heraldic arts in the Netherlands

emrys

emrys
Total Posts:  852
Joined  08-04-2006

25 October 2006 04:28

On this site you can see all kinds of heraldic displays in the Netherlands.

http://home.planet.nl/~vers1297/heraldiek.htm

Kelisli

Kelisli
Total Posts:  570
Joined  13-08-2006

05 November 2006 09:57

Ton,

Thanks for pointing this site to us.  It has some great examples of beautiful Dutch structural heraldry.  I certainly have an affinity for Dutch heraldry for very similar reasons to my liking Nordic heraldry…its simplicity of the shield.  Of course some of the pictures remind me of my six months living in Rotterdam, which I have very fond memories of smile .

Thanks again,

Hassan

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

05 November 2006 10:46

Ton,

A friend of mine, Hugo Neyenhuis, has shown me his "familiewapen"—I suspected it might be a bucket shop production, but the image he sent was nicely emblazoned .... except: written below the shield was the family name "Neyenhuis".  I’m not sure when he got the emblazon, but he’s just turned 80—so it might have been one of the items he brought in the 1950s when he emigrated.

Does Dutch heraldry subscribe to the "Polish House Rule"? (I just named that rule, by the way, so don’t Google it smile )  That is: is every Nederlander named Neyenhuis considered to be "of the same family" and entitled to the same arms unchanged?

As I recall, his arms were "Or on a pale Azure fimbriated Argent a six-point star also Or.  Set for crest was a six-point star Or.  The star was the "star of David" type.  I’m also wondering if the "fimbriated Argent" was artistic license since that would place metal upon metal?

Thanks,

Guy

emrys

emrys
Joined  08-04-2006

05 November 2006 17:01

Quote:

Does Dutch heraldry subscribe to the "Polish House Rule"?

No you have to be a member of the family, so to say, to be able to use the arms so not everyone with the same name can use the same arms.

Quote:

As I recall, his arms were "Or on a pale Azure fimbriated Argent a six-point star also Or. Set for crest was a six-point star Or. The star was the "star of David" type. I’m also wondering if the "fimbriated Argent" was artistic license since that would place metal upon metal?

probably artistic licence,  a six point star is the standard star or "ster" in Dutch heraldry, any other number of points has to be specified.

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

05 November 2006 22:28

Thanks Ton!

—Guy

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

05 November 2006 22:41

this sure is a nice link Ton. smile

emrys

emrys
Joined  08-04-2006

06 November 2006 03:20

yes it is a nice site the fellow that runs the site has put a lot of time and effort into it.