Can I get some help?

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

14 August 2012 21:39

Liongam wrote (responding to Joe) in part:

"One other point, although you state that arms have been ‘naturalized’, if borne by a citizen of the USA and therefore become ‘American’, the origins of such arms cannot be refuted. Much like our individual ancestries, one may be an American, but ultimately of English, Scottish, Irish or such other descent."

It is not a question of the origin of inherited arms being "refuted"—but the origin is only one factor.  Remember that while in England arms are viewed as an honor granted by the Crown—but outside of England (well, here anyway—other countries are free to consider them however they wish) arms are not an honor, they are at best property; and our Guidelines therefore treat arms brought over by an immigrant essentially as we would treat any other heirloom property in the steamer trunk..

Provided the heirloom property belonged to the emigrant when he left fair Albion’s shores, the origin of that property under English law is perhaps interesting but only academic.  Once landed (at least by an immigrant intending to stay and take up citizenship) that heirloom property’s ownership and inheritance is controlled by American law and custom, just as the immigrant is himself.  And under American law, we don’t recognize any sort of heritable honors, even if (or perhaps especially if) granted by a foreign sovereign.

That of course doesn’t necessarily affect whatever rights, in England (should the immigrant ever return, or should there be other legal heirs in England), that may apply under English law.

Derek Howard

Derek Howard
Total Posts:  116
Joined  08-05-2009

16 August 2012 13:58

Joseph McMillan;95158 wrote:

.... I would suggest looking into the published editions of the heralds’ visitations for whatever English county he was from and see whether he or any of his close relatives (brothers, father, grandfather, sons) appear. ....

Just to add to the checks by others, the name Blackard does not occur, not does any varient, in Humphery-Smith: "Armigerous Families", which indexes all the visitation pedigrees and arms.

Richard G.

Richard G.
Total Posts:  451
Joined  26-07-2011

17 August 2012 03:43

And nothing in Rietstap either which I’ve just searched.

This is an interesting surname with what appears to be a fair amount of history attached to it. I hope the family research will continue.