Unusual Ordinaries or Odd Placement Question

braddy

braddy
Total Posts:  9
Joined  26-09-2014

18 January 2016 13:11

Wondering if this is even possible.

I’m tinkering with adding a chief fretty to my COA that I am designing but really like the look of pale fretty, pushed to the left? Similar to a flag with a pale on the hoist side (think North Carolina, Texas, etc.). Is there a way to blazon that?

Poor drawing: http://i.imgur.com/R3P7YaWh.jpg

Claus K Berntsen

Claus K Berntsen
Total Posts:  308
Joined  25-05-2005

18 January 2016 15:35

Wouldn’t that be a side?

Argent, a side sable fretty argent?

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

19 January 2016 02:14

Not sure of the correct term - Claus may well be right.

But what else will be on the rest of the field?  Can’t usefully discuss the design based on only this one piece.

(Have to admit I’m sceptical, but withholding comments based on only partial evidence!)

kimon

kimon
Total Posts:  1035
Joined  28-03-2008

19 January 2016 08:40

Wouldn’t it be something like per pale enhanced dexter fretty and ...?

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

19 January 2016 13:32

Could be, but seems confusing because enhanced usually means shifted upwards, which isn’t the case here.  Maybe "shifted to dexter" but that could mean all the was to that side, or only partway with a slice of the field still showing…

There’s likely a term for it in one of the heraldic dictionaries, but most of my books are boxed & stored during home renovations. :(

braddy

braddy
Joined  26-09-2014

05 February 2016 17:26

Here’s an updated sketch… http://i.imgur.com/U5OoXx7.jpg?2

The colors are more for representation. I designed the dexter portion before and had it in another thread. Kind of an homage/nod to an older Brady design I know is out there, but with changes that reflect me.

I love fretty and really want to add it, but for some reason don’t like it as a chief, maybe because the current design is very vertical and adding a chief only takes away space instead of using excess?

QuiQuog

QuiQuog
Total Posts:  97
Joined  10-10-2013

08 February 2016 17:10

I like the balance of elements, very pleasing to the eye. When you first posted the idea of 1/3 field fretty, I really liked it. I started sketching some ideas of my own with that field division. I may steal it for my own use.

One question for those with more heraldic knowledge than myself, is it fretty if the bendlets aren’t interlacing? I realize that this is just a quick sketch, but it looks like the white is over the top of the red.

Claus K Berntsen

Claus K Berntsen
Total Posts:  308
Joined  25-05-2005

08 February 2016 17:32

I would blazon that as Sable a crescent above a pointing hand, both Argent, a side Gules fretty Argent, which brings us to the problem my Scandinavian eyes see: Gules on Sable is a violation of the tincture rule, the side should be a metal.

QuiQuog

QuiQuog
Total Posts:  97
Joined  10-10-2013

08 February 2016 17:56

Claus K Berntsen;105421 wrote:

I would blazon that as Sable a crescent above a pointing hand, both Argent, a side Gules fretty Argent, which brings us to the problem my Scandinavian eyes see: Gules on Sable is a violation of the tincture rule, the side should be a metal.

Although shifted dexter, isn’t it simply a division of the field? The rule of color on color, or metal on metal isn’t applicable.

David Pope

David Pope
Total Posts:  559
Joined  17-09-2010

08 February 2016 19:13

What about:

Gules fretty Argent on a pile throughout Sable a dexter hand….crescent Argent.

That brings a bit more balance to the design, takes into account the shape of the charges and avoids the color on color violation.

David Pope

David Pope
Total Posts:  559
Joined  17-09-2010

08 February 2016 19:23

Also consider per saltire Sable and Gules fretty Argent in chief a crescent and in base a dexter hand… Argent.  Nice balance and colors.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

08 February 2016 22:37

Two more possible patterns, colors as desired: both with the field fretty, and with the pointing arm and crescent on either a pale or a bend.

braddy

braddy
Joined  26-09-2014

29 April 2016 12:59

Thank you for the suggestions about the different options. I think I like Claus’ idea of a side best. Would you need to specify sinister versus dexter?

I did find this interesting image on WikiCommons which seems to be exactly what I am looking for…though it’s in Spanish, "Pieza - Adiestrado".

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Pieza_-_adiestrado.svg