Looking for some blazoning help…

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

12 March 2013 19:15

Dcgb7f;97837 wrote:

Black jaguars are commonly referred to as black panthers, and I think that name would be more easily recognized than black jaguar. Even though they are the same thing, the latter phrase isn’t really encountered… at least I haven’t.

Well, yes and no. All black jaguars are black panthers, but not all black panthers are black jaguars. Black panther is a generic term for any big black cat (jaguar, leopard or tiger). Since the armiger doesn’t seem to care about the specific genus, it seems to me the best solution would be to simply blazon it as a panther sable.

Dcgb7f

Dcgb7f
Total Posts:  516
Joined  07-07-2007

12 March 2013 21:43

arriano;97839 wrote:

Well, yes and no. All black jaguars are black panthers, but not all black panthers are black jaguars. Black panther is a generic term for any big black cat (jaguar, leopard or tiger). Since the armiger doesn’t seem to care about the specific genus, it seems to me the best solution would be to simply blazon it as a panther sable.

Right, which is why I said it’s a must to say P. onca if you use the word panther in any way. The guy may not care about what species of cat, but he said he didn’t want a heraldic panther, which makes me think that the only sure-fire way to avoid that is to specify a RL species.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

13 March 2013 08:37

mjsmith;97838 wrote:

I updated the emblazonment to include a tail on the demi-panther/jaguar.  Might have to hit CTRL+F5 to see the revisions above.

Much better.