Assumption Catholic School Arms

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

29 June 2006 23:35

Hi Ian. Sorry I already made these ones up and bring them here. I can make one like Nicolas suggested but with a gules estoile. I’ll get back to that one later. smile

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

29 June 2006 23:43

Oh my goodness Nicolas. I feel like a dunce! The books I have show a star irradiated as a star wavy like an estoile. I did not even catch the ‘as in the arms of Italy’ idea! Now these don’t look like what you wanted.

Sigh…I will do them again and this time I will put the right star on there and I will make another one like Ian suggested.

Man I feel like a complete goof!

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

30 June 2006 00:25

Dennis,

I like the top emblazon, with the book in base.

Try placing "Ave Maria" on the left folio, and "Gratia Plena" on the second as in this example of "Vita Dulcedo Spes":

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/26/Notre_dame_coat_of_arms.png

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

30 June 2006 02:31

Thanks Guy. I will try to write it that way. I chose Luke’s, "Hail Mary, full of Grace (Ave Maria Gratia Plena), but I think that is too much to cram in there. I think if they go for this one I will write it simply Ave Maria, as that is an obvious allusion to that passage of Scripture.

I wonder if I should try to do it with a cross rising out of the top of three cones with one star in the dexter chief and a fleur-de-lis in sinister chief and the book on the base stem, as seen in your example. This way it alludes to the cones that are in the parish’s arms I drew as well as give it a more scholastic look with the book and still retain the fleur-de-lis they want.

Nicolas Vernot

Nicolas Vernot
Total Posts:  199
Joined  22-01-2006

30 June 2006 04:12

My mistake, Donnchadh !

I am trying to learn how to blazon in english, but it sometimes looks like the hell’s road to me…

The star I had in mind is a straight five points star, with small rays from the corners (a very XIXth century star).

I would avoid the red star, because of some undesired political association you could get with it.

I think the star should remain Or voided Azure, for symbolical reasons. If the Or part is thick enough, it will work.

As far as the crest is concerned, I think Joe’s suggestion was good : just keep a wreath, with no helmet. You could imagine, then, as a crest topping the wreath, a demi-animal (or angel) holding a helmet, for example.

Nicolas

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

30 June 2006 08:08

Donnchadh wrote:

***I edited this post to show the colored sketches instead of the ink sketches I had here originally***

Hi Ian. Sorry I already made these ones up and bring them here. I can make one like Nicolas suggested but with a gules estoile. I’ll get back to that one later. smile

I like the one top center. However, I would place two fleur-de-lis in chief in the two quarters and place the (blue) star on the cross instead. Or you could eliminate the fleur-de-lis on the cross and simply have a fleur-de-lis to dexter and a star to sinister in chief.

I would also try a combination of all three by using the design to lower left with thr writing in the book and one fleur-de-lis Argent in dexter chief.

I might also try the cross fleury with the book over all including the writing and simply eliminate the star.

Hardouin

Hardouin
Total Posts:  58
Joined  16-09-2005

30 June 2006 08:52

Donnchadh,

I really like the cross fluery Nicolas suggested. Most of the academic heraldry I have seen looks over-burdened with busy shields full of charges. This will really set it off from other schools in the area, I think, and make for a more elegant achievement.

Robert

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

01 July 2006 11:59

Cross fleury, book centered with inscription, star for the Assumption in dexter chief.  Although that may get you a little too close to Notre Dame.

Edward Wenzl

Edward Wenzl
Total Posts:  158
Joined  18-04-2006

02 July 2006 03:59

I placed myself in my former role as a school administrator and asked which one of these arms would my administration like - I came up with the answer of the top center.  Maybe shorten the text on the book to just "Ave Maria."

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

02 July 2006 11:49

Thanks everyone. I should be meeting with father this week, as he is back from Vietnam. I don’t know if I will meet with the parent advisory council and/or the school administration and/or the pastoral council (sometimes I think there are too many committees). We’ll see how it goes.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

04 July 2006 03:48

If you give them two or three suitable versions & ask which they like best, they will at best take ownership of the chosen design (or at worst, you might have an armorial Belfast! smile

You’ve mentioned "cones" several times—I assume (from the context) that you are referring to the stylized triple-mount representing hills or mountains?  If the rest of the design is simple enough, you could have the cross (a latin cross - i.e. with the upper & side ends couped, not a cross thoughout) rising from the center mount.  The triple-mount is fairly common in Italian heraldry, though of course not exclusively Italian; e.g. the arms of the Mondavi family used on some of Peter Mondavi’s wine lables.  I haven’t drawn it yet, but you might give it a try & see if it’s worth adding to the designs presented to the school.