What Makes a Coat of Arms "American?"

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

26 March 2016 04:06

Seb - good questions! - but I can only speculate…

So… to what degree might we share similar do’s and don’ts with some or all of the Latin American republics - or for that matter,  to what degree might they share similar etc. with each other?

The answers will likely will depend on or reflect the similarities and differences in our various national cultures, which in turn will reflect or depend in our various national histories, and the histories and cultures of the relevant European parent cultures at the key time periods for each colony/republic.  Not a simple set of questions!

Following comments roughly based on relevant parts of "The Founding of New Societies - Studies in the history of the United States, Latin America, South Africa, Australia and Canada" (Louis Hartz, Ed., Harcourt, Brace & World, 1964).  Basic theory is that each new society is a "fragment" and partial reflection of the norms and values of the parent country, at the time of initial settlement (and a reaction against that parent culture as it was at the time leading to Independence).  Depending on timing, the parent culture was either feudal, liberal or radical in nature, which set the direction of its colonial fragments.  (Vastly oversimplifying of course)

At the time of initial settlement of most of Latin America the parent Spanish culture was essentially feudal; while the parent English culture of the North American colonies was liberal.  Those differences, along with the political and military ups and downs of the colonial powers in Europe and the New World, shaped quite different cultures; and when the various new republics won Independence, those cultures remained different in spite of formally similar republican government structures.  (Again, vastly simplified)

Moving to heraldry (mercifully not addressed in the book!) it seems to me unlikely that the colonial and republican heraldryse different old-world and colonial cultures would be

David Pope

David Pope
Total Posts:  559
Joined  17-09-2010

26 March 2016 12:08

So how do we view foreign grants or registrations by American citizens?  I appreciate that the legal status of such arms in the US is the same as assumed arms, that is to say no legal status, as US law doesn’t recognize any sort of personal heraldry on the basis of being heraldry (I’m purposefully setting to the side trademark protection, etc.).

But is an English grant borne by an American, American heraldry? Or is it merely English heraldry being displayed in America?

If it is American heraldry, then perhaps that’s key to defining American heraldry.  I can’t think of another jurisdiction without a heraldic authority that has such a large proportion of armigers with "foreign"  arms.

As to the prevalence of certain "American" charges being the defining factor, I think that’s a bit of a red herring.  There may be specific charges that are seen more often in an American context, but that feature is present in most other jurisdictions.  We wouldn’t define Irish heraldry as having lots of trefoils vert, although those can be found in abundance.  We might, however, say that Irish heraldry does, uniquely, use mantling gules doubled argent as default, regardless of the liveries of the arms.

snelson

snelson
Total Posts:  464
Joined  03-06-2005

26 March 2016 12:24

I wonder how heraldists elsewhere in the Americas have tried to identify their own indigenous customs, rules and styles (if at all)?  If so, their experiences may reveal some interesting parallels (or pitfalls).  It seems that some of our sister republics are home to some heraldic societies (some of which seem to have been around for quite a while).  The C.I.G.H. website (http://www.cigh.org/membres.htm) mentions the Confederación Iberoamericana de ciencias Genealogica y Heraldica (in Costa Rica), the Academia Mexicana de Genealogia y Heraldica (founded in 1943) and the Academia Dominicana de Genealogia y Heraldica.  There is also an Academia Argentina de Genealogía y Heráldica founded in 1972 (http://www.genealogiacordoba.com.ar/) and an Academia de Ciencias Genealógicas y Heráldicas de Bolivia (http://www.acghb.com.bo/).  Is anyone aware of any other active societies in a republic in this hemisphere?

JJB1

JJB1
Total Posts:  83
Joined  31-10-2014

26 March 2016 16:52

Michael F. McCartney;105738 wrote:

I was still editing my last post when the website cut me off - some nonsense about backing up, but I suspect it just decided I’d already burned up my bandwidth quota wink

What I had planned to add, was that what makes American heraldry distinctive is usually not uniquely American charges in individual arms; rather, it is the cumulative pattern of do’s and don’ts in the design and vetting of new arms, and the modification of existing or "imported" arms to conform to those do’s and don’ts.

For example, in vetting new designs, we do (or should) look beyond our own borders for possible conflicts, rather than playing the European official heralds’ game of blinders beyond our own borders.

We don’t (or shouldn’t) include items - typically extetnal adfitaments - that generally connote or suggest noblesse, which is contrary to our historical norms; and we do (or should) "prune" any of those items that may be part of an armorisl achievement inherited from or granted by any foreign heraldic tradition, retaining only those elements that are appropriate here.

Those sorts of practical do’s and don’ts, shoulds and shouldn’ts, are what define our heraldry as consistent with what it means to be an American, aware and respectful of others and avoiding the temptation of flying under false colors.

Well said. I agree. Maybe it’s the approach to the design that has distinction rather than the design itself.

JJB1

JJB1
Total Posts:  83
Joined  31-10-2014

26 March 2016 17:06

David Pope;105743 wrote:

But is an English grant borne by an American, American heraldry? Or is it merely English heraldry being displayed in America?

If it is American heraldry, then perhaps that’s key to defining American heraldry.  I can’t think of another jurisdiction without a heraldic authority that has such a large proportion of armigers with "foreign"  arms.

As to the prevalence of certain "American" charges being the defining factor, I think that’s a bit of a red herring.  There may be specific charges that are seen more often in an American context, but that feature is present in most other jurisdictions.  We wouldn’t define Irish heraldry as having lots of trefoils vert, although those can be found in abundance.  We might, however, say that Irish heraldry does, uniquely, use mantling gules doubled argent as default, regardless of the liveries of the arms.

I agree with these points. Since our states united are mostly populated with descendants of immigrants from Europe or Africa, then maybe a hypothesis could be that American heraldry tends to often (but not always) have subtle or obvious references to ancestral nations.

By the same token, maybe Americans seeking foreign grants are more likely to feel obliged to make references to their US nationality in their arms.

David Pope

David Pope
Total Posts:  559
Joined  17-09-2010

26 March 2016 17:53

JJB;105746 wrote:

I agree with these points. Since our states united are mostly populated with descendants of immigrants from Europe or Africa, then maybe a hypothesis could be that American heraldry tends to often (but not always) have subtle or obvious references to ancestral nations.

By the same token, maybe Americans seeking foreign grants are more likely to feel obliged to make references to their US nationality in their arms.

That makes sense to me.  Telling others I’m American doesn’t say much (anything?) about my heritage.  If I sought a foreign grant as a way of recognizing my heritage, though, it might be nice to have a subtle reference to the US, or more likely in my case, NC.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

27 March 2016 21:48

Given that the generally accepted definition of heraldry includes both identity and heritability, it’s not at all surprising that new arms frequently include references to lineage - which for many is an important part of our inherited identity, looking both back and forward.  Even new arms with no backwark look, which is always an option,  potentially begin a new armorial lineage looking forward.

This isn’t inconsistant with the American norms and values which IMO form the sidebars for heraldry in the US, so long as the look-back is honest as to our roots and appropriately expressed.  Honesty and appropriateness preclude the bucket-shop approach of asserting lineage based only on same/similar names, or differencing from arms borne by unrelated folk in ways that are insufficient and/or which suggest proven cadency.

There are after all only a few general approaches to designing new arms.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

27 March 2016 22:09

Given that the generally accepted definition of heraldry includes both identity and heritability, it’s not at all surprising that new arms frequently include references to lineage - which for many is an important part of our inherited identity, looking both back and forward.  Even new arms with no backwark look, which is always an option,  potentially begin a new armorial lineage looking forward.

This isn’t inconsistant with the American norms and values which IMO form the sidebars for heraldry in the US, so long as the look-back is honest as to our roots and appropriately expressed.  Honesty and appropriateness preclude the bucket-shop approach of asserting lineage based only on same/similar names, or differencing from arms borne by unrelated folk in ways that are insufficient and/or which suggest proven cadency.

There are after all only a few general approaches to designing new arms - in no particular order, canting or allusive to name or etymology; occupational; notable events or achievements; religious faith or philosophical beliefs; location ( national or local); and likely a few more I can’t immediately recall.  And of course just "because I like it" with no deeper meaning.

Any of these can be applied singly or in combination, and can be applied directly to the new armiger and any descendants, to his/her immediate or extended family, or to the descendants of a more remote common ancestor.

What makes this hopefully relevant is that these general approaches pretty much describe not just the current design of new arms in the US, but the design of any arms, past or present, here or any foreign elsewhere.  They are all as appropriate here as anywhere else, subject only to any national or culture-specific do’s and don’ts.  And if/when transported to a new location by immigration or inheritance, or when newly grantef or assumed in one place by a foreigner, use in that foreigner’s own place is subject to the do’s and don’ts of that place, which may differ from those in the arms’ place of origin.

Luis Cid

Luis Cid
Total Posts:  163
Joined  03-09-2009

29 March 2016 17:38

Unfortunately in the USA, England, France, Itay, Spain, and elsewhere the bucket-shop arms predominate.  In England heraldry is regulated by a private institution, the College of Arms, and not by laws that may be inforced by Common Law courts, a clear majority of those who bear arms have usurped them.  The usurpation of other’s arms gained ground with the end of the herald’s visitations in the 17th century and continued to grow during the 18th and 19th centuries when the civil law court which adjudicated such matters ceased to sit. Because of subsequent legal changes in the U.K. this court cannot now sit without new enabling legislation.  To my knowlege only in Scotland and South Africa are arms truely protected under law - both jurisdictions that have heraldic authorities with legal enforcement mechanisms through the law courts, and both by coincidence (or not) are hybrid legal systems common law/roman civil law to one extent or another.

The importance of the AHS, the ACH, and other heraldic societies in the USA is to attempt to educate the public as to appropriate heraldic practices and expose the fraud which are the bucket-shops.  Without a heraldic authority with teeth such as Scotland or South Africa we must rely on people’s honesty and good taste - as in the rest of the world, including England.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

29 March 2016 21:15

Amen!

Wilfred Leblanc

Wilfred Leblanc
Total Posts:  1223
Joined  31-07-2007

30 March 2016 15:58

Interesting thread, but it kind of seems like the upshot is that there’s nothing visible anyone can point to about American coats of arms (in the aggregate) that indicates that their bearers are American citizens.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

30 March 2016 16:17

Fred’s comment is a good launching point for my thought when this whole subject came up:  how easy is it to identify the source of personal arms from anywhere merely by their appearance?  Polish obviously, Italian and Spanish probably.  North of the Alps, I’m skeptical.

Wilfred Leblanc

Wilfred Leblanc
Total Posts:  1223
Joined  31-07-2007

30 March 2016 19:36

To Joe’s list, I would add Hungarian arms, which have some immediately recognizable tendencies.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

01 April 2016 16:28

I agree that there’s usually* nothing to positively identify arms as American (*unless the arms happen to include some uniquely American flora or fauna - but even in those cases, there’s no general rule that someone in Europe, Canada, Latin America or anywhere else isn’t allowed to include American stuff if he/she wants to).

BUT there are things - almost all external additaments - that definitely (should) positively show that a coat of arms are NOT American!

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

03 April 2016 17:18

It occurred to me - not for the first time - at lunch today at our currently favorite Vietnamese restaurant, that asking what (if anything) makes for uniquely American arms is a bit like asking what makes for uniquely American food.

There are in some cases regional differences or preferences - Philly cheese steak and Boston baked bean, Southern fried steak chicken and corn fritters, Alaskan smoked salmon and so forth, based in part on locally available produce and in part on historical ethnic differences.  Much is what we used to call "foreign food" but nowadays American food includes spaghetti and chow mein and any number of other dishes originating elsewhere but now served in both local and chain theme restaurants nationwide.

Often we talk about "authentic" Chinese or Italian or other cuisine, though if we’re honest there is a caveat that we don’t really want it too authentic; and trendy eateries sometimes focus on "fusion" of, say, Chinese and Mexican dishes that wouldn’t be recognizable in Shanghai or Guadalajara outside of places aimed at American tourists. (I remember reading recently that the Irish in Ireland typically have pork rather than corned beef for St Patrick’s Day…)

Much if not most of the above could substitute heraldry for cuisine and arms for dishes.  The distinctly American aspect of heraldry, as with cuisine, is in large part the wide variety of styles and tastes, largely drawn from foreign sources but omitting or modifying certain aspects to meet local or national criteria.  With food, it’s food safety; with heraldry, it’s omitting those foreign elements incompatible with a society which by design eschews the concept of noblesse.