Bishop Stephen Berg of Pueblo, Colorado

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

04 March 2014 01:37

Stumbled on the televised ordination (installation?) of Msgr Stephen Berg as the new bishop of Pueblo,Colorado.  Impressive ceremony, with the image of the arms of (I think) the diocese superimposed at one corner of the screen during the whole program, and brief glimpses of (I think) the new bishop’s arms—or maybe vice versa.

The (I think) diocesan arms look to be roughly as follows - the image wasn’t very large or clear:

Per fess embattled, in chief Gules a crowned heart Or between two (somethings) Argent charged with (something smaller) Gules; and in base per fess wavy Or and Gules a bar wavy Argent; above the shield a mitre with infule (if that’s the right term).

The other briefly-viewed arms are even more roughly:

Argent a bar wavy Gules, on a chief embattled Or what appear to be the three charges from the chief of the above arms but Gules (i.e. colors reversed).

Both look quite nice; hopefully Fr Guy can better blazon them, clarify which are diocesan & which personal, and give any other relevant background.

The telecast (given the hour, I assume taped) was on cable station EWTN, which appeards to be a Catholic religious station.

Dcgb7f

Dcgb7f
Total Posts:  516
Joined  07-07-2007

04 March 2014 08:41

From their website:

Bp Berg’s Arms

http://www.dioceseofpueblo.org/images/bishop_ordination/Official_Coat_of_Arms_web.jpg

Diocesan Arms

http://www.futurepriest.com/images/pueblologo.png

I have trouble considering the diocesan arms to be the same in both. Unfortunately Charles-Noonan’s description of the bishop’s arms was unhelpful. The closest he comes is alluding to many renditions of the diocesan arms use silver, and then he goes into a long winded explanation why white and silver are the same in heraldry.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

04 March 2014 09:03

The correct diocesan arms are "argent a fess wavy azure on a chief embattled gules…," which are wonderfully allusive.  The other one is merely some ignoramus digital designer’s travesty.

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

05 March 2014 00:59

rather nice arms.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

05 March 2014 23:33

Thanks all for the further information.  The new bishop’s personal arms as shown on the impaled version posted here are IMO quite striking & very, very nice!  If/when Bishop Berg moves on & up in the hjerarchy, I hope he retains them, & if I were one of his cousins/nephewa etc., I’d probably assume them for that Berg family, with or without the Chi Rho monogram depending in pesonal religious leanings.