Crump coat of arms

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Total Posts:  846
Joined  06-06-2008

11 June 2012 17:51

Arthur Radburn;93955 wrote:

A very nice canting design.  Do the gyrons signify some Campbell ancestry?

Nice catch on the cant, but no Campbell history. I was trying to exaggerate the feeling of a bomb explosion, and thought the gyron in red and white would do just that.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

11 June 2012 20:12

Without having guidance otherwise, I would immediately recognize those charges as "grenades enflamed Or."

Alexander Schrenk

Alexander Schrenk
Total Posts:  154
Joined  27-07-2011

12 June 2012 09:07

Kenneth Mansfield;93977 wrote:

crump: A loud thudding sound, esp. one made by an exploding bomb or shell.

Very nice design and execution!

Very clever! I need to swap out for a better dictionary.

Benjamin Thornton

Benjamin Thornton
Total Posts:  449
Joined  04-09-2009

12 June 2012 09:18

These arms cry out for a motto: Ka-boom? Fire in the Hole? Incoming? Death from Above? I love the smell of napalm in the morning?

Or William Tecumseh Sherman’s quote, "A battery of field artillery is worth a thousand muskets."

Brad Smith

Brad Smith
Total Posts:  182
Joined  12-02-2009

12 June 2012 10:56

I like it.  Very well done.

May I ask what inspired the young man in question to become interested in becoming armigerous?  It’s not something that is in the fore brain of most teenagers…

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Joined  06-06-2008

16 June 2012 13:23

Brad Smith;94012 wrote:

I like it.  Very well done.

May I ask what inspired the young man in question to become interested in becoming armigerous?  It’s not something that is in the fore brain of most teenagers…

Nothing particularly heraldic it seems. The kid likes to draw and his mother mentioned to him that I do a bit of art work. He asked if I could teach him to draw better and asked to see what I make, and when he saw that I do coats of arms he asked if I could design him one, and that he didn’t know people still hade such things. I would guess it was mimicry that lead him to it, seeing kings, nobles and heroes in history books, video games and movies that lead him to want one. I did give him one of my old heraldry books to look through, though, to play around and perhaps inspire an interest in heraldic art.

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Joined  06-06-2008

16 June 2012 13:28

Benjamin Thornton;94007 wrote:

These arms cry out for a motto: Ka-boom? Fire in the Hole? Incoming? Death from Above? I love the smell of napalm in the morning?

Or William Tecumseh Sherman’s quote, "A battery of field artillery is worth a thousand muskets."

I did tell him he still needed a motto to complete his arms, but I told him I would leave that to him and what will probably be a future date. I will pass your suggestions along, though. smile

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

16 June 2012 13:57

Of course, he doesn’t really need a motto to complete his arms.  Maybe better for a 13-year-old to let well enough alone.