Search Function

snelson

snelson
Total Posts:  464
Joined  03-06-2005

20 June 2006 17:15

Hello

Can anyone tell me how to search for keywords on the forum?

Thanks

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

20 June 2006 17:21

Look at the top black bar….

snelson

snelson
Joined  03-06-2005

20 June 2006 17:26

Thanks Michael.  All I see is on the top black bar is User CP, FAQ, Members List, Calendar, Quick Links and Log Out.  Which one should I click on for keyword searching?

Thanks

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

20 June 2006 17:44

snelson wrote:

Thanks Michael.  All I see is on the top black bar is User CP, FAQ, Members List, Calendar, Quick Links and Log Out.  Which one should I click on for keyword searching?

Thanks

I just checked permissions and it appears the "Search" is currently turned on for members only.

snelson

snelson
Joined  03-06-2005

20 June 2006 19:13

I see.  Can you tell me which other functions are reserved for members only?

Thanks!

Jeremy K. Hammond

Jeremy K. Hammond
Total Posts:  1914
Joined  22-02-2016

21 June 2006 15:19

Members can also upload attachments to their posts and have a higher limit on number of private messages they can store, avatar sizes can be larger, they can create polls and they also have access to the Members Area where we discuss our current and future courses of action as we accomplish our goals of education and striving to put into place some sort of legal protection for armigerous individuals.

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

21 June 2006 19:17

TR,

I would like to recommend the AHS Officers rethink the current policy of restricting the Search and NewPosts features to paid members only.  I think it is not right to restrict Guests such as Seb who’ve substantively participated in the former forum.  If you recall, Seb has been very helpful in finding and presenting a lot of useful heraldic/armory data for the AHS, viz., Spanish emblazons; Spanish Grants to Mexican Indians; Medieval Standards; etc.

When a board meeting convenes I’d like my recommendation to be placed on the agenda.

Thanks,

DRShorey

DRShorey
Total Posts:  528
Joined  11-12-2005

21 June 2006 19:49

Guy,

Speaking for myself, I think it is to the organization’s benefit to encourage individuals to join as members. Membership being only $20.00 is frankly quite reasonable. The limitations placed on non members are not prohibitive on their participation in the public forums, but enticements to join as members.

Dave Shorey

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

21 June 2006 20:06

Dave,

I agree that enticements are fine—but normal search and new posts features can hardly be considered enticements.  To me enticements would be publications, a nifty tie, tie tack or lapel pin—even a coffee mug; stuff like that.

I can understand a "members only" section a’la The Heraldry Society of Scotland where members can discuss internal goings-on, etc.; but "search" and "new posts" features seem a rather pedestrian forum function, not a perk.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

21 June 2006 20:42

I understand what Dave is saying, but I agree with Guy on this. Of course I am new, so take it for what it’s worth. smile

J Duncan of Sketraw

J Duncan of Sketraw
Total Posts:  271
Joined  15-01-2006

22 June 2006 01:02

I have to agree with Guy I think the ‘search function’ should be enabled, it is not to bad to find posts at the moment but as the amount of posts increases it may be detrimental for encouraging people to participate or search for information.

Steve

Steve
Total Posts:  16
Joined  21-05-2006

24 June 2006 10:48

I, too, had a pretty good thread going with lots of helpful suggestions from members and would like to be able to follow up on it to see if there were any new posts to it. If this is no longer possible, so be it, but one member did have some suggestions about where I could register my arms. Would that member please repost those sugesstions as a reply to this post. Thank you in advance.

Steve

Stuart

Stuart
Total Posts:  230
Joined  01-12-2005

24 June 2006 16:37

http://usheraldicregistry.com/index.htm

http://www.americancollegeofheraldry.org/

http://makepeace.ca/nehgs/registration/

These are the three I would recommend.

The Augustan Society is not currently answering e-mails or snail mail.

Steve

Steve
Total Posts:  16
Joined  21-05-2006

25 June 2006 15:16

Thanks, Stuart. The U.S. Heraldic Registry was the one I was looking for (since registration seems to be free). Have you (or anyone else) registered with them? If so, how did it go?

Stuart

Stuart
Total Posts:  230
Joined  01-12-2005

25 June 2006 15:23

Very easy and friendly, and run by our secretary, Michael Swanson!

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

25 June 2006 15:52

Man oh man Mike. You have a lot of irons in the fire. wink

I do have a question though; how would I register my arms? Technically they were not designed for me.  Rather, I designed them for my grandfather after my uncle and Dad asked me to. So, on that society’s application section I’m not sure which way I should register them. Should I just have my Dad and uncle register them for their dad - who is now deceased? Or can I register them for my granddad and not have to bother Dad out of his busy life of retirement golf and fishing?