Blazon assistance

David Fofanoff

David Fofanoff
Total Posts:  213
Joined  03-05-2011

11 July 2012 18:14

These old arms look more like a rock band logo or tattoo. :D (think Guns and Roses) Very nice for the young and restless types, but not very good for the older more refined traditionalist.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

11 July 2012 20:43

motx72;93971 wrote:

EXACTLY !!!

This example should be used over & over & over by all of us when educating others on "good heraldry".  More is rarely better!  Although, technically not violating any rules, it definitely needed months of refrigerator time!

My old arms (never used today) : http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=4&pictureid=1672

Every component had a meaning, as well as the "expressive" use of color.  However, I would do anything if I could go back & replace this with my current design.  At least I was fortunate enough to have it rendered by the late Richard McNamee Crossett.

Maybe we should get permission from some folks here to show before/after and a few transitions pieces and post them in our regular pages as "Designing arms - - Examples"  I’d be willing to take that on… I can’t make the page, but could work up a document that the brilliant IT types can "translate" into internet-eeze…

motx72

motx72
Total Posts:  179
Joined  28-04-2005

12 July 2012 08:42

Kathy McClurg;94592 wrote:

Maybe we should get permission from some folks here to show before/after and a few transitions pieces and post them in our regular pages as "Designing arms - - Examples"  I’d be willing to take that on… I can’t make the page, but could work up a document that the brilliant IT types can "translate" into internet-eeze…

Kathy,

I have been thinking the same thing for quite some time!  And I have thought mine would be a prime example of what NOT to do.  Although it’s not breaking any tincture rules, and is actually fairly symmetrical in design . . . . it is just "too much".  A combination of too many items, trying to represent too many aspects of my life, all crammed into one shield - - ugh!:rolleyes:  It might be a nice way to help show our heraldic newbies some "good" and "not so good" examples.

I like your idea!!! :-D

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

12 July 2012 10:13

Kathy McClurg;94592 wrote:

I think it would be a good idea and fun to look at.  Maybe we don’t need a separate web page but could just create a new section in the forums that is open to everyone so we can post our pics in the thread(s).  It might be easier to manage.

David Fofanoff

David Fofanoff
Total Posts:  213
Joined  03-05-2011

12 July 2012 12:54

Great idea on the "show your examples" page. By the way, I think your new arms are very cool.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

12 July 2012 18:23

Some time ago I made a suggestion of doing before and after thread with personal permissions in the non-member area.  It fizzled out.  I started to think doing a decent selection as part of the web pages (maybe part of the heraldic primer?) wouldn’t require maintenance once it was done and might go a long way to show what collaboration, discussion and refrigerator tests can accomplish.  I started to mock something up in Word last night…  Since I have a trip coming up, Give me about a month and I’ll see if the membership/board want to "go with it"...

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

12 July 2012 21:53

Good idea; a couple of random thooughts:

The moderators might have some ideas re: member or non-member areas, & some potential contributors might also have preferences between the two.

I don’t know if we would really need a large flock of heraldic goats to make a few basic points.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

12 July 2012 23:45

Michael F. McCartney;94604 wrote:

Good idea; a couple of random thooughts:

The moderators might have some ideas re: member or non-member areas, & some potential contributors might also have preferences between the two.

I don’t know if we would really need a large flock of heraldic goats to make a few basic points.

I don’t think we should do it as a forum page, but maybe some part of our regular pages.  I will get permissions from the armigers first, draft something I think is OK, get permissions from and artists involved, then let the board decide if it’s adequate or whatever…

We don’t need a large flock.  I’m thinking 2 armigers "transitions" - not all, just a few for effect or point made and maybe a few "before" and "after" at the end for "flavor" or examples…

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

13 July 2012 15:07

Sounds good—looking forward to it!

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

18 July 2012 21:31

Got permission from 3 armigers, took their design threads and converted them to adobe for easy reading/referencing… About 300-400 pages of stuff in all.  This is going to take some time… LOL