Castle Room, Ft Belvoir

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

27 December 2011 08:47

Aquilo;91118 wrote:

Why do I have a feeling that someone SCREWED not only this one but ALL them to the panels in the most terrible way ...just drilling through these historical enemeled metal badges and coats !

Most of them are actually made of wood—apparently plywood, so screwing them to the paneling probably was a sensible and secure way of mounting them at the time.

I suspect that the move of the Engineer Center and School to Missouri is responsible for the not-so-great upkeep of the display.  Those who would be most attentive to the condition of the insignia, namely officers who served in the various units, are no longer seeing the collection on a regular basis.

carlanddana

carlanddana
Total Posts:  9
Joined  30-08-2011

27 December 2011 22:04

Think very old compas or dividers ... like in the Masonic symbols.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/86/Compas-equerre.jpg

Great image collection!

Carl

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

28 December 2011 16:25

That’s what I would have expected an heraldic compass to look like—i.e. with sharply pointed ends—rather than the rather blunt ends in the example shown earlier.  But I suppose its covered, if somewhat loosely, by artistic license.

Snyder

Snyder
Total Posts:  322
Joined  25-11-2007

28 December 2011 21:22

Aquilo;91118 wrote:

Why do I have a feeling that someone SCREWED not only this one but ALL them to the panels in the most terrible way ...

The task was probably given to some private who didn’t know better wink