Bishop Flores of San Diego

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

18 September 2013 11:58

http://www.diocese-sdiego.org/portals/0/Images/DioceseBishopShield_rgb_med_72dpi.png

Today, the pope accepted the resignation as Bishop of San Diego of Bishop Brom. He is succeeded immediately by his Coadjutor bishop, the Most Rev. Cirilo Flores.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

18 September 2013 22:05

Not the best rendition; what are the charges in the arms of the see?  Looks like a cup & waifer in the 1st quarter?  I can’t make out the apparently identical object in the other three quarters.

The personal arms look simple enough - i.e. the design seems nice enough - but would IMO benefit from a better emblazonment.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

18 September 2013 22:39

Michael F. McCartney;100652 wrote:

Not the best rendition; what are the charges in the arms of the see? Looks like a cup & waifer in the 1st quarter? I can’t make out the apparently identical object in the other three quarters.

A cooking pot in the first quarter, a passion nail in each of the other three. In Spanish heraldry, the cooking pot is a symbol of hospitality, generosity, or charity. I think the diocesan arms are very fine, but the tinctures used in this emblazonment don’t do them justice.  It should be (as I recall) Or a cross Gules between a stew pot and three passion nails palewise Sable.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

26 September 2013 02:43

Joe - thanks!  Now that I know what to look for, I can make it out smile

The blazon is clean & simple, but I agree this particular rendition (emblazonment) doesn’t do it justice.