bad design for a college

emrys

emrys
Total Posts:  852
Joined  08-04-2006

17 August 2006 11:03

I came across this news of the unveiling of a new coat of arms, clearly a design that could have been much better.

http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/522809/

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

17 August 2006 11:24

Agreed. This design, well…it sucks.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

17 August 2006 12:24

Well, on the bright side, it’s nice that Lincoln College decided to follow the tradition that such places have arms.  ("The glass is half full, really it is, no, see, it’s not almost empty, there are a couple of drops, well, it’s damp anyway…")

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Joined  29-07-2006

17 August 2006 12:31

:D : lolol
Joseph McMillan wrote:

Well, on the bright side, it’s nice that Lincoln College decided to follow the tradition that such places have arms.  ("The glass is half full, really it is, no, see, it’s not almost empty, there are a couple of drops, well, it’s damp anyway…")

Chapulin

Chapulin
Total Posts:  480
Joined  19-08-2005

17 August 2006 12:42

I 2nd that lololol!!!

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

17 August 2006 12:57

Joseph McMillan wrote:

"The glass is half full, really it is, no, see, it’s not almost empty…"

To quote Woody Allen:

Yes, I do see the glass as half full…just with poison!

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

17 August 2006 13:02

"The coat of arms was developed by resident faculty leaders with input from other WVU administrators."

It’s a shame that a college would have so many faculty who are insufficiently literate to pick up the simplest book on heraldry.

I hope the college will soon be deluged with email conveying similar sentiments.

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

17 August 2006 19:14

Along with awards for good examples of arms, how about this organization also send out awards for crappy ones?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

17 August 2006 19:21

Better idea:  send them a letter saying we saw the story, pleased that they are following the tradition of academic heraldry, blah, blah, blah, but offering our assistance in developing a more distinctive and classically heraldic design, etc.

My idea right off the cuff:  Azure an open book ppr leathered and edged Gold, on a chief dancetty of three full downward points (i.e., forming the letters WV) Or a woodsman’s (i.e., railsplitter’s) axe proper.  That captures the book and the mountains from their version, a symbol for Lincoln, and a reference to West Virginia, as well as being in the university colors.

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

17 August 2006 19:35

Joseph McMillan wrote:

Better idea:  send them a letter saying we saw the story, pleased that they are following the tradition of academic heraldry, blah, blah, blah, but offering our assistance in developing a more distinctive and classically heraldic design, etc.

Sounds like a job for the director of education.

Edward Wenzl

Edward Wenzl
Total Posts:  158
Joined  18-04-2006

17 August 2006 20:38

Well, Glory Be, Hallelujah!  When I was in high school, I started looking around for examples of heraldic usage in the US.  There wasn’t much to be found as heraldry was pretty much a taboo back then.  This composition is an excellent representative of what I found.  Gee, a generation later and not much has changed :-(

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Joined  29-07-2006

17 August 2006 20:39

Madalch wrote:

Sounds like a job for the director of education.

Yeah, he doesn’t have anything better to do. wink

David Boven

David Boven
Total Posts:  1063
Joined  29-04-2004

18 August 2006 08:43

Joseph McMillan wrote:

I think that this is a great idea. If they got a letter from the President of the American Heraldry Society, maybe they will decided to do something about the design. It looks like they didn’t drop a big wad of cash on a graphic designer for a new logo. They also shouldn’t be too attached to this design yet. I say we act now.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Joined  29-07-2006

18 August 2006 08:59

Nice idea, Dave. Well, Mr. Griffith? Whaddya say?

Edward Wenzl

Edward Wenzl
Total Posts:  158
Joined  18-04-2006

18 August 2006 20:18

Based on my experience in academe, I predict a great deal of action would occure if the AHS were to send the college a letter suggesting another design for the dorm’s arms.  The Faculty Senate would form a committee to study the viability and credibility of the AHS.  The Student Senate would pass a resolution that it be given a voice in any future discussions and plans even though the dorm council may have had an input originaly and call for a all student open discussion on the need for arms.  The alumni would protest about some outside organization butting its way into college business.  The president would then for the form "The Special Ad-Hoc Committe on Heraldry in the Twenty-First Century as it pertains to the College."  My recommenation is send an overnight express letter tonight.

Stayed tuned next semester for the dramatic and exciting conclusion.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

19 August 2006 06:00

Well they saw the need for a CoA and perhaps they can be guided into adopting a truly heraldic one.