Roman Parish Arms

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

18 December 2008 13:31

Here is the coat of arms used by the parish of Ss. Trinitá dei Pelligrini in Rome. This parish is staffed by the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter (FSSP), a group which preserves the use of the older form of the mass as celebrated prior to the liturgical changes of the 1960s. This is known today as the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite. The arms are interesting. The scallop shell is a symbol of pilgrims (as in the name of the parish) as the all-seeing eye within a triangle is a symbol of the Trinity. NB: it is NOT a masonic symbol as so many erroneously believe. I do not know if these arms existed prior to when Pope Benedict XVI entrusted this parish to the FSSP (just last year) so I don’t know if the scallop shell in the arms is also possibly an allusion to the Pope’s arms. I’ll be in Rome next month so I’ll see if I can find out.

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/1416/fsspchristmasyp4.jpg

Doug Welsh

Doug Welsh
Total Posts:  445
Joined  20-06-2008

18 December 2008 16:15

I will note, Father, that Masons are seldom the ones to claim the presence of "Masonic Symbols".  That is the usual preserve of people who know little to nothing of the topics.  The two charges are both much older than both Freemasonry and Armory.  I do look forward, though, to your future clarification.

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

18 December 2008 21:40

Doug Welsh;65238 wrote:

I will note, Father, that Masons are seldom the ones to claim the presence of "Masonic Symbols".

That’s very interesting but who said I was addressing masons? What I wrote was:

gselvester;65234 wrote:

...the all-seeing eye within a triangle is a symbol of the Trinity. NB: it is NOT a masonic symbol as so many erroneously believe.

I simply referred to the erroneous beliefs of "so many".

Doug Welsh

Doug Welsh
Total Posts:  445
Joined  20-06-2008

19 December 2008 13:58

I know, Father.  We tend to be sensitive to such "claims", so I just noted, from a different perspective, agreement with you that they are not "Masonic symbols".