Hauszeichen

Ben Foster

Ben Foster
Total Posts:  208
Joined  12-05-2006

25 October 2006 16:49

I have always found the use of the "Hauszeichen" or "Hausmark" in German and Swiss heraldry to be fascinating.  In many cases these marks are quite old, and served a very functional purpose of identifying a family’s tools, houses, goods, etc.  Ed Wenzel’s arms contain a particularly fine example.  I would be curious if other members or guests have examples from their families that they would like to share.

Here are a few examples others may find interesting.

http://surf.agri.ch/tschumi/images/HZ.jpg

emrys

emrys
Total Posts:  852
Joined  08-04-2006

25 October 2006 17:32

these hausmarks or Dutch "huismerken" are also common in Dutch heraldry

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

25 October 2006 18:17

Housemarks are used somewhat in Finnish/Swedish heraldry.  Svens number 3 is the housemark of my greatgrandfather Mikel Svens, who changed his name to Michael Swanson when he immigrated.  I considered using the bomärk in my achievement but in the end decided against it.  Perhaps in a badge?  This picture was taken this year when I visited Rejpelt near Vasa, Finland.  The sign is located just a few blocks from where my ancestors lived from pre-1600 to immigration to the US.

[ATTACH]96[/ATTACH]

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Joined  26-02-2005

25 October 2006 18:51

As an aside, I was reading about Housemarks and came across the Culture of Póvoa de Varzim.  It indicates that the housemarks had a cadency system which added piques, or small marks, to the housemark for each son.  "The older son would have one pique, the next would have two, and so on." The youngest son would recieve the unmarked housemark because he was usually the one who got stuck taking care of his parents and inheriting the house.  Thus, they had the opposite of the Scottish system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Póvoa_de_Varzim

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siglas_poveiras

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

25 October 2006 18:59

Michael Swanson wrote:

It indicates that the housemarks had a cadency system which added piques, or small marks, to the housemark for each son.  "The older son would have one pique, the next would have two, and so on."

And if there were too many sons, you’d give up in a fit of pique.

Ben Foster

Ben Foster
Joined  12-05-2006

25 October 2006 21:26

Michael Swanson wrote:

Housemarks are used somewhat in Finnish/Swedish heraldry.  Svens number 3 is the housemark of my greatgrandfather Mikel Svens, who changed his name to Michael Swanson when he immigrated.  I considered using the bomärken in my achievement but in the end decided against it.  Perhaps in a badge?  This picture is when I visited Rejpelt near Vasa, Finland.  The sign is located just a few block from where my ancestors lived from pre-1600 to immigration to the US.

[ATTACH]96[/ATTACH]

Michael, the pic did not come through…can you repost?

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

25 October 2006 23:29

You know… these remind me of the ‘brands’ I’ve seen all over the place here in Colorado. Just a thought.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

26 October 2006 09:27

Michael Swanson wrote:

I considered using the bomärken in my achievement but in the end decided against it.

Oh, but you did use it in your arms, albeit unintentionally.  It’s embedded in the stalks of rye, if you look closely!

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Joined  26-02-2005

26 October 2006 09:52

Joseph McMillan wrote:

Oh, but you did use it in your arms, albeit unintentionally.  It’s embedded in the stalks of rye, if you look closely!

I am in awe of my unintentional brilliance.

Ben Foster

Ben Foster
Joined  12-05-2006

26 October 2006 10:40

Michael Swanson wrote:

I am in awe of my unintentional brilliance.

Wow, that worked out well.  I have always admired your arms, Michael.  What is their origin/inspiration?

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Joined  26-02-2005

26 October 2006 12:24

Ben Foster wrote:

Wow, that worked out well.  I have always admired your arms, Michael.  What is their origin/inspiration?

Here is a link to the rationale.

http://usheraldicregistry.com/pmwiki.php?n=Registrations.20060803A

I need to change the rationale, now that Joe has revealed something new. :-D

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

26 October 2006 20:59

Seems your arms are a bit like Shakespeare’s plays—the old boy would faint with amazement to hear a college professor "reveal" the hidden meanings etc.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

26 October 2006 23:17

Mike this is nice. I love the rationale behind the arms. 8)

Ben Foster

Ben Foster
Joined  12-05-2006

27 October 2006 10:18

Michael:

Thanks for sharing your arms and their origin.  They are great examples of American heraldry: innovation coupled with a respect for tradition.

I also like your idea of a badge.  One thought that comes to my mind is to somehow incorporate scythes and your house mark…this would seem to play well with the stalks of rye on the shield of arms.  I think I recall a similar crest or badge being used by the Hungerford family, but I can’t seem to find an example.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

27 October 2006 11:15

***OT***

Ben why aren’t your arms on the member’s arms page? Was that a personal choice to avoid having them there or are you waiting to have it done as you’re busy with other stuff? Just curious.

Ben Foster

Ben Foster
Joined  12-05-2006

27 October 2006 11:44

Donnchadh wrote:

***OT***

Ben why aren’t your arms on the member’s arms page? Was that a personal choice to avoid having them there or are you waiting to have it done as you’re busy with other stuff? Just curious.

Denny:

My arms are still a work in progress.  I feel that they are already very busy given the nature of the quartering, and the double crests.  I am considering using only the oldest Forster/Foster crest:  a stag’s head at gaze, erased proper, attired or.  This would allude to both families, in a way, because my great great grandfather Deppler was a Jagermeister for the Kingdom of Wurttemberg.  What do you think?

I am a member of a small hunting lodge, and I am using its arms as a "placeholder" for the time being.