Mosaic heraldry on the General Accident Building in Philly

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

12 October 2006 23:26

Some of the tiles are falling off, but they still look great.  I wish someone would restore them.  The building is on Walnut in the Society Hill district of Philly.

[ATTACH]90[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]91[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]92[/ATTACH]

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

13 October 2006 12:39

Someone should restore these NOW!!!

They’re great, but imagine what they’d be if restored!!!

Kelisli

Kelisli
Total Posts:  570
Joined  13-08-2006

13 October 2006 14:55

Thank you Michael for sharing these wonderful pictures.  It is sad indeed, that in this day and age, and in a country like ours, such heritage is not restored :(

I find it interesting that the British Royal Arms is present with a lot of other arms that are on Italian shields!  It is sad how they painted the British arms of dominion though…completely missing the correct metals and tinctures.

Such a beautiful collection though…in very bad shape!

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

13 October 2006 16:04

Kelisli wrote:

Thank you Michael for sharing these wonderful pictures.  It is sad indeed, that in this day and age, and in a country like ours, such heritage is not restored :(

I find it interesting that the British Royal Arms is present with a lot of other arms that are on Italian shields!  It is sad how they painted the British arms of dominion though…completely missing the correct metals and tinctures.

Such a beautiful collection though…in very bad shape!

I suspect the British arms are supposed to be unpainted since they are in relief.  This was a recent "destructive" act with good intentions.

Kelisli

Kelisli
Total Posts:  570
Joined  13-08-2006

13 October 2006 17:30

I agree, the paint job on the arms of the UK seems to have been a mistake.  However, there are lots of arms in relief in Europe and elsewhere that are also painted.  I also just noticed that the dexter supporter is heraldically incorrect!  It is not guardant and is not crowned with the imperial crown.  The sinister supporter is also missing its chain!