CoA ideas

Robert Blackard

Robert Blackard
Total Posts:  117
Joined  22-01-2012

06 October 2012 03:23

The pictures are my idea’s that I did over the summer. Im not married to these ideas, but I like where it’s going. However, a little more brainstorming will be better. Im still trying to understand what im really looking for, or what do I reflect.

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

06 October 2012 18:06

Robert you have some interesting ideas here.  Can you please elaborate on what the thoughts are behind the designs?  Why are the colors that you’re thinking of using?

I would reconsider using the books and/or the degree to symbolize education.  As you’ve probably read in many other threads here, the use of books for education is fairly common and cliche.  And, the fact that you have a COA of your own shows that you are an educated person already.  I almost fell into theaametrap myself and had to really think about what I wanted to show and how to show it.  I’m not sure what exactly you’re meaning with the books but perhaps you could use your college mascot or university’s colors instead to allude to your education?

As for the designs themselves, I like them.  The one that really jumps out at me is Scan 5.  I’m very curious to see what colors you are thinking about using.  I do like the design but am a little hesitant because it seems very literal (a fish swimming the ocean under a gorgeous morning sun).  Because of that, it can read a little "landscape art" ( the same can be said for the last idea as well).  However, like I said before, I actuall really like the design a lot.  It’s just something to thing about.  Also, I don’t think you need the border.  Unless there is a specific meaning for it, it just looks like a decorative frame and, while nice, not really necessary.

I also like the design with the Pale.  I find pales to be very elegant in designs.  Are you planning on getting rid of the chevron behind it?

This is a great starting point.  I’m looking forward to seeing what comes out of these design ideas!

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

06 October 2012 18:45

Nice drawings Robert!

First thing I would caution you about though, is that you are going a little on the "scenic" side with some of these. IMHO, scenic does not make for good solid early period heraldry.

The sun rays used in a couple of the backgrounds might translate to a field division of gyronny.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

07 October 2012 08:51

I agree you have some decent starts here.  Rather than using a book and/or scroll for education, can you identify a symbol for your "subject" area.

I also agree with the "scenic" side comments from Jeffrey.

A little more "detail" on what you are trying to represent and the color schemes you are considering might be helpful in brainstorming.

Robert Blackard

Robert Blackard
Joined  22-01-2012

07 October 2012 18:55

Thanks everyone for your input, I kind of felt the same way. I felt I was getting really Godey. I like what I did, but I didn’t like where it was going or felt that it didn’t reflect who I am.

Thank you Jesse, it’s good to know that just having a CoA is a given of being educated. And yes, the book was something to show that education was part of me. The pale, I like as well, but the chevron didn’t feel like it should be there. I like chevron’s, it’s just I don’t want to use one because everyone use’s one… I may be overthinking this and may have a chevron in the future.

Well, see what comes out of my mined in the next few months.

Goal #1 Don’t be Godey.

Goal #2 KISS (Keep it Simple Silly).

Goal #3 When in doubt, put it to the side to look over another day.

With that if i’m having a hard time with designing, I know that I have a lot of recourses here that can help.

Thanks! smile

Robert Blackard

Robert Blackard
Joined  22-01-2012

08 October 2012 14:38

This morning, while reading my Mental Health text book for class (funny, I know), I got a spur of inspiration! I feel that this is a good start on something great, but i’m going to take it slow with this one to really see if this design is right for me.

I feel what im showing is what I love about where I was born and what I love about the place where I live. With that showing that life is full of them. The three chevrons represent the Cascade Mountains that I see everyday. I feel that mountains symbolizes the obstacles that we face everyday, but knowing with hard work, we can overcome them. Also, the life that comes out of mountains.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

08 October 2012 16:05

I would venture to blazon your latest idea as…

three chevronels braced fretting an orle

Your design looks great although I would pattern the overlaps of the chevronels from dexter to sinister rather than having the center be the lowest layered.

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

08 October 2012 17:30

I quite like this new design.  A LOT!  I think this is a great start.  Have you thought about colors yet?

Robert Blackard

Robert Blackard
Joined  22-01-2012

08 October 2012 18:40

j.carrasco;96025 wrote:

I quite like this new design.  A LOT!  I think this is a great start.  Have you thought about colors yet?

Colors, oh boy… I do know that I like blue. I would like to have some texture to it. All in all, something that will complement everything.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

08 October 2012 18:49

Robert Blackard;96034 wrote:

Colors, oh boy… I do know that I like blue. I would like to have some texture to it. All in all, something that will complement everything.

A potentially helpful idea for the tincture of the field…

If you could go right now and pay cash for a brand new car of your choice, what color would it be?

Robert Blackard

Robert Blackard
Joined  22-01-2012

08 October 2012 19:03

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison;96037 wrote:

A potentially helpful idea for the tincture of the field…

If you could go right now and pay cash for a brand new car of your choice, what color would it be?

Cobalt or Steel blue and maybe a dark red. lol

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

09 October 2012 00:06

I like it a lot, but it looks familiar. Now I just have to figure out why.

Robert Blackard

Robert Blackard
Joined  22-01-2012

09 October 2012 03:02

Kenneth Mansfield;96048 wrote:

Well thats not good. :( lol Im not married to this one, so no worries.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

09 October 2012 04:04

Kenneth Mansfield;96048 wrote:

<sigh>  Robert, Look at Kenneth’s Avatar…. :facepalm:

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

09 October 2012 04:17

I like the new design best, but throwing a quick thought into the mix -

An Ard is a specific type of plow.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ard_(plough)

I kind of like the quadrangular Ard picture (about mid article).

What about Argent a quadrangular ard Sable?  (or Argent an Ard Sable)

Could be too simple but we can work on it…

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

09 October 2012 10:33

No, Kathy. That’s not it. I think it may be as simple as this: If you do a Google image search for "chevronels braced", this is one of the first you see.

<div class=“bbcode_center” >
http://lochac.sca.org/LRoA/Emblazons/Catherine_Digbie_of_Sherborne.gif

source
</div>