motx72

motx72
Total Posts:  179
Joined  28-04-2005

18 February 2012 16:25

Hey gang,

I know this is a very basic design, but exactly how would you blazon this :

http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=4&pictureid=1593

Would it be something like "Per pale Vert & Azure three pallets Argent" and then something in reference to the color of the two sections between the pallets (i.e. - "endorse") ?

Or would it be something more along the lines of "Paly of four Vert and Azure three pallets Argent" ?

Thanks everyone!  Just trying to nail this down.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

18 February 2012 19:44

Per pale Vert and Azure on a pale Argent two pallets Azure and Vert.

Wilfred Leblanc

Wilfred Leblanc
Total Posts:  1223
Joined  31-07-2007

18 February 2012 22:16

I’m sure Joe has got it right, but however you blazon it, it’s a great design.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

19 February 2012 01:49

motx72;92431 wrote:

Or would it be something more along the lines of "Paly of four Vert and Azure three pallets Argent" ?

I actually think what you have here works best based on this emblazonment though in this case, the pallets ought to be spread apart more rather than bunched together in pale, however Joe’s blazon would be a tidy alternative if the pale were not as wide. The emblazonment itself seems a bit off either way as the pale would be too wide or the three pallets too bunched together depending on which way you try to pin it.

motx72

motx72
Joined  28-04-2005

19 February 2012 21:28

Joe - Thanks for the blazon suggestion.  I knew I could count on your insight.

Fred - Thanks for the compliment.  After my crazy design from 20 years ago, I went back to a design I came up with back in high school.  And with my three sons, it actually takes on a whole new meaning for me!  wink

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison;92436 wrote:

I actually think what you have here works best based on this emblazonment though in this case, the pallets ought to be spread apart more rather than bunched together in pale, however Joe’s blazon would be a tidy alternative if the pale were not as wide. The emblazonment itself seems a bit off either way as the pale would be too wide or the three pallets too bunched together depending on which way you try to pin it.

Great advice Jeff.  So if I were considering Joe’s blazon, would the following be correct :  Per pale Vert and Azure on a pale Argent two pallets Azure and Vert :

http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=4&pictureid=1641

And if I were considering :  Paly of four Vert and Azure three pallets Argent, would it look like :

http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=4&pictureid=1642

I think I’m good with the first rendering I did based on Joe’s blazon, but I’m still thinking that the second example might not be quite right.  I really want the three white pallets to be wider than the blue & green area between them.

I’m really want the blazon to match the rendering below :

Any advice/suggestions/corrections/etc.???

Thanks!

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

20 February 2012 00:20

You might be able to try a "Canadian pale".  Not sure if it works outside of Canada but that pale is wider than normal and would fit your design a little better.  However I’m not sure if that the pallets would still be the same size or in the same location.  They may be spread out a little more to fill the pale.

motx72

motx72
Joined  28-04-2005

20 February 2012 00:52

j.carrasco;92453 wrote:

You might be able to try a "Canadian pale".  Not sure if it works outside of Canada but that pale is wider than normal and would fit your design a little better.  However I’m not sure if that the pallets would still be the same size or in the same location.  They may be spread out a little more to fill the pale.

Great thought Jesse!  In fact, I was just looking at "pales, pallets, etc." this afternoon, and I ran across the Canadian pale.  I had completely forgotten about it.  I agree, it might be another option.  But as you say, it is a Canadian pale, and I have no connection to Canada.

Thanks again, and it’s great to hear from you again.

=Jared

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

20 February 2012 07:26

I like the idea of using Joe’s blazon while describing the main ordinary as a "canadian pale" as it’s common enough usage that most everyone will understand it. (@Jesse, yes, Canadian Pale is also used for flags and armory outside of Canada.)

Sounds like you have a perfect solution here Jared! :D

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

20 February 2012 07:48

I don’t object to using the term Canadian pale, but it’s not necessary.  We need to remember that (paper heraldists notwithstanding) the width of an ordinary or subordinary is always a matter of artistic judgment.  What works best in the context of the design at hand?

We should also blazon only with the specificity necessary to differentiate one coat of arms from another.  I don’t think that such slight variations in the width of the vertical stripes would make any one of these a different coat of arms from any of the others.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

21 February 2012 21:45

Ditto what Joe said.  Also, if I were drawing a Canadian pale, it would be visibly wider than the image you’re looking to blazon.  Use Joe’s blazon & trust (or instruct) the artist to use his license to meet your intent.

motx72

motx72
Joined  28-04-2005

21 February 2012 23:23

Joe, I agree with you completely, and I echo Michael’s sentiments as well.

My preference is to keep things as simple as possible (hence the overall shield design).  I eagerly await what every artist brings to his/her interpretation of my armorial achievement.  It’s nice to know that even with such a simple design, the final result will still be unique.  After the misplaced exuberance in my armorial design 20 years ago  :rolleyes:, it is pleasing to know my final blazon will mirror the above emblazonment in its simplicity.

Thank you again. 8-)

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

11 June 2012 02:05

So I’m going to assume then that Joe’s suggestion: Per pale Vert and Azure on a pale Argent two pallets Azure and Vert,  is the one to be used. I agree that this is the best one for your purposes.

motx72

motx72
Joined  28-04-2005

11 June 2012 08:56

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison;93950 wrote:

So I’m going to assume then that Joe’s suggestion: Per pale Vert and Azure on a pale Argent two pallets Azure and Vert,  is the one to be used. I agree that this is the best one for your purposes.

Jeff,

As everyone has pretty much agreed, it seems to be the simplest & most direct blazon.  And as Michael suggested, the armiger might be able to work with the artist as to the blazon vs. the intent of what it should look like.

I like Joe’s blazon.  I just want to make sure it looks more like this :

And not like this:

http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=4&pictureid=1641

The only other optional blazon I can think of would be, "Paly of four Vert and Azure three pallets Argent".  Both are fairly simple & straight forward.

Thank you for asking Jeff.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

11 June 2012 09:20

Paly of four, etc, really wouldn’t do it.  Too many uncertainties over where the pallets would be placed and therefore how many total stripes there would be.

david

david
Total Posts:  211
Joined  28-05-2009

11 June 2012 11:50

I must say this is refreshingly simple compared to your design of 20 years ago.

Shows how important the refrigerator test can be….

motx72

motx72
Joined  28-04-2005

11 June 2012 12:54

david;93968 wrote:

I must say this is refreshingly simple compared to your design of 20 years ago.

Shows how important the refrigerator test can be….

EXACTLY !!!

This example should be used over & over & over by all of us when educating others on "good heraldry".  More is rarely better!  Although, technically not violating any rules, it definitely needed months of refrigerator time!

My old arms (never used today) : http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=4&pictureid=1672

Every component had a meaning, as well as the "expressive" use of color.  However, I would do anything if I could go back & replace this with my current design.  At least I was fortunate enough to have it rendered by the late Richard McNamee Crossett.