Revolutionary Military and Naval Heroes

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

14 February 2013 16:48

Seb Nelson suggested some 7 years back that we needed a roll of arms of the foreign nobles who came and helped with the American Revolution. Well, why limit it to foreign nobles? Here’s the beginning of a roll of arms of military and naval leaders in the American Revolution, American and allied.

http://www.americanheraldry.org/pages/index.php?n=Notable.Revolution

No, I haven’t forgotten Pulaski, Kosciuszko, von Steuben, de Kalb, et al.  Just haven’t gotten to them yet.

(Sorry—Brits and their allies will just have to look to the Heraldry Society, the Heraldry Society of Scotland, and the German societies.)

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

14 February 2013 20:47

Joe, this is a fantastic addition to our roll of arms. Thank you!

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

14 February 2013 23:25

Wonderful!

david

david
Total Posts:  211
Joined  28-05-2009

15 February 2013 16:09

Great idea and addition to the rolls, Joe.

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

15 February 2013 16:41

Do you plan to display just half of Benedict Arnold’s arms?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

15 February 2013 17:07

Wait and see—I have a plan.

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

15 February 2013 17:55

Rochambeau’s staff:

François Jean de Beauvoir, Chevalier (later Marquis) de Chastellux, 1734-1788
Wiki wrote:

a military officer who served during the War of American Independence as a major general in the French expeditionary forces led by general Comte de Rochambeau. Being on general Rochambeau’s staff for the duration of the war, Chastellux acted as the principal liaison officer between the French commander in chief and George Washington. However the Chevalier de Chastellux was also widely recognized, at the time of his campaigns in America, as a highly talented man of letters and a member of the French Academy.

The image on the title page of his book might allude to the crest of his coat of arms.

In French:

http://encyclo.voila.fr/wiki/Beauvoir-Chastellux

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d4/Blason_fam_fr_de_Beauvoir-Chastellux.svg/150px-Blason_fam_fr_de_Beauvoir-Chastellux.svg.png

Blason de fr:Maison de Beauvoir-Chastellux. dessiné par Jimmy44 pour le Projet Blasons du Wikipédia francophone, avec Inkscape.

Source : Johannes Baptist Rietstap, Armorial général : contenant la description des armoiries des familles nobles et patriciennes de l’Europe : précédé d’un dictionnaire des termes du blason [archive], G.B. van Goor, 1861, 1171 p. , et ses Compléments sur www.euraldic.com - Blasonnement : D’azur, à la bande d’or, acc. de sept billettes du même, trois de chaque côté de la bande et la septième au canton senestre du chef

—Guy

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

15 February 2013 18:36

Here’s a list of French volunteers.

—Guy

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

15 February 2013 19:05

arriano;97590 wrote:

Do you plan to display just half of Benedict Arnold’s arms?

See what you think.

James Dempster

James Dempster
Total Posts:  602
Joined  20-05-2004

15 February 2013 19:15

The quartering in the arms of Lord Stirling is not for MacDonald but that of "Clan Allaster".

Quote:

SIR JAMES BALFOUR, LYON KING AT ARMES. 1632.

March 15.

[CHARLES R.]

Trustie, &c. We haue bene latelie pleased to confer vpon our right, &c. Sir

WILLIAM ALEXANDER knyt our principall Secretarie for Scotland the title of

VISCOUNT STIRLING as ane degrie of honour which we have estemed due to his

merite And to the effect ther be nothing wanting which is vsuall in this kynd

that this our favour and the remembrance of his good and faythfull services

done vnto ws may be in record Our pleasur is and We doe heirby requyre yow

according to the dewtie of your place to marshall his Coate Armour alloweing

it to him quartered with the Armes of Clan Allaster who hath acknowledged

him for cheiff of ther familie, in whois armes according to the draught which we

send yow heirwith, quartered with his coat, We ar willing to confirme them

Requyreing yow to Register them accordinglie ; and we doe further allow to

the said Viscount Stirling the armes of the countrie of New Scotland in ane

inscutschione as in a badge of his endeavours in the interprysing of the work

of that plantation which doe tend so much to our honour and the henefite of

our subjects of that our kingdome : and with all to fitt his said Coat with a con

venient crest and supporters such as may be acceptable vnto him ; ffor doeing

whairof, and for registring of this warrand and his Coat in your registers for that

purpois, or for drawing such farther warrant as shalbe requisit, these presents

shalbe your warrant. Newmerket, 15 March 1632.

Lyon somewhat dragged his feet (no evidence has since been found of the MacDonald/Clan Allaster connection) and had to be told twice. Note that not only was this the case, the king actually specified what the Clan Allaster were to be.

James

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

15 February 2013 20:08

James,

Thanks very much.  Michael McCartney had written me the same thing offline; I’ll make the correction.

Derek Howard

Derek Howard
Total Posts:  116
Joined  08-05-2009

16 February 2013 09:07

Joseph McMillan;97595 wrote:

See what you think.

Well, from the right side of the pond, I found it easier just to turn the whole screen of my laptop upside down and then all was well again with the world :D. This is however where iPads fail.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

16 February 2013 10:16

Derek Howard;97603 wrote:

Well, from the right side of the pond, I found it easier just to turn the whole screen of my laptop upside down and then all was well again with the world :D. This is however where iPads fail.

Derek

You may know this, but perhaps others don’t.  When Cornwallis supposedly asked that Yankee Doodle not be played at the surrender at Yorktown, the Americans obliged.

Instead they played "The World Turned Upside Down."

snelson

snelson
Total Posts:  464
Joined  03-06-2005

16 February 2013 19:41

Here is another candidate for your list: Don José de Solano y Bote, first Marques del Socorro (1726-1806).  He commanded a fleet of fifteen warships and seven frigates during the seige of Pensacola.  According to Ampelio Alonso de Cadenas y López, Solano’s arms were “en campo de azur, un sol figurado, de oro. Bordura de gules con ocho cabezas de sierpe, al natural” (Títulos nobiliarios españoles vinculados con Hispanoamérica y su heráldica, Hidalguía, 1997, volume 45, number 261, page 267).

http://24.media.tumblr.com/94ec24c7b71e3b79df2d09cc99fdb33f/tumblr_mic9ovzAZ41rq2fm7o1_250.jpg

Benjamin Thornton

Benjamin Thornton
Total Posts:  449
Joined  04-09-2009

16 February 2013 23:04

Joe, I confess I can’t decide whether your treatment of Arnold’s arms is in earnest. Far be it for me to tell Americans how to deal with their traitors, but the inversion of his arms and exclusion of his name comes across (to me, anyway) as mildly petulant.

It mars an otherwise straightforward and useful survey of American historical armorial usage, and rather jars one’s eye when scrolling the list, causing the reader to pause and deduce the identity of the bearer - perhaps even giving more thought to Arnold than you think him worth.  Surely a disclaimer or an asterisk and note would have sufficed to explain his inclusion in the list?

Then again, perhaps I’ve completely misinterpreted your intention, or worse, missed a joke.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

16 February 2013 23:51

Ben ended with, "Then again, perhaps I’ve completely misinterpreted your intention, or worse, missed a joke."

I can’t speak for Joe, but I’d say you didn’t miss it, you were just a little late in getting it smile

I can just imagine the Royal Canadian Heraldry Society compiling a role of early North American arms with a goodly share of those from the 13 southern colonies looking like gothic church windows…