CoA ideas

motx72

motx72
Total Posts:  179
Joined  28-04-2005

17 October 2012 15:09

Kenneth Mansfield;96170 wrote:

You are absolutely correct that SCA arms are not to be one’s real arms and they are not to be used in real life. However, I would use the same standards concerning the difference of SCA arms that I would use with any other jurisdiction, not due to authority but rather of decency. wink

mjsmith

mjsmith
Total Posts:  121
Joined  15-08-2012

17 October 2012 15:40

Kenneth Mansfield;96154 wrote:

What if you changed the Azure chevronels to Sable and had each one terminate in a heart? "black heart"

<div class=“bbcode_center” >
http://imageshack.us/a/img835/7163/blackard04.png

</div>

I like the canting, but perhaps rather then a Blackheart, a Black Hart.  Antlers or even a deer itself?

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

17 October 2012 15:52

mjsmith;96172 wrote:

I like the canting, but perhaps rather then a Blackheart, a Black Hart.  Antlers or even a deer itself?

I like that idea (a lot actually), but it certainly isn’t as easy to incorporate into the idea last put forth by the OP as the hearts were. smile

mjsmith

mjsmith
Total Posts:  121
Joined  15-08-2012

17 October 2012 16:14

Kenneth Mansfield;96173 wrote:

...it certainly isn’t as easy to incorporate into the idea last put forth by the OP as the hearts were. smile

Yet somehow I sense that you are figuring out a way to make it work at this very moment.:wink:

David Pope

David Pope
Total Posts:  559
Joined  17-09-2010

17 October 2012 16:51

Kenneth Mansfield;96173 wrote:

I like that idea (a lot actually), but it certainly isn’t as easy to incorporate into the idea last put forth by the OP as the hearts were. smile

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

18 October 2012 10:09

David Pope;96175 wrote:

That’s why you should put it in the crest! smile

While that is a great idea - especially from a design perspective - I feel like canting arms are more effective than canting crests. But that may just be me.

[Cue Joe or James to offer tens of examples of canting crests over the centuries.]

Robert Blackard

Robert Blackard
Total Posts:  117
Joined  22-01-2012

18 October 2012 14:11

Wow, a lot of stuff has happen since I’ve been gone… Sorry for not replying as fast as I should. School and my internship have been keeping me busy.

To start, I like the ideas of Kenneth, giving the three options I would say the 3rd one is a good start. Because, after giving it a lot of consideration, I feel that taking out the Orle would make it less busy and would add something within the Chief, maybe an animal, birth flower (Gladiolus), a book or it could be the scale again. The black hart design, I like it but it’s not for me. I’m learning that this is a slow process and I really have take my time on what I like.

Again, sorry for not keeping in with the conversations, I’ll try to keep at it. I am very grateful for everyone’s input, thanks!

P.S. That’s some great news about the SCA info!

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

18 October 2012 14:16

Kenneth Mansfield;96154 wrote:

What if you changed the Azure chevronels to Sable and had each one terminate in a heart? "black heart"

<div class=“bbcode_center” >
http://imageshack.us/a/img835/7163/blackard04.png

</div>

Absolutley BRILLIANT!  What a fetching design!  I endorse it wholeheartedly.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

18 October 2012 16:03

Since the chevrons were said in an earlier post to symbolize mountains and the overcoming of difficulties, how about this:

[Pick a metal] a hart springing Sable in base a range of three mountains [pick a color].

Black hart (Blackard) overcoming difficulties.

If you don’t like the mountains as mountains (I do), then a base dancetty would work as well.

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

18 October 2012 16:45

I think Joe’s suggestion would look very dramatic as

Or, a hart springing, a base dancetty Sable

Visualizing a springing black deer over black mountains on a gold field would be striking I think

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

19 October 2012 19:54

"I&#8217;m learning that this is a slow process and I really have take my time on what I like."

Ah, true wisdom!—in heraldry as in life.

The more recent designs and suggestions are all worthy of consideration—hopefully your refrigerator door is big enough to accommodate them!  Give it time—you may find that a design that doesn’t grab you & yours now, may over time…or not, but that’s useful too.

FWIW the black hearts option is IMO particularly creative; and of course anything with a deer (hart) in it naturally appeals to me smile

RE: the earlier comments re: SCA arms—they are of course entitled to their own internal rules (dare I say Best Practices?) but I’ll best lunch (well, Mickey-D’s) that the "rule" against using SCA arms in the "mundane" world is sometimes honored in the breach.  I can remember too many examples (back in the day…decades ago when I was a very minor pursuivant-wannabe in their system) of arms canting or otherwise referring to the member’s real-world name, to take the SCA-only rule all that seriously.

But even if it is followed, infringement is still infringement—essentially heraldic plagiarism not worthy of those who profess to love the ancient art & science.