Motto

redgate

redgate
Total Posts:  6
Joined  07-06-2013

11 May 2014 15:49

Can anyone please help me translate the motto "Faith is my armour" into Scottish Gaelic and the Hamely Tongue?

Terry Baldwin

Terry Baldwin
Total Posts:  34
Joined  01-04-2014

11 May 2014 16:40

Looked up Gaelic translators:

Faith is my Armor - "Is e Faith mo armur" was the answer from an Irish Gaelic translator.  Can not find a similar site for Scottish, but the dictionary returns

Faith - Creidamh;  is - did not translate ; my - mo;  Armour - Armachd and six other variables.

Know it isn’t much, but hope it helps.

redgate

redgate
Joined  07-06-2013

11 May 2014 22:46

Thanks Terry! I appreciate the help.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

12 May 2014 11:30

It’s been several years, but I have had success by searching for Gaelic classes and forums on Google and contacting instructors and authorities via email. They are usually very helpful and enthusiastic when questions are put in context. I have even had some write back to say, "upon further reflection, I think [x] is a better translation for what you’re wanting to say."

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

12 May 2014 12:35

As a general principle, I dislike the practice of composing a motto in English, then translating it to a foreign language just because it seems more heraldic.

But:  I wonder if I might suggest that instead of "armor," you think about the term "breastplate," or in Gaelic lùireach.  This is the term used in the Irish title of St. Patrick’s famous prayer, in which it obviously has the connotation of "what protects me."  The word may be slightly different in Scots Gaelic, for all I know.

I only know this from googling the Irish name of the prayer, so don’t ask me how you say "faith" in either Irish or Scots Gaelic.

redgate

redgate
Joined  07-06-2013

12 May 2014 16:16

Thank you Mr. Mansfield, I will do some research into finding instructors on the Gaelic language. Patrick

redgate

redgate
Joined  07-06-2013

12 May 2014 16:20

Thank you Mr. McMillan for your input. Very creative idea using luireach in stead of armour… Patrick