Looking for some blazoning help…

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

01 February 2013 18:10

My only real concern is that in heraldry a panther is something different.  In English heraldry it looks like this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_slalK5PhgaE/SzRwMNAOZaI/AAAAAAAADeg/u7JQzhajdNo/s400/panther-heraldic-English.gif

Note that in English heraldry, a panther is always spotted.  In zoology, a panther is never spotted.

And in German/Austrian, it looks like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ec/Wappen_Herzogtum_Steiermark.png

I think this may be one case where "panther" has to be qualified with Panthera pardus.  Which is ironic considering that in medieval heraldry not only was a panther spotted, but so was a pard, the animal we know as a leopard.  (A leo-pard was the product of an adulterous union—the term used in the medieval bestiaries—between a lion and a pard, which is why the leopard was depicted as having a beard like a lion but creeping along on all fours and staring at you like a pard, i.e. a lion passant guardant.)

motx72

motx72
Total Posts:  179
Joined  28-04-2005

01 February 2013 21:25

Joseph McMillan;97441 wrote:

And in German/Austrian, it looks like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ec/Wappen_Herzogtum_Steiermark.png

You betcha!!!  :cool:

mjsmith

mjsmith
Total Posts:  121
Joined  15-08-2012

01 February 2013 22:51

Thank you Joseph for the reply.  So the blazon should become "...a Panther (Panthera Pardus) Rampant Sable…"  etc.  Now, would it be appropriate to repeat the taxonomic classification for the demi-panther as well?

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

04 February 2013 10:34

mjsmith;97443 wrote:

Thank you Joseph for the reply.  So the blazon should become "...a Panther (Panthera Pardus) Rampant Sable…"  etc.  Now, would it be appropriate to repeat the taxonomic classification for the demi-panther as well?

The term "panther" can technically refer to any member of the genus Panthera.  It’s generally applied to whatever is in your area.

In Africa and Asia, it means the P.pardus, also known as a leopard.

In South and Central America, it means the P.onca, also known as a jaguar.

In North America (where we don’t have the genus Pathera, it means the Puma concolor, also known as a puma, cougar, or mountain lion.

Since your’s is sable, I’ll alos note that all-black (a form of melanism) tigers (P.tigris) have also been seen.

mjsmith

mjsmith
Joined  15-08-2012

04 February 2013 15:11

I see your point, Steven.  I guess that I will leave it to the armiger which species he would like to specify for his "Panther" and let you all know what he decides.  Thanks again to everyone.

mjsmith

mjsmith
Joined  15-08-2012

11 March 2013 20:27

Here is the update to what my friend has ultimately decided on. The blazon:

Shield: Per Chevron Azure and Argent, a Chevron counterchanged between two cross crosslets fitchee’ Argent and a Panther (Panthera Onca) Rampant Sable langued Gules

Crest: Upon a wreath of the colors Argent and Azure, a Demi-panther (Panthera Onca) Sable langued Gules holding in its Dexter paw a lit torch Or and charged on its shoulder with an 8-pointed compass star Argent

Motto: Depend on Me

Here’s the final version of the emblazonment.

http://www.thesupertribe.com/images/EzellArmsFinal.png

Thanks again to everyone for your help!

David Pope

David Pope
Total Posts:  559
Joined  17-09-2010

12 March 2013 07:14

Did you not show the panther’s tail in the crest on purpose?

mjsmith

mjsmith
Joined  15-08-2012

12 March 2013 09:57

It was on purpose.  Initially, I was showing the demi-panther mid-torso slid to the left of the torse with the tail coming up behind but the disembodied tail felt just a bit off to me.  Instead I slid the panther up and to the right, showing a little leg to fill out the torse space as it is now.  In this configuration it didn’t make sense to me to show a tail.  I’ve seen demi-charges shown with and without tails so I didn’t feel I was breaking any kind of heraldic rules by omitting it.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

12 March 2013 10:43

Really you need to redraw the panther and lose that bit of leg. That is more egregious than any lack of tail IMO. As far as the arms go, though, they’re certainly nice enough. I’m sure your friend is pleased.

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

12 March 2013 13:09

mjsmith;97820 wrote:

a Panther (Panthera Onca) Rampant Sable langued Gules

The taxonomical name must be written with the species in lowercase as “Panthera onca” and is almost always written with the genus abbreviated as just “P.onca”.

Since this big cat is almost universally known as a jaguar, I’m not sure that I can agree with calling it a panther in the blazon.

I’m not sure if you’d be better off with “a Jaguar (P.onca) rampant Sable” or “a Black Jaguar (P.onca) rampant proper.”

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ec/Black_Jaguar_(Panthera_onca).JPG/320px-Black_Jaguar_(Panthera_onca).JPG http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/72/Black_jaguar.jpg/320px-Black_jaguar.jpg

mjsmith

mjsmith
Joined  15-08-2012

12 March 2013 14:20

steven harris;97832 wrote:

I’m not sure if you’d be better off with “a Jaguar (P.onca) rampant Sable” or “a Black Jaguar (P.onca) rampant proper

If the armiger were to specify it as either a Jaguar rampant Sable or a Black Jaguar rampant Proper, then why record the taxonomic name in the blazon at all?  Wouldn’t it be redundant at that point?  He hadn’t mentioned calling it a Jaguar but I’ll take this suggestion back to the armiger and see what he would like.

Kenneth Mansfield;97826 wrote:

Really you need to redraw the panther and lose that bit of leg. That is more egregious than any lack of tail IMO. As far as the arms go, though, they’re certainly nice enough. I’m sure your friend is pleased.

As its vector art, redrawing it is easy enough.  I’ll see what I can do about making that change and see what my friend thinks of this as well.  Thanks again gentlemen.

mjsmith

mjsmith
Joined  15-08-2012

12 March 2013 15:15

Well, the answer to one question came across quickly enough.

Quote:

Panther, Jaguar, whatever, as long as (it is clear that it is) a big black (ferocious) cat. I certainly do not want that image of a (panther) with multi-colored spots and flames coming out of it’s mouth & ears.

Now to just clarify whether calling it a Jaguar or a Black Jaguar would really require the taxonomic name.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

12 March 2013 16:28

Given that there is a creature in the heraldic realm known as a panther which is not the panther of the animal realm, is there any objection so simply calling it a jaguar rampant Sable and leaving the species name off of it? I doubt anyone would try to put a car in there.

Dcgb7f

Dcgb7f
Total Posts:  516
Joined  07-07-2007

12 March 2013 17:08

Jaguar is a specific species so I wouldn’t see the need for the taxonomic name. It’s not like saying, a swan (which is a genus name) and thus having to specify what species of swan.

Black jaguars are commonly referred to as black panthers, and I think that name would be more easily recognized than black jaguar. Even though they are the same thing, the latter phrase isn’t really encountered… at least I haven’t.

If you use panther, then you absolutely have to include the taxonomic name, not only because of the heraldic alternative, but because two other big cats are also sometimes known as panthers depending on where you live.

I would go with a black panther (P. onca) proper.

mjsmith

mjsmith
Joined  15-08-2012

12 March 2013 19:12

I updated the emblazonment to include a tail on the demi-panther/jaguar.  Might have to hit CTRL+F5 to see the revisions above.