Latin help needed

Dale Challener Roe

Dale Challener Roe
Total Posts:  453
Joined  19-03-2008

07 March 2014 22:54

"In Orbe Terrum Non Visi" is the unofficial motto of the US Army Long Range Surveillance units and seems to roughly translate to "ALL AROUND THE WORLD, UNSEEN"

A friend, who was a member, wants to riff on that a little.  How would one say "Unseen from Above"?

His best guess was "ex supra non visi"

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

07 March 2014 23:59

Don’t know if it’s good Latin, but it’s certainly bad theology smile

Which may or may not be a valid objection…

Dcgb7f

Dcgb7f
Total Posts:  516
Joined  07-07-2007

08 March 2014 23:03

Well, it’s not really that great of Latin. First off, it should be in orbe terrarum. I don’t know where they get "terrum"; it certainly is not a Classical Latin declensional form… maybe its a Late Latin mutation… not going to look it up right now. Secondly, non visus is a roundabout way of saying "unseen." Cicero would have used, and in fact did use, invisus, from which we get the English "invisible." It’s the difference between "not seen" and "unseen." So, the motto more literally means "on earth, not seen." (The Romans considered earth/the world to be a circumscribed piece of land, hence, literally, "circle of land.")

Your phrase would be ab supero invisus if you’re referring to a single male (or a grammatically masculine object) being unseen. For a plural, i.e. a group, invisi. For a female (or a grammatically feminine object) it’s invisa and in the plural invisae. You could use non visus if you like or would fit better your situation.

Notes: ex means "out of" and "supro" (cf. Sp. sobre) comes from the fact that the medial "e" is unstressed and dropped out from Western forms of vuglarized Latin. If your "from above" is referring to something less abstract, e.g. from the cliff above, then the grammatical gender of superus needs to be matched to the antecedent. I’ve interpreted your phrase to be an abstract "from above" and have used the neuter form, superum... of course in the ablative case as required by the preposition ab.

Dale Challener Roe

Dale Challener Roe
Total Posts:  453
Joined  19-03-2008

08 March 2014 23:27

Daniel,

Thank you for your informative reply.  I will forward that along to my friend.