Buckeye inspired arms

Snyder

Snyder
Total Posts:  322
Joined  25-11-2007

03 January 2013 01:04

I’ve been asked by a family friend to draft up arms for her late father. After discussing everything with her and the family, they have decided to go with argent and gules and use the leaves from a buckeye tree as the charges. Being a graduate of Ohio State University and an avid follower of the sports teams, they found it was fitting.

These are the four designs that I presented to them.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b146/Snydercrew/Untitled-1-2.jpg

In regards to the top right, would I be close on the blazon if I said:

Argent, a pale gules cotissed sable

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

03 January 2013 02:24

The first thing I thought of when I saw the upper right arms was the ribbon to the 1939 Knight’s Cross to the Iron Cross (and smaller ribbon for the 2nd Class).  Here is the 1957 authorized version allowable for wear on the Bundeswehr uniform (offending symbol replaced by the oakleaf spray):

http://www.wwmeinc.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/GRR500.jpg

Richard G.

Richard G.
Total Posts:  451
Joined  26-07-2011

03 January 2013 07:45

I had to look Buckeye Tree up. Interesting. I’ve also heard the term ‘Buckeye’ used for people, or a place? Not at all sure what it alludes to.

Argent semy of Buckeye Leaves Gules I quite like although I’d like to see Gules semy of Buckeye Leaves Or for difference. wink

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

03 January 2013 08:53

Richard G.;97124 wrote:

I had to look Buckeye Tree up. Interesting. I’ve also heard the term ‘Buckeye’ used for people, or a place? Not at all sure what it alludes to.

Argent semy of Buckeye Leaves Gules I quite like although I’d like to see Gules semy of Buckeye Leaves Or for difference. wink

Ohio is known as the "Buckeye State," and the Ohio State University sports teams are known as the Buckeyes.  This flyer from the state Department of Natural Resources explains why, as far as is known.

http://ohiodnr.com/Portals/18/education/pdf/buckeyestate.pdf

It is fairly common in the US for major universities to use the state nickname as the name for their sports teams.  Others include Indiana (Hoosiers), Wisconsin (Badgers), Michigan (Wolverines), Minnesota (Gophers), Iowa (Hawkeyes), Nebraska (Cornhuskers), Oklahoma (Sooners), Tennessee (Volunteers), Arkansas (Razorbacks), Delaware (Blue Hens), and North Carolina (Tarheels).  There are probably others as well.

David_T

David_T
Total Posts:  41
Joined  13-12-2012

03 January 2013 09:13

Richard G.;97124 wrote:

As a native and denizen of the Land of the Crazy Tree Nut People, I can confirm that the term does indeed apply to both people and place, with additional emphasis on the university.

It is also an acute and chronic mental disorder of epidemic proportion, currently presenting with an associated melancholy over Ohio State being banned from a bowl game appearance this year due to NCAA rules violations last year - understandable, given that the Ohio State teams are the only real professional sports teams in the state. 8-)

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

03 January 2013 15:04

I quite like both #3 and #4.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

03 January 2013 16:19

Not sure if you’ve been back far enough in the forum to see this thread.

What comes to my mind is: Argent a chevron (or a fess) Gules (possibly even cotissed Sable) between three [the buckeye equivalent of an acorn slipped and leaved] proper.

david

david
Total Posts:  211
Joined  28-05-2009

03 January 2013 16:45

As a tree afficionado, I like the buckeye for its distinctive leaf, reminiscent of the American Chestnut, which is largely extinct, due to a blight. My Father left stocks of wormy chestnut wood, some of which was salvaged from waterways where the trunks lay preserved in mud for years and others reclaimed from old barn framing, etc.  We have a lovely grandmother clock he made of this wood. Pardon the side note, please.

mjsmith

mjsmith
Total Posts:  121
Joined  15-08-2012

03 January 2013 17:57

Kenneth Mansfield;97134 wrote:

Not sure if you’ve been back far enough in the forum to see this thread.

What comes to my mind is: Argent a chevron (or a fess) Gules (possibly even cotissed Sable) between three [the buckeye equivalent of an acorn slipped and leaved] proper.

Or perhaps in lieu of buckeyes, three pellets to represent them?  Personally, I find the cotissed pale to be quite striking and though I am a Hawkeye fan (or perhaps because of it), I instantly recognized its origin.

To the original post, I wonder what #3 might look like with a cotissed chief and sable buckeye leaves?  It might be more in keeping with your theme.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

03 January 2013 18:17

Nice design concepts - but the leaves as drawn above look to me too much like another plant altogether which is legal in some states but banned under Federal law.  smile

Ken’s version of buckeye leaves (in the old thread he links to) are a bit less like the banned substance, though at the time I commented on some resemblance.

While we generally counsel that simpler is better, maybe small clusters, each with a leaf and a buckeye (the nut), along the line of oak leaves & acorns, would lessen the unfortunate similarity and reinforce the buckeyeishness of the design.  I think Ken suggested something similar in his proposed design, but it might work for your "semee" patterns as well.

Another possible option, working from your cottissed pale—a nice enough design but IMO rather generic—might be a pale between two buckeye leaf & nut clusters.  You could include or drop the cottisses —unless there’s some reason you want black in the design, I’d leave them out as unnecessary and taking up space that could be better used to make the buckeye clusters a bit larger.

By the way—if you could share the surname or other significant background, it might (or might not) suggest other/better options.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

03 January 2013 19:23

The suggestion of buckeye leaves along with the nuts calls to mind the arms of Ohio State University itself.  (Or "THE Ohio State University," as its alumni insist on calling it.)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5148/5828692248_acf2dd26a8.jpg

No political asides on regarding the chap on the right, please.

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

03 January 2013 19:55

Kenneth Mansfield;97134 wrote:

Kenneth completely beat me to the punch.  As a native of Columbus OH myself, I was going to suggest:

Argent a chevron Gules cotticed Sable between three sprigs of Buckeye leaves (A.glabra) fructed proper

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

03 January 2013 20:47

steven harris;97140 wrote:

Kenneth completely beat me to the punch. As a native of Columbus OH myself, I was going to suggest:

Argent a chevron Gules cotticed Sable between three sprigs of Buckeye leaves (A.glabra) fructed proper

Why the scientific designation?  What’s next?  Do we start describing the charge in the base of the Canadian arms as "three maple (Acer saccharum) leaves conjoined on one stem proper"?

Snyder

Snyder
Joined  25-11-2007

04 January 2013 00:16

Joseph McMillan;97139 wrote:

The suggestion of buckeye leaves along with the nuts calls to mind the arms of Ohio State University itself.  (Or "THE Ohio State University," as its alumni insist on calling it.)

No political asides on regarding the chap on the right, please.

Don’t forget the THE. As it was pounded into my head growing up (I was born and raised in Columbus), the school is named THE Ohio State University and people will ensure that it is addressed as such. smile

Snyder

Snyder
Joined  25-11-2007

04 January 2013 00:23

The name is Christenson from generic English decent. I was told that some research into the lineage was done and they would send me the information they had, but I have yet to see it. Apparently they only made it back a few generations though they didn’t dive to deep into it.

I’m aware of the likeness between the Buckeye leaves I used and that of the cannibus leaves. I will be fixing that in the final designs.

David_T

David_T
Total Posts:  41
Joined  13-12-2012

04 January 2013 06:39

I rather like the first (upper left) design for purely aesthetic reasons.

And FWIW, there is a significant difference between the shape of the leaves in your rendering and those of the evil loco weed. I don’t believe that the average person would mistake one for the other.

As to the description in the blazon, the buckeye tree and fruit are known to much of the world as Horse Chestnut. Thus, blazoning the species name would provide helpful clarity to many.

Just my rookie two cents.