Coat of Arms Design

JJB1

JJB1
Total Posts:  83
Joined  31-10-2014

12 January 2016 16:47

OK, so the design you saw earlier in the thread has been approved. That’s what I’m going to use for my heraldry. Thanks again on the feedback and for helping me make the decision.

Arms: Per fess embattled Or and Vert in chief two Grenades Sable enflamed proper and in base a Bowl Or

Crest: Upon a Helm with a Wreath Or and Vert A demi wild Horse Argent maned tailed and unguled Or holding in the mouth a Rose also Or barbed slipped and leaved Vert and resting the hooves on a Prickly Pear Cactus also Vert

Mantled Vert lined Or

Motto: BOLDLY FORWARD

Badge: Within a Circlet of five Quills Gules a Rose Or barbed Vert

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

12 January 2016 17:13

Congratulations! - a very nice design.

Can’t resist suggesting another motto - "Hallelujah!"

(from the old song, "Hallelujah, I’m a bum…". wink

David Pope

David Pope
Total Posts:  559
Joined  17-09-2010

12 January 2016 20:02

Congratulations. Can’t wait to see your letters patent.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

12 January 2016 21:02

JJB;105298 wrote:

Perhaps it [the embattled partition line] was a play on words someone thought of a year ago to Fort Worth, TX?

If that’s the case, I love it.  Once again, a single charge signifying several things, which is what heraldic design should strive for.  Very nice.

JJB1

JJB1
Total Posts:  83
Joined  31-10-2014

15 January 2016 12:48

David Pope;105364 wrote:

Congratulations. Can’t wait to see your letters patent.

Thanks, I’ll show them when they’re here. Mine are not going to be anything fancy though. I’ve heard everywhere that it takes about a year from the time the arms are approved and recognized until the letters patent are received.

If you’ve ever wondered why so many letters patent visible online or elsewhere appear so different from one another (number of seals, amount of accent artwork, etc.), I can explain why for those who don’t already know. If you knew this already, I apologize since I just learned it.

Although the Letters Patent are bought and paid for during the submission of the Memorial, something I was not aware of is that the petitioner is offered about 3,200 quid (not bucks) worth of upgrades to embellish their letters patent document a little after the grant is made. These include a painted border with animals, trees or whatever in lieu of no border. The outlines of the Royal Arms and the Arms of the College at the top of the document are normally printed and then painted in unless one wants to upgrade and have them painted entirely to give a bolder appearance. The CoA recommends this if the document is to be framed and displayed. There is the exemplification of the standard, which the petitioner can format however he likes (badge-crest-badge or crest-badge-badge or whatever). Having a different writing style other than copperplate is an upgrade. There is an additional charge to have one’s orders or honors shown on the arms. Sometimes the upgrades affect the size of the document in order to make room. So not all letters patent are the same size.

Basically, the letters patent you see on the CoA website is an upgraded version. Though I can’t tell if the arms at the top of those letters patent were fully painted or just filled in. I requested no upgrades for myself. Also, Americans typically receive seals from all three Kings of Arms, while Crown subjects may only have seals of one or two of the Kings of Arms. So mine will show the wording, the three arms at the top, and then my arms and my badge with the three pendent seals at the bottom.