questions about some rules.

ShaunPaul

ShaunPaul
Total Posts:  15
Joined  09-11-2014

27 February 2015 23:07

haha yea. But i do like that I’ve got a blazon that allows it to also be drawn more heraldically too. I’m ok breaking with convention a little but I like knowing what the convention is first, so that I know what i am doing in breaking with it. Once I have new drawings done I will probably give in and join officially so I can legally show you people what I’ve got smile—- not sure when I will have the chance to redraw them but when I do i will be back!

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

28 February 2015 09:19

Jeremy Keith Hammond;103578 wrote:

Well, the benefit of living in our great country means that you can do whatever you want when it comes to representing yourself in some artistic manner. If that’s the design that suits you, then that’s the design that suits you.

Whether or not it’s heraldry.

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

28 February 2015 14:15

ShaunPaul;103420 wrote:

My brothers. What he is trying to portray is a) his heritage. Serbia and Italy… The reason he chose the two eagles is because they symbolize Serbia and Italy. But again, clearly neither of us were thinking when we slapped the actual Serbian arms on there. And i’m sure that eagle with the thunderbolts is pushing it too. But would the two headed silver eagle WITHOUT all the other stuff. and the one headed golden eagle WITHOUT the thunderbolts be sufficient to symbolize the heritage without pretending to be royalty?

I would like to respectfully point out that the symbols he has chosen represent Serbia and Rome (as in the ancient empire) not Italy. An eagle with thunderbolts is not in any way a symbol of Italian heritage. In fact, it looks more like a symbol of the Napoleonic era than anything Italian. The only time since Italy has been a nation as we know it that an eagle was used in a national symbol was for the short-lived Fascist (really Nazi puppet) Social Republic that existed for a little over a year toward the end of WWII (The capitol was in Saló). Whereas, the emblem of modern Italy shows a star depicted superimposed on a cogwheel. Why can’t the star and cogwheel already in your brother’s arms double as symbols of his Italian heritage? There is no rule that says a charge may only symbolize one thing. In fact, it’s really bad design if it does, in my opinion. This may mean abandoning the quartered shield design but you should drop what you suppose to be an "Italian" eagle altogether…unless your brother is claiming ille civis Romanus est?

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

28 February 2015 14:18

Kathy McClurg;103378 wrote:

She is welcome to display her arms as she sees fit.  As long as she is aware that she is assenting to a tradition of sexism (yeah, I’m consistent at least)

No, it’s a tradition born in chivalry not sexism (which didn’t exist when heraldry was created).

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

28 February 2015 14:21

I think your charge is a logo, not heraldry. (kind of harsh, but.. honest).

I concur. I simply don’t see why you insist that the wolf’s head must be depicted on the crescent. A general rule of thumb in heraldry is that charges do not overlap.

By the way, lest you think all I’m doing is picking nits, I would like to say that I think you draw very well.

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

28 February 2015 14:23

Heraldry is an art form with some restrictions by custom and tradition..

Yeah, like what shape of shield is traditionally used by women.

(Sorry…I couldn’t resist!) wink

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

01 March 2015 16:49

gselvester;103592 wrote:

Yeah, like what shape of shield is traditionally used by women.

(Sorry…I couldn’t resist!) wink

Where and when, Fr. Guy?  Where and when?  And didn’t clergy in a number of times and locations traditionally NOT use heaters?  :rolleyes: