Letterhead Examples?

David Fofanoff

David Fofanoff
Total Posts:  213
Joined  03-05-2011

19 March 2012 17:29

Does anyone have any samples they can post, or offer any links to places on the web that show some real examples of personal heraldic letterhead or that offer any protocol guidance etc. on making your own?

Thanks in advance!

James Dempster

James Dempster
Total Posts:  602
Joined  20-05-2004

19 March 2012 18:06

This is my everyday letterhead which is a Word template that works well enough on a laser printer. I simply used a good scan of Neil Bromley’s emblazon of my crest and a font that I liked (Copperplate Gothic Bold)

http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=29&pictureid=1662

Oops I forgot to add the link to some local printers who keep the art of the copper plate going http://www.piccolopress.co.uk/ lots of examples of how it should be done.

James

Richard G.

Richard G.
Total Posts:  451
Joined  26-07-2011

19 March 2012 18:17

David, if I use anything at all, I use a smaller version if my shield which can be centered at the page top, and printed on bonded paper together with the text using my printer. The result is satisfactory although admittedly, this is a poor man’s solution. It can also work with e-mails, however I very rarely do this.

Printed stationary using engraved copper plate letterheads are of course wonderful - and beyond my means I’m afraid.

David Fofanoff

David Fofanoff
Total Posts:  213
Joined  03-05-2011

19 March 2012 19:25

Thanks guys.

Do you put your name and address directly below your shield or do you just put shield, or some other variation? Also, do you guys think it’s better to use full color or line art (bookplate look)?

I’m probably going to be using my home printer to create these "as needed" from a MS Word Template. That way I can choose whatever fine paper I’d like.

I tried with my full achievement but again scaling down for this makes it hard to look at - probably just going to try shield with motto and see how that looks….

Other suggestions or advice is appreciated.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

19 March 2012 20:57

Your arms are clean & simple, so printing "B&W" but using blue rather than black, gives you (nearly) full color at B&W prices.  :(

Richard G.

Richard G.
Total Posts:  451
Joined  26-07-2011

20 March 2012 04:07

David Fofanoff;92889 wrote:

Thanks guys.

Do you put your name and address directly below your shield or do you just put shield, or some other variation? Also, do you guys think it’s better to use full color or line art (bookplate look)?

I’m probably going to be using my home printer to create these "as needed" from a MS Word Template. That way I can choose whatever fine paper I’d like.

I tried with my full achievement but again scaling down for this makes it hard to look at - probably just going to try shield with motto and see how that looks….

Other suggestions or advice is appreciated.

Probably a question of personal taste here. I prefer to use a line drawing of my shield at the top of the page (without motto), and add my address (if needed) a few spaces beneath my name at the bottom. Probably not de rigueur but it seems to work. I don’t see anything wrong with using a full colour version of your shield, heraldry after all is about identification.

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

20 March 2012 11:57

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/904/powerletterhead.jpg

I had these done up in 1984 or so; about 2 reams both in note size and letter size.  The color is a deep blue and the design is raised—not plate embossed, but heat-embossed.  I purposefully did not have an address included as I was in the military and often moved—one of the best decisions I’ve ever made!  The arms are top-centered on the paper, and the crest is centered over the envelope flap.  Lyon Clerk provided names of prominent stationiers, I selected Conqueror whose heavy rag paper is exquisite and takes fountain pen ink beautifully (their watermark and logo are a Bayeux Tapestry styled mounted knight with couched lance).

When I sent my request for artist to Lyon Clerk, I specifically requested she appoint a different artist since I was not satisfied with the one who emblazoned my matriculation.  But, I guess the die was cast ... and my order was automatically sent to the original artist did the artwork.  I did not want line drawings ... but did not specifically state as much.  Oh well .........

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

20 March 2012 12:24

I have seen letterhead with the name and address at center-top and the arms in color at top-left.  For clarity, the arms consisted on the shield with the torse and crest directly above (ie: no helm or mantling) and with the motto scroll below.  I cannot say if it was etiquette-compliant, but it worked well aesthetically.