Finally…a design I don’t have doubts on.

Snyder

Snyder
Total Posts:  322
Joined  25-11-2007

16 August 2012 00:39

I’ve been sitting on this design for awhile now and have finally decided that I want to assume this as my official arms. I’d like to get feedback from the Society to solidify my decision. As some of you may recall, for the past couple of years I have been juggling through some designs and when I put them up for review I received a lot of good feedback and guidance. Now I am doing the same. It has passed the "refrigerator" test, I’m happy with it, and ready to go to the next step. I still need to work the artwork for the cardinal, but this is essentially it.

And finally, I am EXTREMELY out of practice on my, albeit basic, blazoning ability, but I wanted to give this a go:

Gules, a chevron cottised argent with 3 cardinals natural, two mullets argent chief, one mullet argent base.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b146/Snydercrew/take2.jpg

werewolves

werewolves
Total Posts:  477
Joined  14-08-2007

16 August 2012 01:05

Maybe:

Gules between three mullets Argent on a chevron cottised Argent three cardinals Proper

James Dempster

James Dempster
Total Posts:  602
Joined  20-05-2004

16 August 2012 03:12

Gules on a chveron cottised between three stars Argent three Cardinals (Cardinalis Cardinalis) Proper

James

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

16 August 2012 08:04

Agree with James’s preference for calling a star a star (assuming you intend them to represent stars and not spur rowels), but I personally would blazon the caridinals as gules.  No reason you can’t do that and still include the minor black markings on the face.  And you avoid having to specify that they are male cardinals, since a female cardinal proper looks like this:

http://www.wvpics.com/pics/FemaleCardinal.jpg

Plus I just philosophically prefer to blazon using the heraldic tinctures rather than "proper" whenever possible.

motx72

motx72
Total Posts:  179
Joined  28-04-2005

16 August 2012 08:12

Joseph McMillan;95299 wrote:

I personally would blazon the cardinals as gules.  No reason you can’t do that and still include the minor black markings on the face.

Plus I just philosophically prefer to blazon using the heraldic tinctures rather than "proper" whenever possible.

My thoughts exactly.  As for the design . . . . nice!  8-)

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

16 August 2012 09:34

It’s a nice design. Personally I’d prefer the tinctures and charges reversed, but that’s just because the cardinals would benefit from being bigger and the stars wouldn’t be hurt at all by being forced onto the chevron.

Argent on a chevron cottised between three cardinals Gules three stars Argent.

But that’s just me I’m sure.

Joseph Staub

Joseph Staub
Total Posts:  211
Joined  26-08-2006

16 August 2012 09:43

I agree with Mr. Mansfield.  Still, a cool and dynamic design! Well done!

"Plus I just philosophically prefer to blazon using the heraldic tinctures rather than "proper" whenever possible."

Indeed, especially since so many animals vary greatly in color across species and seasons. Some bears have a ‘cinnamon" phase, for example. (Maybe we can call this Mr. McMillan’s "cardinal" rule.)

tsmith

tsmith
Total Posts:  129
Joined  08-07-2010

16 August 2012 09:45

This is a nice design and if you are happy with it great, although I personally like Kenneth’s suggestion of reversing the tinctures and charges.  Certainly the cardinals would benefit from being bigger that way but I suppose that depends upon whether you wish to emphasize the cardinals or the stars more.

Snyder

Snyder
Joined  25-11-2007

16 August 2012 14:36

See, this why I bring things to you guys! I had originally toyed with Ken’s suggestion but for some reason I didnt go with it. When I get home I am going to switch things around again.

My biggest thing was settling on the charges and division, so adjustments like that are minor in the big scheme of things.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

16 August 2012 15:20

I guess the choice between the two main options most recently discussed would depend in large part on whether you prefer a red or white field; and perhaps on the relative symbolic importance of stars vs birds.  (And of course due concern for any possible infringement or too close for comfort similarity to any existing arms.)

If you want a red field, another way to have the birdies on the chevron a bit bigger would be to drop the cottises (unless they’re necessary to avoid infringement)  & make the chevron a bit fatter—but whether that would make for a better (more personally appealing) overall design would be a personal call; & at least it would call for another refrigerator test comparing it with the other version(s) still in the running.

Patience is a major heraldic virtue…

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

16 August 2012 18:18

Kenneth Mansfield;95305 wrote:

It’s a nice design. Personally I’d prefer the tinctures and charges reversed, but that’s just because the cardinals would benefit from being bigger and the stars wouldn’t be hurt at all by being forced onto the chevron.

Argent on a chevron cottised between three cardinals Gules three stars Argent.

But that’s just me I’m sure.

Ditto Kenneth’s thoughts.

David Pope

David Pope
Total Posts:  559
Joined  17-09-2010

16 August 2012 20:40

My preference:

Argent on a chevron between three cardinals Gules three stars Argent.

Crest:  A cardinal Gules charged on it’s breast with a star Argent.

Snyder

Snyder
Joined  25-11-2007

16 August 2012 23:05

I agree with the consensus on reversing everything. It looks cleaner and has a better balance with everything. This is why I bring things to you guys wink

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

16 August 2012 23:10

Very, very nice.

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

16 August 2012 23:28

Yeah.  I like this one a lot!  Very nice.  I think that’s a winner right there.

Snyder

Snyder
Joined  25-11-2007

16 August 2012 23:34

Thank you! Now to proceed to the next step…researching to make sure I’m not infringing anywhere. Any recommendations on where I should start off with that?