London Poem by Andy Stewart Jamieson

mquigley

mquigley
Total Posts:  68
Joined  06-10-2011

10 January 2012 10:26

A few weeks before Christmas, I was honoured and priveledged to be able to purchase one of Andy’s greatest masterpieces… his poem to the City of London! Photos hardly do this particular creation justice… the colours and generous use of real gold make this document come alive with vibrancy and a timeless quality that makes me feel that it truly belongs in a museum.

The document includes the arms of the Sovereign (Henry V) and of the famous Lord Mayor of London, Sir Richard Whittington (as well as depiction of him and his legendary cat). Additionally, the arms of the City of London and of Westminster are joined by the arms of the Twelve Great Guilds and Livery Companies of London. This is a magnum opus of the first order and it is my pleasure to share it with the American Heraldy Society!

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

10 January 2012 11:53

Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Andrew Stewart Jamieson
Total Posts:  244
Joined  13-05-2011

10 January 2012 18:06

Well as Mike has posted this I feel I should explain it. smile This was one of the final year pieces in 1982 which was my second year at Reigate School of Art whilst I was studying under Anthony Wood. I had to do extensive research on the medieval City of London and went to the Museum of London to find reference material as well as scouting London libraries for any old depictions of the pre Great Fire of London skyline. It is a very accurate depiction. Starting with Baynards Castle on the left, St. Pauls Cathedral, Bow Church, London Bridge (complete with heads and limb on spikes) and then the Tower of London.  In the centre is Dick Whittington who was Lord Mayor of London during Henry V’s reign and his ‘cat’. Actually his cat was a merchant ship which made him his fortune but I like the romantic legend better! The arms are of the Twelve Great Livery Companies of the City along with St. Paul’s Cathedral, the City itself and Sir Richard Whittington. The beasts are Henry V’s. Executed on vellum with raised and shell gold. The piece was one of the 120 pieces of finished work I did during my three years at Reigate School of Art.

Richard G.

Richard G.
Total Posts:  451
Joined  26-07-2011

11 January 2012 17:06

What a beautiful piece!

Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Andrew Stewart Jamieson
Joined  13-05-2011

12 January 2012 05:46

Thank you Richard

david

david
Total Posts:  211
Joined  28-05-2009

12 January 2012 09:14

This is exquisite.

Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Andrew Stewart Jamieson
Joined  13-05-2011

12 January 2012 15:54
snssaks

snssaks
Total Posts:  11
Joined  02-10-2011

13 January 2012 02:43

It is like seeing history painting history…..or is it a legacy painting a part of history? At any rate, It is a beautiful work of art and history.

Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Andrew Stewart Jamieson
Joined  13-05-2011

13 January 2012 07:31

Thanks Suzanne, I guess it is in a way not only as it is 32 years old but because most of the materials and the way I use them are techniques that were developed over a thousand years ago. Vellum is prepared in the same way, well except for the fact they do not use Abbots urine to aid the process these days ! I use a medieval pumice recipe to prepare the surface for writing, gold leaf, the gesso recipe I use dates from the 14th Century, goose and swan quills are still the best impliment to write with. The ink is chinese stick ink, but of course then they used oak galls but that ink turns brown with age.