OK, refrigerator test…

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

15 November 2013 00:57

SO, I was looking for a blazon in the thread and didn’t find one.

Also, to prevent floating on the crest, Robert could go with "issuant’ from something (wreath of the colors, a wreath of some kind of white flower, etc.) a stag’s head sable.

alternatively, if he just used for the crest: A stag’s head sable.. would that unfloat and allow for the artist to do the mantling as suggested from the head?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

15 November 2013 01:18

Kathy McClurg;101011 wrote:

SO, I was looking for a blazon in the thread and didn’t find one.

Also, to prevent floating on the crest, Robert could go with "issuant’ from something (wreath of the colors, a wreath of some kind of white flower, etc.) a stag’s head sable.

alternatively, if he just used for the crest: A stag’s head sable.. would that unfloat and allow for the artist to do the mantling as suggested from the head?

In a crest (not on a shield) I would interpret "a stag’s head sable" as being issuant and in profile.  The term couped could be used, but to me that’s superfluous since the cut line would be hidden by the torse anyway—unless the deer’s head was floating to make it visible.  "From a wreath of the colors" would make the intent clearer, I suppose, but brevity is the soul of wit.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

20 November 2013 22:56

If brevity is really the soul of wit, what does a 90+ message thread say about the state of our collective wits?

My personal preference, FWIW, is to say "issuing from a wreath" or something similar, to emphasize/remind/inform the reader that the wreath is intended to represent a 3-dimensional circular object viewed from the side, around the base of a 3-dimensional object fixed to the top of the helmet, rather than a one-dimensional barber pole between the helm and an often-floating or barely attached, 2-dimwnsional crest. The knowledgeable reader will already know that, but most of the population may not.

Robert Blackard

Robert Blackard
Total Posts:  117
Joined  22-01-2012

11 December 2013 23:20

Michael F. McCartney;101038 wrote:

If brevity is really the soul of wit, what does a 90+ message thread say about the state of our collective wits?

My personal preference, FWIW, is to say "issuing from a wreath" or something similar, to emphasize/remind/inform the reader that the wreath is intended to represent a 3-dimensional circular object viewed from the side, around the base of a 3-dimensional object fixed to the top of the helmet, rather than a one-dimensional barber pole between the helm and an often-floating or barely attached, 2-dimwnsional crest. The knowledgeable reader will already know that, but most of the population may not.

AKA…Novice’s like myself. Thank you Michael! smile

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

12 December 2013 00:01

You’re most welcome!

mjsmith

mjsmith
Total Posts:  121
Joined  15-08-2012

13 December 2013 12:02

Kathy McClurg;101011 wrote:

SO, I was looking for a blazon in the thread and didn’t find one…

I saw this one being Per Chevron Argent and Chevronny of Six Sable and Argent, in Chief a Stag Courant Sable.

Blazoned that way turns the chevrons from a charge to an alteration of the field tincture and should completely do away with any conflicts with the Bladen arms.  Robert, I don’t think you should worry about adopting the arms as is.  I’m starting to see them associated with you anyway and I don’t think that is a bad thing.

As far as the crest is concerned, I am in agreement about it being issuant rather than erased.  It just makes for a cleaner design.  FYI - I wouldn’t even use "issuant" in the blazon, as Joe put it "a Stag’s head Sable" is all you’ll ever need.

Robert Blackard

Robert Blackard
Joined  22-01-2012

09 March 2014 21:06

Can I get some pure review on my stuff. I’ve come to the last of it looks. The finish is in sight…

So, this is what I have:

Shield: Argent a stag courant over three chevronelles sable.

Crest: A stag’s head sable.

OR

Crest: A stage’s head couped Sable.

Mantle: Argent and Sable.

Motto: Acta non Verba

Thoughts?

mjsmith

mjsmith
Total Posts:  121
Joined  15-08-2012

10 March 2014 14:57

I like it, although should it be blazoned "chevronels" as opposed to "chevronelles" or would that even matter?

I vote again for "a Stag’s head Sable".

Robert Blackard

Robert Blackard
Joined  22-01-2012

11 March 2014 00:11

mjsmith;101658 wrote:

I like it, although should it be blazoned "chevronels" as opposed to "chevronelles" or would that even matter?

I vote again for "a Stag’s head Sable".

Thanks for your input! smile

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

11 March 2014 00:25

Robert Blackard;101657 wrote:

Crest: A stag’s head sable.

OR

Crest: A stage’s head couped Sable.

What do you envisage as the difference between these two?

David Pope

David Pope
Total Posts:  559
Joined  17-09-2010

11 March 2014 07:51

Since you’re canting on your name I think I would blazon the animal on the shield and crest as a hart, instead of a stag.

Robert Blackard

Robert Blackard
Joined  22-01-2012

11 March 2014 10:09

David Pope;101661 wrote:

Since you’re canting on your name I think I would blazon the animal on the shield and crest as a hart, instead of a stag.

Good point thank you. smile

Robert Blackard

Robert Blackard
Joined  22-01-2012

11 March 2014 10:15

Joseph McMillan;101660 wrote:

What do you envisage as the difference between these two?

Looking at it….and some Googling… They kind of say the same thing, this is from what I can tell. I guess it’s just depends on which one would looks more proper in the sense of Heraldry.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

11 March 2014 17:20

Robert Blackard;101663 wrote:

Looking at it….and some Googling… They kind of say the same thing, this is from what I can tell. I guess it’s just depends on which one would looks more proper in the sense of Heraldry.

Okay, just wanted to be sure.

"Couped" makes sense for a head charged on a shield, but not so much for a crest.  If you want to show the head issuing from the top of the helm, as would be normal, I would just say "a hart’s head Sable" (agreeing with David on blazoning a canting charge).

That said, you may want to add some minor element to the crest so it’s less likely to duplicate someone else’s.  Especially in monochrome, a stag’s/buck’s/hart’s head by itself is hardly distinctive.  Maybe charge the neck with a small silver chevron, or make the antlers silver, or have it holding something in the mouth?

Robert Blackard

Robert Blackard
Joined  22-01-2012

13 March 2014 00:45

Joseph McMillan;101664 wrote:

Okay, just wanted to be sure.

"Couped" makes sense for a head charged on a shield, but not so much for a crest.  If you want to show the head issuing from the top of the helm, as would be normal, I would just say "a hart’s head Sable" (agreeing with David on blazoning a canting charge).

That said, you may want to add some minor element to the crest so it’s less likely to duplicate someone else’s.  Especially in monochrome, a stag’s/buck’s/hart’s head by itself is hardly distinctive.  Maybe charge the neck with a small silver chevron, or make the antlers silver, or have it holding something in the mouth?

Tell me about it… While doing some research i found this http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~harney2/heraldry.htm

Harneys or Harnous of County Bedford (Check the picture) I really got to keep mine different…lol