NLP337

NLP337
Total Posts:  43
Joined  11-05-2014

04 September 2014 21:54

Greetings! I’ve been lurking a bit lately, and thought I’d finally say hi, and get on with the business of participating in this forum. :D

~ Lee

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

05 September 2014 00:11

Lee—Welcome aboard!

Since you’ve not posted before, we’d appreciate a bit of info re: you & your interest in heraldry.

For example, is your interest primarily in the art of heraldry?

or it’s history here (US) or elsewhere?

or the hows & whys of the design & use of arms?

or how it might relate to you & your family?

Where are you?  (State, city/county if you don’t mind sharing, nothing more detailed) - others in your general vicinity may occasionally get together for lunch but an invitation from Northern California isn’t much use if you’re in North Carolina)

Do you now have/use arms? If so, inherited or newly designed?

If so, what are they & how did you arrive at your design?

Or are you considering possibly designing new arms for self/family?

Etc.

All optional of course, but we’d appreciate knowing a bit about our fellow participants!

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

05 September 2014 16:14

Welcome Lee

NLP337

NLP337
Joined  11-05-2014

06 September 2014 01:14

Michael F. McCartney;102587 wrote:

Lee—Welcome aboard!

Since you’ve not posted before, we’d appreciate a bit of info re: you & your interest in heraldry.

For example, is your interest primarily in the art of heraldry?

or it’s history here (US) or elsewhere?

or the hows & whys of the design & use of arms?

or how it might relate to you & your family?

Where are you?  (State, city/county if you don’t mind sharing, nothing more detailed) - others in your general vicinity may occasionally get together for lunch but an invitation from Northern California isn’t much use if you’re in North Carolina)

Do you now have/use arms? If so, inherited or newly designed?

If so, what are they & how did you arrive at your design?

Or are you considering possibly designing new arms for self/family?

Etc.

All optional of course, but we’d appreciate knowing a bit about our fellow participants!

Thanks for the welcome, and I’d be glad to share more information. smile It has stuck with me all this time! I’m intrigued by the methods of identification, families and cultures used around the world (Mon used by the Japanese for example). As an American of African descent, I am especially interested in the pre and post colonialism methods of identification used by the different cultures of the African continent. Off the top of my head, it would seem that most of the heraldry practiced in most parts of Africa (that show that proclivity) is based on the English system (South Africa for example).

As an American, I have decided to assume a coat of arms,  which I’ve already designed. I actually would like to share it with the members of this board and get their valuable input and coaching but I’m currently waiting for my status to be upgraded to member (I know that may take a little bit of time, so I’m waiting patiently). Once I have access to the appropriate board, I’ll start that process. As I’m doing so, I’ll explain the meaning of the different elements that I’ve decided to use. I actually think I have a solid idea for my badge as well, but it will be interesting working that out here. I used Armorial Gold to create my CoA.

Heh. That’s probably more than you asked for, but if you do have more questions, please feel free to ask.

~ Lee

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

06 September 2014 19:09

Welcome Lee!

Looking forward to seeing your idea for new CoA and badge. :D

NLP337

NLP337
Joined  11-05-2014

07 September 2014 12:40

Question ... what is the usual wait for being moved from a Registered to a Society member? A copy of my membership email follows:

The American Heraldry Society

To Me Jun 19

Dear Nathaniel Peterson,

You have been registered as a member of The American Heraldry Society

http://ahs.memberlodge.com/

Your registration data:

Name: Nathaniel Peterson

Organization:

e-mail: (hidden by me, but verified)

I’m only including this in case someone with admin permissions happens to read this post and can take care of it directly. If I need to pm/email someone, please let me know.

Thanks!

NLP337

NLP337
Joined  11-05-2014

07 September 2014 22:50

Okay, here is my CoA. http://img251.imagevenue.com/loc32/th_141992972_Peterson8_122_32lo.jpg It has passed the refrigerator test, having been around and used in some ways over the last few years. My ‘badge’ of sorts is engraved on the scabbard of my sword as you can see if you look closely here: http://img213.imagevenue.com/loc828/th_144139444_Gedeyonlioncrest6_122_828lo.jpg

I’d like to stay as close to this design as possible, but am willing to make minor changes (in order to comply with color on color, etc). I look forward to feedback and suggestions. Questions are welcome.

1. The gray of the armor is actually silver and the yellow is gold. I understand that it is unusual to have silver on top of gold since they are metals, but I’m limited because of the color on color rule.

2. The spears behind the shield are not meant to be supporters. If it is assumed that they are, then I’ll either alter them (by making one of them a banner/flag), or just remove them all together.

3. I’m not sure how to blazon this CoA. It has been awhile since I’ve used heraldic terms, so to blazon this alludes me. :sad: The warrior is a paladin, rather than a knight.

I hope this is a good start. smile

~ Lee

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

09 September 2014 02:42

Should be fun!

You might enjoy looking at our Members Roll linked to our home page.  While most of us are from European roots, there are a few whose roots are African (Egypt, Ethiopia) or other non-European origins & some display both European & non-European styles.  Heraldicaly they are the same, but illustrate the wide latitude of artistic license available, including use of shield shapes etc. harking back to African or other non-European origins.