More Blazon Help

Iain Boyd

Iain Boyd
Total Posts:  309
Joined  15-10-2005

03 December 2014 04:19

How about -

"Per saltire gules and argent a lozenge embowed throughout counter-changed."

The only major problem with this blazon is that a lozenge is actually a charge and, as such, is placed on the field, whereas, what is illustrated are two divisions of the field!

Regards,

Iain Boyd

David Pope

David Pope
Total Posts:  559
Joined  17-09-2010

03 December 2014 05:32

Per saltire Gules and Argent a lozenge (?not sure how to describe the bowed sides) throughout counterchanged.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

03 December 2014 07:58

Iain Boyd;103127 wrote:

How about -

"Per saltire gules and argent a lozenge embowed throughout counter-changed."

The only major problem with this blazon is that a lozenge is actually a charge and, as such, is placed on the field, whereas, what is illustrated are two divisions of the field!

Regards,

Iain Boyd

The lozenge can certainly be viewed as a charge counterchanged.  I see no issue with your blazon.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

03 December 2014 08:13

Kathy McClurg;103094 wrote:

Wouldn’t it be per fess Gules and Argent because the roundels are counterchanged?

Per pale Gules and Argent demi-roundels issuing from chief and base conjoined at fess point counterchanged.

I should really stop doing these things half asleep.. my question was shouldn’t it be per pale Gules and Argent rather than Per pale Argent and gules

Also, minor additional comment… I noted the original post was "I have been playing with divisions of the field" - If a "new" division of the field can be blazoned without having to make some kind of "new" description - then I would say it’s not a new division of the field.

The "roundel" solution due to "issuant" and "conjoined"  is outside the normal "size" for a roundel - but I still think of all the charges traditionally available to us it is the most accurately descriptive for the next artist.

Having said that.. can one do something with a saltire convex.. Or a Saltire embowed in chief an base?... just throwing it out there.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

03 December 2014 09:29

Sketching out John’s suggested blazon of piles convex issuant from the flanks, I’m now not so sure about my objection.  I did several versions with the piles in various proportions, and at least on a traditional heater shield none of them are so far removed from the semi-circular partition lines in the original drawing as to create a problem.

Narrow piles

http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1376&stc=1&d=1417616939

Wide piles

http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1377&stc=1&d=1417616939

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

03 December 2014 19:24

All of which demonstrates that the "science" of blazoned is as much art as science.  FWIW (maybe not much!) I prefer the versions that emphasize the major visual element - in this case, two semi-circles - rather than the relatively minor visual elements - in this case, the pile-like thingies between the semi-circles.

However, John’s pile version seems equally "correct" or at least close enough for government work, based on Joe’s sketches.

I do like Larry’s second proposal with the concave lozenge - attractive and easier to blazon smile

larrysnyder

larrysnyder
Total Posts:  70
Joined  30-09-2009

04 December 2014 01:03

The concave lozenge is, I believe, correctly termed a hypocycloid of four points, in my example it is over all upright (points up) and per saltire counterchanged.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

04 December 2014 07:47

larrysnyder;103133 wrote:

The concave lozenge is, I believe, correctly termed a hypocycloid of four points, in my example it is over all upright (points up) and per saltire counterchanged.

Geometrically it may be a hypocycloid, but I doubt you’ll find that term in any dictionary of heraldic terms.  Blazon needs to be written whenever possible using the heraldic lexicon, so it can be understand by heraldic artists without consulting the mathematician next door.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

04 December 2014 21:32

Of course you could have as the motto "semper hypercycloidis"!

(sounds like an STD…)