My Arms, Final

Carl Alexander Roth

Carl Alexander Roth
Total Posts:  69
Joined  20-07-2012

10 October 2012 18:06

My arms are finished, finally.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/45330_10151234480310479_438997134_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/150313_10151234482970479_1395373858_n.jpg

Blazon:

Arms: Azure an Ash Tree eradicated with three roots transfixed by an Arrow point to sinister Or.

Crest: A demi-horse forcené Argent charged on the shoulder with a letter "R" transfixed at the base of the bowl by an arrow point to sinister Sable.

Overt meanings:

-The Azure and gold are a reference to the colors of Sweden where I was raised and where the vast majority of my family still lives.

-The tree is Yggdrasil, a second reference to my Nordic heritage and its three roots are a canting to the Swedish pronunciation of my last name (Rot) which means root in Swedish.

-The arrow is a reference to the Roth family mark, which can be seen in the crest and has been in use for over 100 years.

-The horse is a saxon steed. The Roth family came to Sweden through Benjamin Roth who came from Saxony in 1706.

Extended meanings:

-The tree and the arrow together make a cross-like structure with is both a reference to the Christian cross and the flag of Sweden.

-The three roots of Yggdrasil are also a reference to the trinity of God.

Now to just figure out where and how to register these arms and convince my father to stop being a lazy ass.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

10 October 2012 18:15

Great finished product!

I don’t see registration in such urgency. Make a publically accessible blog post and/or ask a friend to blog it. Once published, it becomes searchable on Google, which is probably at least as effective in thwarting usurpation as an unsearchable roll published by some registration organization. You may find it useful to place a watermark on any publically posted images so that the bucket shops don’t lift it.

Speaking of which, may I ask who rendered the graphic? It looks fantastic!

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  30-11-2007

10 October 2012 20:08

An attractive arms.  Who emblazoned it?

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

10 October 2012 21:54

Very nice!

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

10 October 2012 22:50

Excellent end from where you started!  YAY YOU!

sterios

sterios
Total Posts:  78
Joined  17-10-2010

11 October 2012 05:48

Very nice. I like it!

Medugal

Medugal
Total Posts:  110
Joined  09-05-2012

11 October 2012 06:24

I have to admit that I’m not a huge fan of the horse having been branded with your insignia- the arms themselves look great, though!

motx72

motx72
Total Posts:  179
Joined  28-04-2005

11 October 2012 07:57

Very nice!  And what a journey you had getting here.  Looks great.  smile

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

11 October 2012 09:09

Medugal;96091 wrote:

I have to admit that I’m not a huge fan of the horse having been branded with your insignia- the arms themselves look great, though!

Matthew, this is a not uncommon practice for distinguishing a relatively common charge. While in this case the artist has chosen to place it almost like a brand or a tattoo, it is often seen simply placed upright in the location stated (which I would have preferred) as seen in these arms from the Canadian Heraldic Authority:

<div class=“bbcode_center” >
http://archive.gg.ca/heraldry/pub-reg/ProjectPics/iv013_19990010_armsb_bourre.jpg

source
</div>

david

david
Total Posts:  211
Joined  28-05-2009

11 October 2012 09:13

Very nice arms, handsomely rendered.

Carl Alexander Roth

Carl Alexander Roth
Total Posts:  69
Joined  20-07-2012

11 October 2012 11:09

The rendering was done by Alexandru Draghici (http://aib-alex.deviantart.com/) of Romania.  He was really great to work with and I feel he did a great job for not really having much experiance with traditional heraldry.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

11 October 2012 11:19

As I suspected from many of the elements, the "artist" appears to be retouching clip art. He has done a great job, though. This is the type of work some other clip-artists who have come through here should aspire to.

As these are your arms, though, Carl, you might discuss copyright with the artist. He appears to be selling prints of the arms on his deviant art site.

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

11 October 2012 14:43

Carl, congratulations!  This is a very nice set of arms that you’ve settled on.  You and your family should be very proud of them.

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

11 October 2012 19:21

Excellent work and congratulations!

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  30-11-2007

11 October 2012 20:14

Kenneth Mansfield;96097 wrote:

As I suspected from many of the elements, the "artist" appears to be retouching clip art. He has done a great job, though. This is the type of work some other clip-artists who have come through here should aspire to.

As these are your arms, though, Carl, you might discuss copyright with the artist. He appears to be selling prints of the arms on his deviant art site.

That brings up an interesting point as to who owns the copyright on a particular emblazon, if nothing was agreed upon in the first place.  For example, in photography if I shoot a portrait, I automatically own the copyright to it the moment I press the shutter and create the image…which lasts my lifetime plus 70 years.  However if I want to use it in a form of publication, I need to have a model release signed by the person who is in the portrait….unless of course the image is used for journalistic purposes.

So, it seems to me that the artist automatically owns the copyright to the emblazon upon creation (Unless otherwise stated in the original agreement), but would need some form of release to be able to sell prints of the emblazon itself?  They may be his arms, but he doesn’t own the copyright to that particular image, any more than a model does of a portrait taken of them.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

12 October 2012 01:42

Josh, here’s how I understand it…

The creator of the graphic image always defaults as owner of all rights to the image.

This means that when an artist creates a graphic for someone else, permission for personal use and display of that graphic is implied but can be revoked at any time by the artist…

However, permission to distribute or print the graphic is not implied and the recipient should ask the artist for explicit verbal (at least) permission before doing so.

The artist may give over all rights to the image, which should be reflected in a written agreement or contract whereby the artist loses all rights to the grantee. I’m not sure about the legality of this aspect as I’ve only heard reference to it from others.