Greetings from Ohio

David_T

David_T
Total Posts:  41
Joined  13-12-2012

17 December 2012 00:44

I am obviously a new member, recently retired from a long career as an educator.

I have corresponded with two AHS members on another forum. Harold Cannon piqued my interest in heraldry when he posted pictures of his arms. When I expressed an interest in designing and assuming my own arms, he referred me to Kenneth Mansfield, who also participates in that same other forum. Kenneth has provided invaluable help (and patience), guiding me through the design process. I am grateful to both of these gentlemen.

I have read through quite a few threads here already and look forward to learning more from the collective expertise represented here.

My arms are still a work in progress, and I will post what I have so far in the Member’s Area.

harold cannon

harold cannon
Total Posts:  240
Joined  30-03-2011

17 December 2012 01:23

Glad to have you here David!!!!!! I like your arms!!!!

Richard G.

Richard G.
Total Posts:  451
Joined  26-07-2011

17 December 2012 04:48

Welcome David! I do like your proposal for arms.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

17 December 2012 05:04

Howdy and welcome David! smile

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

17 December 2012 07:20

I’m originally from Ohio as well, welcome!

Your arms are indeed off to a great start!

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

17 December 2012 10:31

Welcome aboard, David.

Iain Boyd

Iain Boyd
Total Posts:  309
Joined  15-10-2005

17 December 2012 14:34

Welcome!

I like the new emblazon better than the original one you were using.

Personally, I do not believe that you need to make any further modifications.

What is the symbolism of the charges?

Regards,

Iain Boyd

Michael Y. Medvedev

Michael Y. Medvedev
Total Posts:  844
Joined  18-01-2008

18 December 2012 03:50

The draft is pretty fine, although I must express my personal (and actually shared by many) prejudice against the "non-heraldic" and "supplementary" colours in heraldry. They are simply excessive for the heraldic symbolism. In my opinion, the elegant "correctness" of the design contrasts here with the somehow unconvincing colouring.

We may call these colours "stains" or we may not, but they actually are ones wink

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

18 December 2012 20:53

Nice design.  I commented in the related threat re: the blazon; all I want to add here is a most respectful disagreement with the "other" Michael, re: the use of a non-heraldic color in cases like this where a specific sort of animal is an intended, and important, part of the design; and where there is no one universal "default" color for the particular beast.

Snyder

Snyder
Total Posts:  322
Joined  25-11-2007

26 December 2012 16:35

Welcome! My mothers side of the family hails from your neck of the woods. Originally Elyria, then transplanted to Wellington/New London and then all of my aunts and uncles spread out across the area, including Solon and Bedford Heights. Not sure if they still reside there as it has been years since speaking with that side of the family.

Michael Y. Medvedev

Michael Y. Medvedev
Total Posts:  844
Joined  18-01-2008

27 December 2012 01:59

Michael F. McCartney;96914 wrote:

Michael, re: the use of a non-heraldic color in cases like this where a specific sort of animal is an intended, and important, part of the design; and where there is no one universal "default" color for the particular beast.

Dear Michael,

Actually the very idea of the default colour is IMHO not fully plausible as, say, a bear Or or Sable is not heraldically better or "more normal" than a bear barry of six Az and chequy Or and Gu. The latter colouring is less frequent but I doubt this to be a disadvantage. I say that as one who bears a bear Sa., but still… smile

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

27 December 2012 17:08

I don’t read "default" to be "better" than any other color—only that when there is one color convention that is nearly always used (e.g. the tongue and claws of a lion), it need not be stated in the blazon; whereas some other coloring—while equally valid—does need to be stated.

Of course, there’s nothing wrong with spelling out even the default coloring, if one chooses; it just isn’t necessary.