Total Posts:  69
Joined  20-07-2012

03 August 2012 18:02

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

04 August 2012 02:02

Claus - Re: messages #9 & 10 in this thread—my apologies!  I can only plead excessive haste on my part (not much of an excuse, isit?)

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

04 August 2012 02:25

Not the cleanest of options, but in the Biblical spirit of honoring (or at least humoring) your father & mother, how about keeping the tree & arrow as drawn by Claus, and showing the R-arrow on a white canton?

Others in the family could, of course decide to drop the canton is they wish…

Or maybe better—have a crest-beast (lion, deer, the family pet… or even that Saxon horse you mentioned?—better as a crest than cluttering the arms) holding a banner charged with the R-arrow badge?  It would then be displayed at the highest and most honorable point in the achievement ... that’s my story & I’m sticking to it… and the crest if used alone would make IMO a really nice armorial badge.

Seriously, signifying and promoting family identity and unity is what heraldry is or should be all about; and harmony is more important than heraldic perfection.  If your Dad doesn’t like the designs you or we have come up with so far, work with him to find a mutually agreeable compromise—maybe the notion suggested by others of the R-arrow carved in the tree trunk, in bright shiny gold, might be more palatable, even if the Swedes wouldn’t register it.

But if necessary defer to him.  In future years, you will want the design of the family arms to be a happy memory, both while he’s with you and after he’s gone; not a dispute you will come to regret, and that will dull the lustre and sour the appeal of even the most heraldically perfect design.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

04 August 2012 06:00

You may also want to consider that all of this transition has happened quite fast…

Refrigerator test time?...  And…  Maybe a few copies on Dad’s fridge as well…?

Carl Alexander Roth

Carl Alexander Roth
Joined  20-07-2012

04 August 2012 09:30

Michael F. McCartney;95064 wrote:

Or maybe better—have a crest-beast (lion, deer, the family pet… or even that Saxon horse you mentioned?—better as a crest than cluttering the arms) holding a banner charged with the R-arrow badge?  It would then be displayed at the highest and most honorable point in the achievement ... that’s my story & I’m sticking to it… and the crest if used alone would make IMO a really nice armorial badge.

Key question (for Claus, i suppose):  If the mark is part of the crest and not on the arms proper, would I be able to register just the arms in Sweden?

Carl Alexander Roth

Carl Alexander Roth
Joined  20-07-2012

04 August 2012 09:33

Also, I am considering a canton of a saxon steed.  Would this make the arms too cluttered?  Opinions?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

04 August 2012 12:56

Carl Alexander Roth;95075 wrote:

Also, I am considering a canton of a saxon steed. Would this make the arms too cluttered? Opinions?

What you have is excellent.  I wouldn’t change a thing.

Carl Alexander Roth

Carl Alexander Roth
Joined  20-07-2012

04 August 2012 13:42

Joseph McMillan;95077 wrote:

What you have is excellent.  I wouldn’t change a thing.

Aye, I figured as much.

Carl Alexander Roth

Carl Alexander Roth
Joined  20-07-2012

05 August 2012 16:00

Michael F. McCartney;95064 wrote:

I posed a question as to the possibility of this on the Swedish heraldry association’s forum and am waiting for a response, thanks for the suggestion Michael!

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

07 August 2012 00:01

You’re most welcome!—though I can’t pretend that this approach (crest-beastie with a charged flag) is in any sense original.  In some cases the banner repeats the arms; in others it carries some other badge or charge.  Will be interesting to see if this will pass the Swedes’ scrutiny!

Carl Alexander Roth

Carl Alexander Roth
Joined  20-07-2012

07 August 2012 07:25

Well, I’ve posed the question on both the English and Swedish forums of the Swedish Heraldry Society and the only response I’ve received is that letters are NOT strictly forbidden in Swedish heraldry.  So I think I may be good to go with this option assuming my father buys off on it. :rolleyes:

Carl Alexander Roth

Carl Alexander Roth
Joined  20-07-2012

10 August 2012 14:27

This may be the worst idea ever… but what is brainstorming for anyway?  I was considering changing the charge from a full tree to a blacksmith’s hammer with roots coming out of the bottom of it….  Is this sort of charge (almost a chimera of sorts .... ) in poor taste?  Not done?  Filled with fail?

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

10 August 2012 15:21

Uncommon but not unheard of. Still, I think I’d shy away from it personally. What is the significance of the hammer? It seems like a great crest (an arm holding a blacksmith’s hammer) to me.

Carl Alexander Roth

Carl Alexander Roth
Joined  20-07-2012

10 August 2012 18:37

Kenneth Mansfield;95202 wrote:

What is the significance of the hammer?

Our oldest ancestor was a blacksmith, and there has been many blacksmiths or other types of metal workers in my line (including me).  Also, I think the design MIGHT appeal more to my father.

Richard G.

Richard G.
Total Posts:  451
Joined  26-07-2011

11 August 2012 02:41

I agree with Kenneth (an arm holding a blacksmith’s hammer) would make a splendid crest. One of these occasions when I’d like to sit down with your father and over a beer, have a chat, på Svensk, about heraldry.

Carl, are you the eldest son? I ask because I’m wondering about the possibility for a work-around.