Mantling - Cloth or robe?

Richard G.

Richard G.
Total Posts:  451
Joined  26-07-2011

03 July 2012 04:28

Never thought of it as an extension of this apparel before Joesph, but now that you mention it, it seems perfectly logical.

david

david
Total Posts:  211
Joined  28-05-2009

03 July 2012 08:41

Makes perfect sense, given the supposed origins.

Michael Y. Medvedev

Michael Y. Medvedev
Total Posts:  844
Joined  18-01-2008

04 July 2012 03:00

Joseph McMillan;94366 wrote:

Of course nothing Napoleonic should serve as a positive precedent, except the code and the pastry.

:animlol: Good as a generalisation… But in the case of the mantling-borne robes, Buonaparte just followed the old practice (probably developed by the House of Lorraine).

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

05 July 2012 17:11

Indeed!  While looking for something else, I happened upon this from Canada.

Note the torse as Azure and Argent, while the mantling (in a Scottish style) is in the Black Watch tartan.  It is noted: "The tartan is used as mantling for the first time, which is appropriate as the great kilt, like heraldic mantling, serves as a protection from the elements."  I wonder if it has been used since…

http://archive.gg.ca/heraldry/pub-reg/ProjectPics/iv339_20020038_arms_boltonb.jpg

http://archive.gg.ca/heraldry/pub-reg/project-pic.asp?lang=e&ProjectID=343&ProjectElementID=1178

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

05 July 2012 18:19

steven harris;94493 wrote:

Indeed!  While looking for something else, I happened upon this from Canada.

Note the torse as Azure and Argent, while the mantling (in a Scottish style) is in the Black Watch tartan.  It is noted: "The tartan is used as mantling for the first time, which is appropriate as the great kilt, like heraldic mantling, serves as a protection from the elements."  I wonder if it has been used since…

http://archive.gg.ca/heraldry/pub-reg/ProjectPics/iv339_20020038_arms_boltonb.jpg

http://archive.gg.ca/heraldry/pub-reg/project-pic.asp?lang=e&ProjectID=343&ProjectElementID=1178

I have never seen this one.  It find it interesting that they use the kilt for the mantling and the dove is holding thistles in its beak but the motto is under the shield as opposed to over it (as is custom in Scottish arms).  Would that be because the arms were granted in Canada and not Scotland?  Or just a choice by the armiger?

Iain Boyd

Iain Boyd
Total Posts:  309
Joined  15-10-2005

05 July 2012 18:34

Re the use of a tartan mantling -

Very interesting and, probably, unique.

However, I am surprised that the Canadian authorities did not specify in the blazon the fact that the mantling was ‘tartan doubled argent’ and did not specify which tartan should be used.

The default is ‘azure doubled argent’ so any artist without the blazon would be correct to depict it that way!

Re Mantling in the form of a mantle -

May I draw your attention to the recent posting by Mitya Ivanov of the arms of the recently devised arms of Landenok where the mantling is disposed in the form of a mantle. I quite like it.

See <http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6634>.

Regards,

Iain Boyd

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

05 July 2012 20:47

j.carrasco;94494 wrote:

It find it interesting that… ...the dove is holding thistles in its beak

Jesse, just wanted to throw out that I believe that bird is a martlet argent rather than a dove proper. :o

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

05 July 2012 20:58

After a quick scan through the CHA website, I’d say that the Colonel’s use of a tartan mantling is unique.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

06 July 2012 02:15

I’m conflicted re: the use of tartan manteling.  In this one case—the grantee having been to CO of the regiment—there is a certain appropriateness; but as a possible exemplar for others to emulate, especially in the US, not so much.

The only cultural tradition in which tartan is a significant part is Scottish—New World echoes in Canada and the US are merely derivative—so IMO one must analyze it in that historical context;  and in that context, tartan manteling AFAIK just doesn’t fit.  (I stand to be corrected if there is some historical precedent of which I’m not aware.)

Of courser if the current or future Lyon were to sanction it, we (here) would however reluctantly need to revise our understanding of what is appropriate; but I’m not holding my breath…

Michael Y. Medvedev

Michael Y. Medvedev
Joined  18-01-2008

06 July 2012 03:05

Iain Boyd;94495 wrote:

May I draw your attention to the recent posting by Mitya Ivanov of the arms of the recently devised arms of Landenok where the mantling is disposed in the form of a mantle. I quite like it.

Dear Ian,

This is, of course, only an artistic liberty, not uncommon for Russian heraldic art. Other emblazonments of the same insignia may, and likely will, have the mantling represented in the common "flamboyantly ragged" form. To add or not to add tassels to the mantling is also, in Russia, a matter of artistical choise (only it is presumed that they must follow the tincture of the mantling, or of its lining, or both), but if the mantling is fringed or corded, this already makes it not a "mere mantling".

Both the ancient habit to repeat the coat on the mantling and the modern English permission to adorn the mantling with badges are also alien for Russian armory. Not as if this cannot be done, but this would turn a "common" mantling into an exclusive, specifically honourable one.

Among the bizarre adornments borne by old Russian noble families, the Chicherins bear a sabre per fess point outwards over each of the two sides of their mantling, and the Counts Chernyshov were authorised to display two Imperial presentation portraits (granted to the founder of the comital branch) on their mantling in perpetuum.

About a year ago, the Province of Yaroslavl’ (in the Central European Russia) approved my designs of the symbols for its governor. One of the symbols was the arms of office, with a special, exclusive mantling [Vert adorned with oak branches Or lined of the same]. Due of its uncommon structure, such a mantling could not be privately assumed, but it may be, and was, established by a state authority, in this case, by the provincial legislature. The subsequent recognition of the federal Heraldry Council was duly accorded.

http://yar.kp.ru/f/4/image/90/08/380890.jpg

Michael Y. Medvedev

Michael Y. Medvedev
Joined  18-01-2008

01 August 2012 00:14

As to the House of Lorraine, which I previously referred to: here is a typically Lotharingian example of a coat-bearing mantling grown up to a virtual helmet-attached hermine-lined robe, and already completed with a "new" regular mantling.

http://bilder.a-plummer.de/2-teutschordenwappen.JPG