Interesting commission

david

david
Total Posts:  211
Joined  28-05-2009

31 October 2015 14:03

Greetings, all.  For the last few months I’ve been working on a private commission involving a display piece that combines genealogical data in form of text with two ancestral shields.  AHS members may recognize one of these from the roll of Early American Arms.  My version follows the Crozier blazon for George Poindexter of Virginia, which blazon also appears in Burke’s for the ancestral family that was prominent in the history of Jersey, Channel Islands.

The earlier shield, carved in stone at property that once belonged to a cadet branch, was featured on an official postage stamp.  A rough stab at the blazon: Argent between three roses a fess Gules charged with a mullet pierced Or. I plan to post the entire painting later in November after the original painting is unveiled by my client.  I drew the heraldic elements by hand, then scanned and painted color digitally.  These shields were extracted from the painting file, so the outline has some rough spots.  The fist went through several iterations before the client felt it was fitting to represent the name.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/DaiMonPaul/Poindexter shields for armorial painting online display copy.jpg

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

31 October 2015 19:54

Very nice! - looking forward to seeing the final document!

MacEanruig

MacEanruig
Total Posts:  49
Joined  07-11-2014

01 November 2015 20:50

David, you do extremely nice work.

david

david
Joined  28-05-2009

02 November 2015 15:28

Thanks for the positive comments. It means a lot to know folks like my work.

david

david
Joined  28-05-2009

10 November 2015 15:20

Here is the completed genealogical / armorial painting including the shields that I posted separately earlier this month.  I understand that this 19 x 27 inch canvas is being framed for display purposes and the digital file may be used for print or other media.  There is quite a large family association that holds regular gatherings, organizes tours to Jersey, etc.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/DaiMonPaul/JP Armorial revision 5 final art small file.jpg