Joined  10-03-2009

04 June 2013 13:36

Thankyou Kenneth! On your advice I will leave the mantling as is. :o

sterios

sterios
Total Posts:  78
Joined  17-10-2010

05 June 2013 07:07

Jeffrey, it’ s been a long time since we ‘ve seen some of your creations. Keep up the good work.

About the mantling question; during the time of the Austrian-Hungarian Empire, the state of Vorarlberg had the outer mantling argent and the lining was gules.

I don’t know if such an example applies to individuals too… but I like your card anyway!...

http://www.vorarlberg.at/jpg/landeswappen1864wappenweb.jpg

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

05 June 2013 08:54

sterios;99163 wrote:

About the mantling question; during the time of the Austrian-Hungarian Empire, the state of Vorarlberg had the outer mantling argent and the lining was gules.

In the Gnglish heraldic lexicon, this is not mantling (i.e. a lambrequin) but a mantle (i.e., a robe of estate placed behind the arms of the high nobility and not much used in heraldry of British and British-influenced countries).  But there are indeed many early examples of mantling/lambrequins that don’t obey the "color on the outside" convention.

sterios

sterios
Total Posts:  78
Joined  17-10-2010

05 June 2013 13:41

Joseph McMillan;99164 wrote:

... this is not mantling (i.e. a lambrequin) but a mantle (i.e., a robe of estate placed behind the arms of the high nobility and not much used in heraldry of British and British-influenced countries).

Ups !!!  :mrgreen:

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

05 June 2013 16:53

Sterios, thank you for providing the Austro-Hungarian state example… at least if I conjure up some state arms I can reference this example even if it does not apply, as Joe has pointed out, to an actual mantling/lambrequin for an individual. So at this point I’ll assume that there is no relatively valid precedent for having the outer cover of the mantling be of metal rather than color.

As ever, I continue to learn with your assistance, thank you all!

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

06 June 2013 04:19

Jeff wrote, "So at this point I’ll assume that there is no relatively valid precedent for having the outer cover of the mantling be of metal rather than color."

But as Joe noted earlier, "there are indeed many early examples of mantling/lambrequins that don’t obey the ‘color on the outside’ convention."

So while the color outside/metal inside is the most common practice, it’s not obligatory.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

06 June 2013 17:22

Michael F. McCartney;99179 wrote:

Jeff wrote, "So at this point I’ll assume that there is no relatively valid precedent for having the outer cover of the mantling be of metal rather than color."

But as Joe noted earlier, "there are indeed many early examples of mantling/lambrequins that don’t obey the ‘color on the outside’ convention."

So while the color outside/metal inside is the most common practice, it’s not obligatory.

Oh, ok, thanks for helping me parse that Michael… was reading Joe’s posts cross-eyed again. Thanks!

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

06 June 2013 17:58

Jeff wrote, "...was reading Joe’s posts cross-eyed again"

Has that effect on all of us sometimes!  smile

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

22 December 2014 05:26

My latest heraldic doodle practices for fun, while at International House of Pancakes drinking coffee and eating… pancakes.

Also tinkered a little bit when I got home. These are shield devices of family members and also one of a friend.

[ATTACH]1386[/ATTACH]

Anyhow, just simple doodles for fun.

MacEanruig

MacEanruig
Total Posts:  49
Joined  07-11-2014

22 December 2014 07:59

Very nice doodling, Jeffrey! Also, very nice penmanship.

QuiQuog

QuiQuog
Total Posts:  97
Joined  10-10-2013

22 December 2014 11:42

The penmanship might as well be hieroglyphics for future generations. Unfortunately, cursive is going the way of Latin these days.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

22 December 2014 13:32

Thanks Mark!

Yes John, the cursive is difficult to read! lol

I chose cursive because I am so bad at calligraphy that it’s embarrassing, and was too lazy at the time to attempt decent printing, hehe.

Robert Blackard

Robert Blackard
Total Posts:  117
Joined  22-01-2012

22 December 2014 20:50

Quote:

I chose cursive because I am so bad at calligraphy that it’s embarrassing, and was too lazy at the time to attempt decent printing, hehe.

Yep that’s about true…for me…. :wookie:

Overall, great stuff.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

23 December 2014 02:17

Ditto re: nice sketches, & also re: the designs themselves for your extended family, and your non-nuclear family friend!

You might consider appending at least the Garrison variants to one of the old threads re: design of your own/family’s arms, if they’re not already there.  While our Guidelines don’t encourage cadency as a general practice and AFAIK most of us don’t opt to use differencing or cadency with our assumed arms, the Guidelines do IIRC allow for that option; and your approach is both interesting and well-done.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

23 December 2014 07:50

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison;103244 wrote:

Thanks Mark!

Yes John, the cursive is difficult to read! lol

Whether people learn to write cursive, they need to learn to read it.  Otherwise, how will they know what to do when they get one of these in the mail?  ("Mail"—guy in gray and blue uniform comes to your house in a white truck and puts paper things in the box by the street.)

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/reliable-source/invitation_624.jpg