blazon, etc. assistance please

dhjohnson+heraldry@gmail.com

dhjohnson+heraldry@gmail.com
Total Posts:  1
Joined  28-02-2020

28 February 2020 09:38

I’m attempting to create a coat of arms for a hopefully soon-to-be-chartered boy scout troop at the Catholic church I attend.  May I please have your guidance/feedback on the following?  I’m mostly concerned about my amateurish attempt at the blazon, but don’t mind help with the arms.  As you can see, I’m still putting together some of the symbolism.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,
David

Blazon
Shield:  Gules, chape ployé Azure, with a lily Argent; the chape with twelve mullets Or.
Crest:  From a wreath Gules and Azure, a pelican in her piety.
Motto:  “Quodcumque Dixerit Vobis Facite”

Symbolism
The shape and colors of the division of the field is intended to call to mind the blue (to a Scout, representing purity???, royal status???, and XXXXXXX???) cloak or outer garment and the red (to a Scout, representing XXXXXXX, XXXXXXX, and XXXXXXX) robe or inner garment worn by Mary as she has traditionally been depicted in Christian art for at least the last thousand years.  The cloak shape reminds a Scout that one of the few things he truly needs is “raiment”, and also of the shape of a tent.  The lily is yet another Marian symbol, but is also the state flower of Tennessee, where the troop is located and conducts most of its activities, and is also the root of the Scouting Movement’s fleur-de-lis.  The twelve stars are symbolic of the twelve points of the Scout Law, but also the Blessed Virgin Mary’s crown of twelve stars (Revelation 12:1).

The pelican in her piety is a symbol found on the altar of Saint Mary’s Church and reminds a Scout to be loyal and helpful—even to the point of being self-sacrificial.

The motto, “Quodcumque dixerit vobis, facite”, is the Latin version of John 2:5 (The Wedding at Cana):  “Do whatever he tells you.”  It is one of the few Marian quotes in the Bible and reminds a Scout to be obedient.

Image Attachments

forum.png