Hello Everyone!

mjsmith

mjsmith
Total Posts:  121
Joined  15-08-2012

08 October 2012 17:03

I’d like to take the opportunity while I am thinking about it to announce myself to the members and friends of the society.  My name is Matthew Smith and I have recently taken up my own arms.  I have had a lifelong facination with heraldry and have been guilty of using the "family coat of arms" as one does when one does not know better.  However, last year with the impending approach of my first grandson, it occured to me that I might render arms for him in the tradition of the one I was using improperly.

It was then after some research I discovered that I had no right whatsoever to the arms I had been using, immediately stopped using them, and set out on a journey to create my own that I could rightfully pass down to my grandson.  Finally, after careful consideration and the help of the American College of Heraldry, I registered arms of my own that already have deep personal meaning for me.  In fact, I use the arms as a mnemonic device to remind me of the man I wish to become each time I look at them.

I tend to be more of a "lurker" if you will in forums where my knowledge is lacking.  As the proverb says, "Even a fool, when he keeps silent, is considered wise; When he closes his lips, he is considered prudent."  Still, I may pipe up from time to time to prove just how little I do know about this subject.  Thank you and it is good to meet you in advance.

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  30-11-2007

08 October 2012 17:18

First of all, welcome to the community smile.  What is the blazon for your arms, and what is the significant meaning behind it?

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

08 October 2012 17:27

Welcome to the forums!  I quite like the arms you’ve designed.  Like Josh, I’d like to know the meaning behind your design.  Could you share that with us please?

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

08 October 2012 17:38

J. Stolarz;96023 wrote:

First of all, welcome to the community smile.  What is the blazon for your arms, and what is the significant meaning behind it?

Josh, the blazon appears to be:

Per pale Gules and Or a wolf courant regardent counterchanged and on a chief Sable an eagle (displayed) Or

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

08 October 2012 17:43

Welcome to the party Matthew!

I notice you have two renderings of your arms in your AHS photo album.

The first one appears to be:

Per pale Gules and Or a panther* passant regardant counterchanged and on a chief Sable an eagle displayed Or

The second one appears to be:

Per pale Gules and Or a wolf courant regardant counterchanged and on a chief Sable an eagle displayed Or

Are these two different coats?

(*heraldic panther identified by the nasal tusk and feline rather than lupine tail)

Richard G.

Richard G.
Total Posts:  451
Joined  26-07-2011

08 October 2012 22:48

A warm welcome to the community Matthew.

Iain Boyd

Iain Boyd
Total Posts:  309
Joined  15-10-2005

08 October 2012 23:58

Welcome, Matthew.

Actually, Jeffrey, I think the beasts are the same in both emblazonments, - heraldic panthers. I suspect that the confusion may be due to the different clip art that is being used.

Regards,

Iain Boyd

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

09 October 2012 04:24

Welcome Matthew!  As already requested—I, too am always curious about the meaning behind assume arms.  If you are willing to share…

Although I understand the concept of silence (many here will think that can’t possibly be true), Feel free to chime in looking for explanations of points of view.  Every now and then you get your head chopped off, but generally someone is standing by with thread and needle to re attach it for you.

Early word of advise—use the search capability…  I think a few of our members love answering questions with "read this thread…"

Michael Y. Medvedev

Michael Y. Medvedev
Total Posts:  844
Joined  18-01-2008

09 October 2012 04:46

Nice to meet you

david

david
Total Posts:  211
Joined  28-05-2009

09 October 2012 09:40

Welcome aboard, Matthew. I like your arms, please share the blazon and background with us.

mjsmith

mjsmith
Joined  15-08-2012

09 October 2012 10:18

Thank you all for the replies.  The arms are blazoned Per Pale Sanguine and Or, a Heraldic Wolf courant reguardant counter-changed. In a Chief Sable, a Hawk displayed Or.  The crest is blazoned On a wreath Or and Sanguine, an Heraldic Wolf’s head Or, holding a Broom Plant Vert in his mouth.  My motto is Ad Destinatum Persequere Ad Bravium or "Press Toward the Mark for the Prize".

I love to know the design rationale for other people’s arms as well.  It is interesting to me to know what they were thinking and feeling when they created them.  For me, when I started off researching what I wanted my arms to be, they began being formulated around who I am.  At first, the devices included nods to my profession as a civil designer and included piles, or compasses.  I spent time in the U.S. Army as a field artilleryman so I tried incorporating cross cannons.  I even thought about a bit of canting arms by using hammers or an anvil.

Eventually though, that wound up feeling a bit hollow.  I thought if I was going to pass this on to my children then I needed it to transcend who I have been.  In that line of thought, I began thinking about who I would like to be and what qualities I would like to ascribe to.  After much thought, I boiled it down to 4 main qualities; Wisdom, Courage, Honor and above all Humility.  After that I began to look at traditional heraldic ordinaries and devices that spoke those to me using something close to their traditional meanings.

I had considered the use of a lion for courage but to me the lion is a royal beast and the courage that it projects is fearless courage and glory.  I just didn’t feel that it fit well with the quality of humility.  The courage of a dog or a wolf felt better suited because they are courageous out of necessity and not simply because they are an enormous mass of muscle and deadly claws and teeth as the lion is.  Plus I have always had an affinity for wolves so it was a good fit.

I chose sanguine over gules because, although I was a soldier, I personally need to be reminded of patience and not valor.  Or was used to remind me of generousity because as my wife could tell you, that is an area that I struggle with mightily.

The chief was used to symbolize wisdom.  To stop and think rather than jump and react.  Sable was chosen for the chief because one who is wise is also consistent in their behavior.  Even keeled if you will, slow to anger and not easily offended.

The hawk I chose, simply because I like hawks but, as a delightful surprise, I found that hawks and falcons have in some traditions been indicative of one who follows hard after something.  It makes sense, they are relentless birds of prey who do not stop until they have achieved their objective.  I once saw a hawk hover over a street corner for an hour just to catch a rabbit as it darted out from under a porch.  That is persistence.  That makes the hawk the embodiment of my motto and that is the ultimate reason I chose it.  It also serves a dual meaning as a representation of my home state of Iowa, "The Hawkeye State".

To represent humility, I chose the Broom plant and gave it the highest place in my arms to remind me to always maintain humility no matter what.  If I am tempted to think myself better than any other man, humility reminds me that God sees us all the same and gave the same sacrifice in Jesus Christ for all of us equally.  The color of the Broom plant, Vert, reminds me of the hope I have in that sacrifice.

The motto Ad Destinatum Persequere Ad Bravium ""Press Toward the Mark for the Prize" is taken from Phillipians 3:14. which in its entirety is " I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus."  In this passage the Apostle Paul tells of how he is striving towards being like Christ.  He states that though he has not attained it yet, he forgets what is behind him presses forward toward toward his ultimate goal.

Now I know it seems that there is no representation of honor in the arms, but the arms themselves are the representation of honor.  Not to be seeking honor and glory but by remembering what these arms mean to me, I might live honorably among men.

So there you have it.  Since I completed and registered the arms, I have placed them in many different places to help me to think about these things when I see them.  I have found that it does help me to remember the values.  I have also found that it convicts me when I do not live them.  The real treasure is that I now have something of substance and meaning to pass on to my children.  Hopefully, it will mean something to them as well.

mjsmith

mjsmith
Joined  15-08-2012

09 October 2012 10:28

Kathy McClurg;96053 wrote:

Early word of advise—use the search capability…  I think a few of our members love answering questions with "read this thread…"

Kathy, I live by the search function as with any internet forum, that is the wise first thing to do. wink