is hidden.

It’s been a really interesting few days first a moderator points out how individuals can block their ip adddress when visiting my website and now you’ve brought to everyone’s attention that they can copy and save my artwork to their home computer and that my right click disable function doesn’t work. I think I prefer that you guys focus your attentions elsewhere.  smile

Please delete the image of my artwork above.  I have not given you permission to use it.

Delete it? It’s residing on your server.

http://www.jamiesongallery.com/andysart/ASJamieson1.gif/codecodea href=http://www.jamiesongallery.com/andysart/ASJamieson1.gifhttp://www.jamiesongallery.com/andysart/ASJamieson1.gif/a

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

24 December 2011 14:50

It’s been a really interesting few days first a moderator points out how individuals can block their ip adddress when visiting my website and now you’ve brought to everyone’s attention that they can copy and save my artwork to their home computer and that my right click disable function doesn’t work. I think I prefer that you guys focus your attentions elsewhere. smile

Please delete the image of my artwork above. I have not given you permission to use it.

Andy:  it’s obvious that you knew even less about this stuff than I do.  I’m not doing anything mysterious.  I don’t have your image on my site, my hard drive, the AHS site, or anywhere else.  The image is merely linked from your site and displaying here.  I will delete it, as I promised I would.  The whole point was to demonstrate that what you proposed as the fix to Denny’s problem isn’t a fix at all.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

24 December 2011 14:54

It’s been a really interesting few days first a moderator points out how individuals can block their ip adddress when visiting my website

No, he only pointed out that IP addresses can be blocked, not how to do it.

The point of my doing this was not that it’s easy to work around the right-click restriction.  The question I was trying to elucidate was whether your counter would catch me doing it.  This was meant to be helpful.  If it wasn’t, I apologize for wasting your time.

Snyder

Snyder
Total Posts:  322
Joined  25-11-2007

24 December 2011 15:17

There is also the Print Screen function and the Print function that allows convert screen shots into PDFs. I have had programs in the past that would act much like the Google Image Finder does by bypassing the blocked right-click function.

Watermarking really is the best option when it comes to posting online. Transparent watermarks are the best way to go. They allow the viewer to see the image with little distortion and makes it extreme difficult for someone to edit it out and claim it for themselves. One thing I have seen photographers do is keep the preview size image untouched, but the larger image is watermarked. I did this with my images.

On another note…Jackson Pollock said that if someone steals your work for themselves, that means you are truly an artists that is respected for your work. Does it make it right? Not at all, but true.

cachambers007

cachambers007
Total Posts:  164
Joined  04-06-2011

24 December 2011 21:53

I would once again advocate the use of Steganography on images that don’t have visible watermarks. It certainly won’t stop the initial theft, but can provide proof of the image source.

Snyder;91094 wrote:

Watermarking really is the best option when it comes to posting online. Transparent watermarks are the best way to go. They allow the viewer to see the image with little distortion and makes it extreme difficult for someone to edit it out and claim it for themselves. One thing I have seen photographers do is keep the preview size image untouched, but the larger image is watermarked. I did this with my images.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

24 December 2011 22:21

Andrew, I believe the intent is (or at least should be) to point out that your current digital image protection is not as reliable some might have you believe.

There are countless legions of unethical individuals who have no regard for intellectual property rights prowling about the internet. As you are probably aware, the internet is a rather dirty place actually. There are 16 year old kids who can break into a supposedly secure account using anonymous proxy servers and password crackers or launch harnessed botnets into crashing any but the most hardy server infrastructure. Stealing digital art and remaining undetected is childs play to them.

That being said, these forums are quite a sight "cleaner" and off the beaten path of the normally filthy e-highway (although I’m sure I sometimes witlessly track a bit of digital dust in) and I can’t imagine anyone here who would seek to dishonor his or her self by not complying with a request to cease and desist use of your art in any manner outside of legally fair use at your request.  In some cases, one might say that "fair use" includes "quoting" your representation in a forum post for the purpose of critiqueing it, though I am not a lawyer and I’m sure you know more about fair use than I do.  The real problem you face is when someone attempts to publish it themselves and pass it off as their own or somehow attempt to profit from it. That isn’t fair use, it’s despicable.

If such an individual were discovered, I’m sure most here would shun him, and it’s not impossible to press them legally.

Now, since in the opinion of some veteren IT professionals, you you may not really be able to guard your material effectively using the methods you have previously relied on, would it not be worth discussing how better to manage this task? Exposing weaknesses in your fortress by others who value the same protection is most likely intended to assist in bolstering your strengths and they in theirs. The discussion benefits all who would battle against ne’er-do-wells and their theivin’ ways.

For my part, I have one suggestion for hunting down those using your art without authorization…. http://www.tineye.com. I hope this link helps.

I am always learning new things about the internet, sometimes they are not pleasant lessons for me, but the point is I become stronger by learning where I am weak.

Finally, I love your art and I love the fact that we have the honor of being able to view it and critique it in this forum, a very high honor which we should not take lightly.

Sorry for the overly long sermon. :oops: