Edgar Rice Burroughs bookplate (oh dear)

James Dempster

James Dempster
Total Posts:  602
Joined  20-05-2004

10 May 2013 10:41

Looking for something else, I found the bookplate below.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0b/Bookplate_of_Edgar_Rice_Burroughs.jpg/317px-Bookplate_of_Edgar_Rice_Burroughs.jpg

It is meant to be at least quasi-heraldic as a further site quotes a 1922 letter about it.

Quote:

The central figure in the bookplate represents Tarzan. He is holding the planet Mars, above which are two Martian satellites. These because of my Martian series of stories. Grasping his legs is one of the great apes, among which Tarzan was reared. In the background are characters from several of my other stories.

The crossed quill and sabre refer respectively to my writing and to my service in the United States Cavalry. These are again referred to in the shield in the spurred boot and the open volume. The steer’s skull in the upper right hand quarter of the shield represents the time I spent in Idaho riding for a cow outfit. In the lower left hand quarter the automobile wheel refers to my love of motoring. Below the shield are my nephew’s initials.

My nephew designed this bookplate at my request, but entirely without any suggestions from me. Altogether it seems to me an unusually interesting piece of work.

I have not yet found out whether Burroughs made any other use of it, nor any details of tinctures.

James

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

10 May 2013 16:04

Well, other than the "heraldry" it’s pretty nice.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

10 May 2013 16:32

James Dempster;98823 wrote:

I have not yet found out whether Burroughs made any other use of it, nor any details of tinctures.

I would be very surprised if there were any tinctures other than black and white if it was designed specifically for this bookplate, which it sounds like it was.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

14 May 2013 16:03

Unfortunate (mis)use of quartering—otherwise not bad ("we’ve seen worse…) if he had been a new bishop… smile